Challenge Club-Merged Threads

1 hour ago, Storm said:

Thanks Roy, I also cleaned a radiator I had been avoiding for a long time. It was an example of the solution becoming the problem. I decided that it was too “dirty” to clean, so I stopped cleaning it. But then it became truly unclean and a massive job. If i had just cleaned it regularly it would only have needed a brief wipe over but today it took me quite a while. I’ll keep up on top of it now. 

Well done storm, you’ve done amazing ? be very proud of yourself, what an achievement :cheer:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hey Roy it sounds like it’s been a good prosperous day for you, which is great :yes:

Unfortunately it’s been a bit of a rough day for me :( me and the other half had a big barney this morning, I dyed my daughters hair which really stresses me out because of my ocd and then it turned out a mess, so my daughter was in tears ? Good news is I’ve managed to get her in to the hairdressers tomorrow so hopefully they can put it right again :yes:

So homework wise it’s not been a good day :( but tomorrow is another day :)

Well Julie and I don't deal well together on joint ownership things, so we have had some arguments and disagreements along the present pathway - we both think the other comes up with stupid ideas as well as good ones :(

But hey ho we are very well matched and both stubborn and opinionated so it's bound to happen from time to time. 

Golly, the dye thing is a tough one for you both ; what a shame as you were only trying to please her. 

I have accidentally torn the sheet on this double bed. It was already old and I think a toenail must have caught it. 

So I am awaiting the right moment to reveal it to J.:(

23 minutes ago, taurean said:

How is the kitten doing, Storm? 

She's ok thanks Roy, her eye has cleared up with drops. But the vets think she has a virus of some sort that she would have picked up from her mother and would always have in her system. He recommends they do a swab of her to send off for them to analyse. although theres nothing to swab at the moment. 

Other than that shes doing really well, I think shes happy living here (right now She is catching fish on a phone app and having a great time purring away). The boy on the other hand is a bit more reserved but loves a cuddle when hes 1 on 1. 

I'd like to join this thread. It's really motivational!

one thing I'm proud of is trying to overcome my avoidance of heights, and my avoidance of responsibility in 'risky' situations. I am doing this by going indoor climbing around once a week with my husband. He's a good climber anyway.

By going against my fear I have gained so much self esteem and feelings of pride. By belaying my husband when he is climbing I am taking full responsibility for his safety but in a constructive way, which has shown me I can be responsible and I won't harm him. You see I view myself as a very careless person, without much concentration or focus - which is why I'm scared to drive. I'm scared of hurting people . This is showing me the opposite.

I'm also normalising being high, and showing myself I can control myself and my mind. I won't just hurl myself off, or let go of the rope when I'm belaying.

i have spent so many years 'taking it easy' and not being too confrontationing of my fears in case I get overwhelmed and I'm not sure how much good it's done me. This is the first thing that I've done that is totally confronting and it's been a big success.

2 hours ago, JennieWren said:

one thing I'm proud of is trying to overcome my avoidance of heights, and my avoidance of responsibility in 'risky' situations. I am doing this by going indoor climbing around once a week with my husband. He's a good climber anyway.

By going against my fear I have gained so much self esteem and feelings of pride. By belaying my husband when he is climbing I am taking full responsibility for his safety but in a constructive way, which has shown me I can be responsible and I won't harm him. You see I view myself as a very careless person, without much concentration or focus - which is why I'm scared to drive. I'm scared of hurting people . This is showing me the opposite.

I'm also normalising being high, and showing myself I can control myself and my mind. I won't just hurl myself off, or let go of the rope when I'm belaying.

i have spent so many years 'taking it easy' and not being too confrontationing of my fears in case I get overwhelmed and I'm not sure how much good it's done me. This is the first thing that I've done that is totally confronting and it's been a big success.

This is fantastic! Massive well done, you should be really proud of yourself :):)

2 hours ago, JennieWren said:

:WootSign:JennieWren, that’s fantastic! Be very proud of yourself! 

Keep going you can do this :cheer::cheer:

I’m feeling really proud today :yes: I did something that’s not on my homework list. 

At first I thought no I can’t do this, it’s to much, what if this, what if that etc. But with a bit of shove I did it. 

I got my jacket on and I took my dog a walk around the block for twenty minutes on my own. It may not sound like a big deal but it really is. I didn’t check the switches etc before going out, I don’t like the thought of picking her poop up because of contamination fears, I don’t like going out alone because of my thoughts, I hate the idea I might see another dog whilst out it scares the hell out of me and I havnt had a shower since coming back in or not wiped things down I may have touched, only washed my hands and then made a sandwich and ate it. Still rather anxious ? but I know it will subside. Totally amazed in myself, feeling so pleased ? 

