Cant do some school work!

Guest sharp_lines

Guest sharp_lines

Heylo everyone. Occasionally i get school work which i find realy hard to do because of my ocd. I dont know what to do about it, i try to do it but i just get angry and upset. I dont know how to get around this problem...does anyone have this problem? i really need to get some of this work done, its GCSE work but i just cant. Even if i get everything done, the page is so messy from crossing out and re-writing you can hardly see the actual writing.

x

Hiya, an oldie :wheelchair: jumping in I'm afraid. :a1_cheesygrin:

I was just wondering....

Are there any teachers in school who know about your OCD who you could discuss this with? There may be some ways that the teachers could help support you with this.

My son is much younger than you but his teaching staff have been great when OCD interferes at school.

It must be really frustrating when this work is needed for your GCSE's.

Hope you can get this sorted. :original:

Best wishes,

Deb

Hiya, an oldie :wheelchair: jumping in I'm afraid. :a1_cheesygrin:

I was just wondering....

Are there any teachers in school who know about your OCD who you could discuss this with? There may be some ways that the teachers could help support you with this.

My son is much younger than you but his teaching staff have been great when OCD interferes at school.

It must be really frustrating when this work is needed for your GCSE's.

Hope you can get this sorted. :original:

Best wishes,

Deb

Hi Deb,

I'm doing GCSE and am suffering from similar symptoms as you. Whenever I do work I have to cross it out and re-write it if it is not written smoothly or I literally write over whatever I have just written which causes the ink to go through my page and ruins the next page.

Today at school I spoke to my teacher and explained to her why I hadn't been taking down the notes (my friend had been taking them down for me as it takes me far too long and I can't even read my own handwriting) and she was OK with it. She was a bit annoyed with me in the lesson as she asked me if I am taking down the notes and I just said no which is a bit odd but what more could I say as I do not want the whole class finding out about my OCD.

Tomorrow my mum has an appointment with the school to discuss what the school can offer me during exam time. I am hoping to get extra time as the OCD goes out of control during exams (I can't stop checking, writing over and over, touching etc.). I also read on a website that I can get a 'scriber' which is basically someone who would write down the work for me rather than me writing as this would be easier at school.

If you get your parents to phone the school or maybe you see someone who would deal with this sort of thing at school and arrange an appointment with them then maybe they can help. I want to try and get extensions for homework and coursework because so much of my time is taken up. I did this piece of coursework in maths where we had to count letters, words, syllables and sentences of newspaper articles which I thought would not take me as long as everyone else as this iswhat the OCD makes me do but in the end I spent much more time on it than everyone else.

Anyways I hope this helps.

Ricky.

P.S. If you want to stay in touch to talk about things then just send me a PM.

Hello,

Another oldie jumping in I'm afraid.....

My son took his GCSE's in June this year, he had been struggling for a while with OCD, and found it hard to concentrate because of OCD thoughts and rituals he had to do to get rid of them. We finally had a meeting with the Headteacher and his Head of year and one or two other relevant members of staff. The outcome was he was given a lot of support in school, he could stay after school, stay in at dinnertime to catch up.....I know that doesn't sound very appealing, but he was also given a time-out card in case the OCD got so bad he needed to escape from the classroom (he never had to use this but I think it just eased the pressure, knowing he had a means of escape) We had monthly meetings with his Head of year because he feared at the beginning of the year that my son would fail all his GCSE's. This was all done in strictest confidence, only a limited number of teaching staff were made aware of the problem. I'm not saying it was easy but he did come through it, and I'm sure you can with the right support from school. I know its difficult, but if there is someone in school you could talk to about how the OCD is affecting your ability to do your work, I am sure the school would do everything they could to help you.

Wishing you good luck and all the best

Sue :original:

Edited by soixante
Guest sharp_lines

Heylo. Thank you very much for your replies. Im not sure what i should do, however, because my parents do not know yet. A teacher at school knows, my best friend and my girlfriend know. Thats all. Today i tried 5 times to start a piece of homework, but i couldnt do it. This was partly because i keep crossing things out, and partly because the subject of the homework invokes problems with my ocd. Should i approach my teacher? (this is not the same one). Ive started writing words or phrases that cause problems at the bottom of the page (due to a counting idea that doing something 3 times has no effect), and this means i miss bits of the lesson. None of my teachers have noticed yet, but i almost wish they would. I find it less hard to talk about if someone asks me about it. I also worry sometimes that im faking it...i worry that its not really the ocd, and its just me blaming it on it...this gets me really upset, causing me to miss further parts of the lesson. During one lesson today, i had to ask to go to the toilet because i got so upset about it. I think thats a decent part of it off my chest, sorry, i had a pretty hard day today.

x

hiya

i suffer from exactly the same thing as you and im studying for GCSE's to.

is there any teacher at school you would be able to discuss your problems with, as my mum talked to the school and i can take time out of lessons if it gets to much and i have a teaching assisstant and a learning support teacher. this means i can go and see someone to talk to or just have a few moments. i go to the learning support base if the ocd get out of hand, this way i am away from the situation and noone needs to know where i am.

if you get a parent to ring the school, they may be able to sort out someone or somewhere you can go, even to just catch up with work.

i can also have a scribe in exams if i want to, i know how hard it is to struggle with these problems at school, especially when noone really knows, its such a horrible feeling.

i hope things start to look up for you

luce xx