OCD and Design

Guest kathyk

Hi,

I am a design student and am currently working towards my final year project. I attended an OCD event last night and with Prof Salkovskis, which I found to be a valuable insight into the condition. I am very interested in basing my project around OCD, anxiety and phobia's, as two of my close friends suffer from OCD.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has managed to find comfort from their OCD through objects? I am interested to know whether it is possible to design an objects or series of objects that can help reduce the anxiety of a sufferer and also help them to get over their OCD?

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts,

Thankyou!

Kathryn

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi Kathryn

I am interested to know whether it is possible to design an objects or series of objects that can help reduce the anxiety of a sufferer and also help them to get over their OCD?

It's a nice idea, perhaps, to create a personal object that has the talisman-like property of comforting someone in their time of need... but the problem is that OCD is a very personal thing based on an individual's deeply-ingrained anxieties. I suspect that your task to design something to ease the burden would be a tricky one because the things that reassure some won't reassure others.

Good for you for showing an interest in your friends' OCD, though.

Scott

:)

Something thats helped me is my orange 'Just a thought?' OCDUK wristband.

Well... sometimes I wish the question mark wasn't there when Im feeling really anxious, but its bright and unobtrusive, and reminds me what Im fighting here.

Guest purrfect

I find comfort in a lot of things, but I suppose the thing that calms me the most is my MP3 player. Whenver I'm out in the world I must have it if not I panic. When I switch it on, the world and its dangers go away. I listen to it overnight too, if I wake up it stops me panicing. It is something I have done since I was about 7 and I got my first walkman, then moved on to personal cd player and finally the MP3 player. Although it calms me, I find myself constantly cleaning it (usually with flash wipes, the are really good, plus if you rub them hard enough they produce a foam that gets into the bits you cannot reach).

I know this isn't really relevant, but I never thought of it as a "crutch" till now.

As far as design, i often design things myself, little projects. I am working just now on a plan for a house we are planning to build (an environmentally friendly home). I make mosaic tables and candlesticks and design and make some of my own clothes.

Guest cosmicstring

Hi, its an interesting concept.

Are you serching for some comminality of form or synasthesic combination that helps ocd sufferers deal with the anxiety being unable to control their environment?

My personnal thought is that there isn't a common element other than the lack of control that we feel in our lives. Although, i would have to temper this with the fact that on a personal basis, i tend to get very attached to some objects, and they tend to act as an escape mechanism.

******** if I know why!!

Maybe, you are trying to re-discover the teddy bear??

My personal opinion is that as an OCD sufferer, I am not the strange one, but a realist - life is dangerous, there are an incalculable number of factors that effect our existance. What's the difference between trying to control one's environment by avoiding crumbs on bus seats (something which i have suffered with since the age of 4) and trying to influence the universe through faith and prayer?

Is not faith just a more socially acceptable form of superstition??

I think that if you want to design an object that is of help to an OCD sufferer then you need to search for the quintessential escence of control. Dunno what that is though - to abuse a common metaphore, who is in charge, the infant at their mother's breast or the mother?

By the way, who is Prof Salkovskis??

Guest george25

I'm a graphic designer myself and did a degree in communication design and I warn you youve picked a tricky subject. The problem here is you don't suffer yourself from the sound of it and tutors love projects straight from the heart. I've had ocd since I was nine and I didn't even attempt it as a final year project but if you have already committed to it try to think of ocd as an instruction manual cause for a lot of us that's what it is like, we all come with our own set of instructions. What I mean by this is everyones ocd is unique and the rituals differ from person to person maybe design a set of manuals for an ocd sufferer but have a twist like there is no real conclusion just like in real life or have the solution as temporary one as in real life for an ocd sufferer? hope this helps as I know how stressful the end of year project can be!