4 minutes ago, lostinme said:

I’m feeling really proud today :yes: I did something that’s not on my homework list. 

At first I thought no I can’t do this, it’s to much, what if this, what if that etc. But with a bit of shove I did it. 

I got my jacket on and I took my dog a walk around the block for twenty minutes on my own. It may not sound like a big deal but it really is. I didn’t check the switches etc before going out, I don’t like the thought of picking her poop up because of contamination fears, I don’t like going out alone because of my thoughts, I hate the idea I might see another dog whilst out it scares the hell out of me and I havnt had a shower since coming back in or not wiped things down I may have touched, only washed my hands and then made a sandwich and ate it. Still rather anxious ? but I know it will subside. Totally amazed in myself, feeling so pleased ? 

You absolute superstar Lost! This is fantastic! You should be so so proud of yourself! :):):)

4 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

You absolute superstar Lost! This is fantastic! You should be so so proud of yourself! :):):)

Thank you gbg :) I’ve been determined all day to do it and all day Ive tried to talk myself out of it, because of the fear I associate with it, but finally at 1.30 I did it. I just took a leap of faith :yes:

22 minutes ago, lostinme said:

What an achievement Lostie xx

2 hours ago, taurean said:

That's brilliant lost :thumbup:

That was really brave to take on all those exposures, really brave :yes:

Now you see the only thing stopping you doing those things is the threat messages from OCD. 

Thank you so much Roy,  I can’t believe I did it, but I did :cheer:  

I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD :yes:

Sorry I didn’t reply to your post earlier,  feeling a little embarrassed ? now,  I didn’t see your reply last time I logged in :(

I have had a bad afternoon.  I have allowed myself to really get sidetracked with compulsions.  I started googling news stories about celebrities going through court (why would I do that?!?) and ruminating on how I would cope with prison etc etc.... got myself into a state.  I know I shouldn't do these things so why do I! I listen to that bit of my brain which says "but what if this isn't OCD!". It is so convincing!

So... I'm giving myself a kick up the backside. 

My challenge for the rest of the day is to leave this be. No googling, no ruminating, no trying to find certainty, no asking my partner for reassurance.  I am going to leave it be - I am never going to get the total certainty I crave, ever, ever.  Just like I can''t have certainty about loads of things.  I just have to let it go.

I'm not playing OCD's game anymore.  :angry:

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

Thank you so much Roy,  I can’t believe I did it, but I did :cheer:  

I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD :yes:

Sorry I didn’t reply to your post earlier,  feeling a little embarrassed ? now,  I didn’t see your reply last time I logged in :(

That happens to me when there's a lot of forum activity. 

"I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD " Yea that is it - they seem real because they come through normal mental channels - but they are OCD alerts not real ones, geared to that erroneous OCD core belief. 

Edited by taurean

If we truly believe we can do something, then we can. 

If I am faced with something really challenging - including an exposure exercise - I remind myself of that, and I  might forward focus to the time when that exercise is done and dusted,and how great I will feel. 

20 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I have had a bad afternoon.  I have allowed myself to really get sidetracked with compulsions.  I started googling news stories about celebrities going through court (why would I do that?!?) and ruminating on how I would cope with prison etc etc.... got myself into a state.  I know I shouldn't do these things so why do I! I listen to that bit of my brain which says "but what if this isn't OCD!". It is so convincing!

So... I'm giving myself a kick up the backside. 

My challenge for the rest of the day is to leave this be. No googling, no ruminating, no trying to find certainty, no asking my partner for reassurance.  I am going to leave it be - I am never going to get the total certainty I crave, ever, ever.  Just like I can''t have certainty about loads of things.  I just have to let it go.

I'm not playing OCD's game anymore.  :angry:

Really sorry ? to hear you gave into your ocd thoughts and struggled so much this morning, but the good news is you’ve seen it for what it really is and your going to let it go and not give into it for the rest of the day :yes:

This goes to show that a bad day doesn’t necessarily just have to be a bad day :yes:

Youve got this gbg, keep going :cheer:

20 hours ago, JennieWren said:

Wow. You hit so many fears at once! That's amazing. I think this thread should be sent to every forum user who is struggling to show them what can be done. 

Thank you JennieWren ! It was hard but I did it anyway, I took that leap of faith :yes: 

Where there’s a will there’s a way :yes:

20 hours ago, taurean said:

That happens to me when there's a lot of forum activity. 

"I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD " Yea that is it - they seem real because they come through normal mental channels - but they are OCD alerts not real ones, geared to that erroneous OCD core belief. 

I think this is where I need to place more work at the moment ?