How to resize images

A few people have had problems uploading their images to the gallery, this is usually because the image is too big in size, to keep our server space down we limit images to a specific size, anything over 1mb will not upload. For those without image software, this independent website (use at your own risk) should be able to resize the image for you: resize2mail

1. Browse your PC for the image

2. Select either portrait or landscape and the best image size for PC uploading is 450x600, the larger image size should also be ok 540x720

3. Click ok

4. Either download the image, or right click on it and then click 'save picture as', but important do not use the same image name as your original file or you will overwrite the original file.

5. Upload the new image to the gallery

• 3 years later...

With thanks to Sun&clouds for this tip. There is another option to manipulate images using a free image editing software called GIMP (General Image Manipulation Program) which is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

For those that wish to proceed (at your own risk) the following information is designed to help you resize an image for uploading to a website, and making images smaller to email to family and friends.

To download GIMP visit their website here and click the orange Download GIMP link.

Once installed and opened it is fairly simple to use the basic features to resize an image, there are lots of other tools to edit your images, but my advice is to make a backup of an image, and then just play around with the tools to see what they all do.

But to resize an image first you need to take a look at the image, so from the File menu click open and browse to your image that you wish to resize (I suggest making a backup of the original first). With the image loaded from the menu click Image > Image Properties. What this will do is show you the current image size and most important the file size (size in memory).

As a general rule, although you can play around, 800 x 600 is a good image size for web use with lower file size.

Resizing an Image

But to resize an image these are the steps.

1. With the image open click Image > Scale Image

(it is important to scale an image because if you change the horizontal or vertail size, the software will automatically rescale the image so that it stays in proportion).

2. Look at the current sizes, and enter either 800 into the field with the largest size, then click Scale.

3. The image will now be smaller, if you click the Image Properties again you can check the file size is now lower than 1mb.

4. Now you need to save the file, IMPORTANT do not click File > Save this will overwrite your original image and if you have not made a backup you have lost your original large quality image (see below), click File > Save As and then choose another file name and save as a JPG or Gif (change the file extension if needed).

Note: If you do accidently save over an original image, provided you have not closed it, go back to the image and try reverting changes (Edit Revert or Undo changes or CTRL Z), sometimes you are lucky and get your original image back, then you can resave the original).

Rotating an Image

To turn an image on it's side Image > Transform > Flip as required.

• 3 months later...
Guest Chelley

I my photo club, they want everything sent at 72 resolution, 10.24 x7.68 depending on whether its horizontal or vertical. if its square, try 7.68x 7.68 as long as its under 10.24 if its a photo you think you would later like to print put resolution at 300 to get best clarity, note: at 300 you

can only upload one at a time.

hope this helps, questions ? ask anything I will answer if i can.

love of photography Chelley

• Ashley unpinned this topic