Guest jacob1984

kathyk

i'm an architecture student (suffering from ocd), currently basing my design concepts around ocd (not out of choice always). EDITED OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION (Rachie)

once i've worked it alll out i will post what i've thought/gained on the board

Dhiresh

Guest jacob1984

oh by the way, in terms of design, do not think of your products or outccomes being theraputical. I think this is the sad part of suffering from ocd for me, is that it is not 100% curable- that said i truly believe ocd makes me a better person in certain situations.

think of situations, think of the circumstances, then think of where the person is. in terms of your design, ask specific question, and gain a consensus- i've found people on this forum to be extremely forward and friendly- they will help in any way possible.

it is not simple but even if you gain a small understanding of the 'obesssive condition' as i refer to it in design terms you will begin to understand the stipulations related to it.

you've been brave, but wise in choosing such a subject, because it could in theory make many peoples lives easier.

d

Hi Kathryn

It's a nice idea, perhaps, to create a personal object that has the talisman-like property of comforting someone in their time of need... but the problem is that OCD is a very personal thing based on an individual's deeply-ingrained anxieties. I suspect that your task to design something to ease the burden would be a tricky one because the things that reassure some won't reassure others.

Good for you for showing an interest in your friends' OCD, though.

Scott

:)

Hi Scott,

Thanks very much for getting back to me! I know what you mean about the huge varients of OCD. I have been lucky enough to meet with several sufferers over the past few weeks who have given me a valuable and honest insight into their individual OCD. I am frightened I have undertaken an impossible task, but I believe we are living in such "anxious times" at the moment, that it is a very relevant and important area to investigate. I don't know if it is possible to design a generic "object" to help people, or whether it is better if I focus on individuals? I am very concious not to create anything, which patronises or belittles the condition, so forums like this are so helpful to try and gain a better understanding. I am interested to know what you mean by an object with talisman like properties, what would that mean to you?

Thanks!

Kathryn

Hi, its an interesting concept.

Are you serching for some comminality of form or synasthesic combination that helps ocd sufferers deal with the anxiety being unable to control their environment?

My personnal thought is that there isn't a common element other than the lack of control that we feel in our lives. Although, i would have to temper this with the fact that on a personal basis, i tend to get very attached to some objects, and they tend to act as an escape mechanism.

******** if I know why!!

Maybe, you are trying to re-discover the teddy bear??

My personal opinion is that as an OCD sufferer, I am not the strange one, but a realist - life is dangerous, there are an incalculable number of factors that effect our existance. What's the difference between trying to control one's environment by avoiding crumbs on bus seats (something which i have suffered with since the age of 4) and trying to influence the universe through faith and prayer?

Is not faith just a more socially acceptable form of superstition??

I think that if you want to design an object that is of help to an OCD sufferer then you need to search for the quintessential escence of control. Dunno what that is though - to abuse a common metaphore, who is in charge, the infant at their mother's breast or the mother?

By the way, who is Prof Salkovskis??

Hey,

thankyou for taking the time to respond to me. You have made some very helpful and interesting points. When I first embarked on this project, I was interested to know if I could create a generic object that would alleviate a type of OCD, ie) checking, but as my research has continued, I have realised this may not be possible. I am also very aware of the fact that it is not advisable to create something that encourages an OCD, for example, somthing that may offer comfort to someone with OCD may just be encouraging the behaviour, and therefore not improving their quality of life?

I'm interested in what you wrote about the feeling of "lack of control", many people I have spoken to have used these words, and I'm interested where the need for control comes from aswell? In some cases I have spoken to people who feel the line between fear and control is very blurred. You also made some very interesteing points about faith and superstition as well which I have just began to look into.

I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this project and many people, my tutors in particular, have tried to warn me against choosing such a difficult project, and I'm not that deluded that I believe I can change the world! I am just so interested in the subject and having two friends who suffer from the condition has made it even more personal and important to me. Perhaps there is nothing I can do to help, and perhaps I am being naive in believing that objects may be able to offer comfort, but I think this subject is too important and prevelant not to investigate?

Thanks again,

Kathryn

ps Prof Salkovskis is a leading expert in the field of OCD, and I beleive he was involved in the tv programme "house of OCD" a while ago? Very interesting man who has worked with OCD patients for several years.

Edited by Guest

Hey,

Thanks for your message! You are right, final year is so stressful! All my tutors have warned me against doing what I want to do for various reasons and I am totally aware of the fact that it a tricky area to investigate, which frightens me alot...The last thing I want to do is create something, which is either patronising or insensitive to an OCD sufferer, as having spoken to several sufferers, I realise how much it affects peoples lives. I like your idea of an instruction manual, and I like the narrative behind the concept as well. Perhaps there is no tangible "solution", maybe it's more a question of raising awareness or posing a question to people about OCD? I don't know at this stage, but I am in the process of exploring ways in which I can intervene in a situaion or ritual (if that makes sense??) and see what comes from that??

Thanks again for you advice!

Kathryn

oh by the way, in terms of design, do not think of your products or outccomes being theraputical. I think this is the sad part of suffering from ocd for me, is that it is not 100% curable- that said i truly believe ocd makes me a better person in certain situations.

think of situations, think of the circumstances, then think of where the person is. in terms of your design, ask specific question, and gain a consensus- i've found people on this forum to be extremely forward and friendly- they will help in any way possible.

it is not simple but even if you gain a small understanding of the 'obesssive condition' as i refer to it in design terms you will begin to understand the stipulations related to it.

you've been brave, but wise in choosing such a subject, because it could in theory make many peoples lives easier.

d

Hi Dhiresh,

Thanks for you message. It's good to know someone else is embarking on the subject! It is interesting to read that you feel that your OCD has contributed to your life in a positive way and you feel it has made you a better person in certain situations? I have heard this from a couple of sufferers I have spoken to. I will take your advice on board about investigating situations and circumstances, as I feel this is the most crucial part if I want to try and design something that is sensitive, accurate and worthwhile. I have been lucky enough to meet up with sufferers who have given me an honest and valuable insight into their condition which has helped me gain a better idea of OCD (although I appreciate, I can never gain a true understading as I am not a sufferer myself).

All my tutros have warned me against taking this project on, as they believe it is a "risky" area to embark upon. I understand where they are coming from, but I believe it is important. Perhaps I can't create anything that can improve the life of someone with OCD, but imagine if I could? Maybe I am deluded in my aspiratoin, but I feel I need to try tackling this subject area as I have now seen how dibilatating the condition can be, and would like to try and make life easier for OCD sufferers?

I would be interested to hear how your project progresses, keep in touch!

Kathryn

I find comfort in a lot of things, but I suppose the thing that calms me the most is my MP3 player. Whenver I'm out in the world I must have it if not I panic. When I switch it on, the world and its dangers go away. I listen to it overnight too, if I wake up it stops me panicing. It is something I have done since I was about 7 and I got my first walkman, then moved on to personal cd player and finally the MP3 player. Although it calms me, I find myself constantly cleaning it (usually with flash wipes, the are really good, plus if you rub them hard enough they produce a foam that gets into the bits you cannot reach).

I know this isn't really relevant, but I never thought of it as a "crutch" till now.

As far as design, i often design things myself, little projects. I am working just now on a plan for a house we are planning to build (an environmentally friendly home). I make mosaic tables and candlesticks and design and make some of my own clothes.

Hey,

thanks for your message. I'm interested to read that you have found a way to relieve your anxiety using your MP3 player, and I'm pleased to read that this is able to calm you down.

What things have you designed for yourself, are they related to your OCD? Do you find that your creativity alleviates your anxiety as well?

Thanks!

Kathryn

ps I don't know if this weblink is of any use to you, but I found it when I was looking into Eco-house design and it was quite interesting. http://www.ecologicalhomes.com.au. Good luck with your house design, I would love to do that, sounds fantastic! :clapping:

What about something that would help people control their breathing, thus calm down, possibly whilst offering some kind of distraction?

eg: Okay, I know this is highly unfeasible, but something like a game boy (distraction) that somehow measured breathing rates, and showed an alert if someone was breathing too fast/ forgetting to breathe (I know that sounds stupid, but I do it all the time!)

Guest Brainiac

Hi

I think the whole design idea is a very challenging concept, but why not have a go?? I can't think of an object that would help, but distraction helps me as a long term aid and the knowledge that I am not alone with all this can be a great comfort, also the Just a thought? slogan ( I agree about the question mark though - or does that signify the doubt we have )

Hope that was of some help. :original: