Challenge Club-Merged Threads

42 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Well today’s been very challenging, stressful, anxiety provoking and at one stage I was ready to give up :(

The good news is I did it all, even though everything was going against me and I mean everything :)

It would have been quite easy for me to give in especially when a shopping run was also in order, I can’t say I didn’t think of going to the bakers instead and giving up on one thing :yes: but I didn’t, I thought come on lost you can do this :yes: it was really hard, but I pushed forward with every ounce of determination and courage I’d got in me. 

Its been a really really hard day, but I’m feeling very proud that I managed to achieve it :cheer:

It is pretty full-on though isn't it? I get the feeling your therapist is throwing everything at you so the anxiety really peaks, but then you start to gain back control and it will ease. It's a technique if so known as "flooding". 

Remember  all the intrusions are just nonsense and connections from them outwards are not real connections. 

My OCD was making up all sorts of silly links to all kinds of unconnected things. Caramoole and Snowbear really helped me with this, really told me there ARE no connections, they are just nonsense. 

I believed them, and that aspect is not currently bothering me, and long may it continue. 

Edited by taurean
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, taurean said:

It is pretty full-on though isn't it? I get the feeling your therapist is throwing everything at you so the anxiety really peaks, but then you start to gain back control and it will ease. It's a technique if so known as "flooding". 

Remember  all the intrusions are just nonsense and connections from them outwards are not real connections. 

My OCD was making up all sorts of silly links to all kinds of unconnected things. Caramoole and Snowbear really helped me with this, really told me there ARE no connections, they are just nonsense. 

I believed them, and that aspect is not currently bothering me, and long may it continue. 

He is hoping by doing these more often, things will start to improve where I’m struggling? I’m hoping it works :yes: 

I would be lying if I said im not finding this really difficult because I am, but I’m putting all my determination and courage into doing this and even though it’s been a really anxious day, my anxiety as come down now and I don’t allow myself to ruminate over things either so that is truly helpful :yes:

I keep reminding myself it’s just the ocd and trying not to make connections and it’s all just nonsense. 

I need to put everything Ive got into this and not waste it, my cbt therapy is coming to a end shortly so I’m giving it my all. Hopefully my therapist will be happy with the achievements I’ve made this week :yes:

17 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

So... I managed not to confess (hurrah!) and the anxiety I felt did go down and I made it through and it was fine.

However... it's now been superseded - again - by another obsession, this time relating to my old false memory obsession.  I had that sudden "ohmygod I never thought of it like that!!" attack of dread, that horrible sense of newly found certainty that this time the fear is real. 

I am still feeling this struggle but I also recognise that this is just another in a long line of obsessions I've experienced recently and I need to stop trying to solve each one and instead see it all as part of the same problem. I know that rationally although I don't really feel it.

My challenge for the rest of today is to avoid any kind of reassurance - either in my head or by asking for it - and to distract myself with nice activities.  I'm telling myself: if I really still need to I can ruminate about this tomorrow.  Just not for the rest of today. 

How are you doing Lostinme and Roy? xx

Can totally relate to that line about you never having thought of it like that before and then the new found certainty. It's relentless isn't it. 

Glad you managed to resist 'confessing' and your warmer able to reduce your anxiety briefly. 

Hope your feeling better x

19 hours ago, taurean said:

Thanks lost. 

I have a real purpose to try and make the move happen - yet I have accepted that if it doesn't for any reason, then I know I will have tried my hardest. 

Accordingly I don't feel too pressured - I am so used to broking deals, so am treating this as just another deal. 

To Julie it's be all and end all - the property she wants in the location she wants, hence she feels enormous pressure. 

So two classic examples of feeling the pressure, or not accepting the pressure  involving two people and the same set of circumstances. Isn't that just proof that it's our reaction to the subject matter, not the subject matter, that is key to whether we cope or go under? 

Poor Julie is struggling to get up the stairs with her arthritis. Watching her is enough incentive for me to try and get these deals over the line. 

Fingers crossed, Roy.  I really hope it all goes swimmingly and the move goes really well.  Remember all your CBT techniques when you feel that stress rising! x

17 hours ago, lostinme said:

He is hoping by doing these more often, things will start to improve where I’m struggling? I’m hoping it works :yes: 

I would be lying if I said im not finding this really difficult because I am, but I’m putting all my determination and courage into doing this and even though it’s been a really anxious day, my anxiety as come down now and I don’t allow myself to ruminate over things either so that is truly helpful :yes:

I keep reminding myself it’s just the ocd and trying not to make connections and it’s all just nonsense. 

I need to put everything Ive got into this and not waste it, my cbt therapy is coming to a end shortly so I’m giving it my all. Hopefully my therapist will be happy with the achievements I’ve made this week :yes:

Well done Lost, your attitude and mindset is a real inspiration - we're with you all the way!! :):) xx

4 hours ago, Saz said:

Can totally relate to that line about you never having thought of it like that before and then the new found certainty. It's relentless isn't it. 

Glad you managed to resist 'confessing' and your warmer able to reduce your anxiety briefly. 

Hope your feeling better x

Thanks Saz.  Felt really bad this morning but feeling a bit better this afternoon.  Hope you're OK xx

1 hour ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Well done Lost, your attitude and mindset is a real inspiration - we're with you all the way!! :):) xx

Thank you so much gbg ? that really means a lot :) 

Ive managed to make my tea till 1 today and I’ve eaten two pieces of the cake I made ?, they would normally go straight in the bin uneaten because the anxiety would be to much to bare. It’s been a really trying week but I’m feeling really proud of my achievements, so I’m taking the afternoon off to recharge myself ready for new homework to start tomorrow :yes:

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad morning, but it’s good to hear your feeling a little better this afternoon. If you need a little advise or help regarding this please feel free to ask, we are here for you xx

Keep going folks. 

Some networking has borne fruit for me. 

We needed an electrician to replace some faulty wiring and fix some lights. My contact was too busy. 

I mentioned it to my chiropodist who said "don't worry Roy my son is a jobbing electrician!" 

He has been today and done the work :cheer:

We have also I think found a removers firm we like, and Mrs Roy told me  that what especially wound her up yesterday is our trip to the local Homebase, which is in the process of closing down. 

So better feelings from her today. 

Though she has, unfortunately, become an experienced mind-reader, and is driving me bonkers putting things forward that people are thinking, based on virtually no evidence. 

Aagghhh :(

4 hours ago, lostinme said:

Thank you so much gbg ? that really means a lot :) 

Ive managed to make my tea till 1 today and I’ve eaten two pieces of the cake I made ?, they would normally go straight in the bin uneaten because the anxiety would be to much to bare. It’s been a really trying week but I’m feeling really proud of my achievements, so I’m taking the afternoon off to recharge myself ready for new homework to start tomorrow :yes:

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad morning, but it’s good to hear your feeling a little better this afternoon. If you need a little advise or help regarding this please feel free to ask, we are here for you xx

Yes it's been tough for you lost, but you do have such determination :clapping:

Hope you had a better afternoon GBG. 

5 hours ago, taurean said:

Keep going folks. 

Some networking has borne fruit for me. 

We needed an electrician to replace some faulty wiring and fix some lights. My contact was too busy. 

I mentioned it to my chiropodist who said "don't worry Roy my son is a jobbing electrician!" 

He has been today and done the work :cheer:

We have also I think found a removers firm we like, and Mrs Roy told me  that what especially wound her up yesterday is our trip to the local Homebase, which is in the process of closing down. 

So better feelings from her today. 

Though she has, unfortunately, become an experienced mind-reader, and is driving me bonkers putting things forward that people are thinking, based on virtually no evidence. 

Aagghhh :(

That’s great news Roy, a little bit of networking got the job done :yes:

Glad to hear Julie is feeling better today, it’s just a shame she’s driving you bonkers re mind reading, but I think we have all been there sadly :(

1 hour ago, taurean said:

Yes it's been tough for you lost, but you do have such determination :clapping:

Hope you had a better afternoon GBG. 

Thanks Roy :) hope you are ok and still doing well :)

Determination keeps me going every day, I never want to go back to how things were, so no matter how many times I fall I’m going to pick myself up, dust myself down and start again :yes:

Hopefully over the next few weeks with doing this intense work I will start to see improvements in the 3 areas I’m suffering with. I also need to work on my core belief behind them at the same time, to hopefully get me through this :yes:

I know it won’t be easy but I’m giving it my all :yes:

We can do this :cheer:

Sounds a good plan lost. 

I am pleased to say that when properly making the bed, out popped the stylus for the smartphone :)

So here I am using it again. 

Also our lawyer rang me today and we resolved a couple of sticking points that had been bugging me - didn't get to sleep till 4 a.m.last night, then slept to 09.00, so hope to sleep better tonight :sleep:

10 hours ago, taurean said:

Sounds a good plan lost. 

I am pleased to say that when properly making the bed, out popped the stylus for the smartphone :)

Also our lawyer rang me today and we resolved a couple of sticking points that had been bugging me - didn't get to sleep till 4 a.m.last night, then slept to 09.00, so hope to sleep better tonight :sleep:

Thank you Roy, all I can do is try my hardest and hopefully come out the other end with a good work plan to keep working through these difficult ones :yes:

Its great you managed to resolve a few sticking points and found your stylus :)

Hope you had a better sleep ? and today is a good one for you :)

15 hours ago, lostinme said:

Thanks Roy :) hope you are ok and still doing well :)

Determination keeps me going every day, I never want to go back to how things were, so no matter how many times I fall I’m going to pick myself up, dust myself down and start again :yes:

Hopefully over the next few weeks with doing this intense work I will start to see improvements in the 3 areas I’m suffering with. I also need to work on my core belief behind them at the same time, to hopefully get me through this :yes:

I know it won’t be easy but I’m giving it my all :yes:

We can do this :cheer:

Yes go Lost!! I've said it before and I'll say it again - your attitude is a real inspiration! :):)

14 hours ago, taurean said:

Sounds a good plan lost. 

Hope you continue to make progress, Roy. Moving house is always so stressful and it is only made worse by having OCD to deal with as well.  Hopefully once it's all done and dusted it will all be worth it :)

Thanks lost, hope you do well today. 

Had an acceptable quote from the removers. 

We have dealt with another legal issue, and I took a load of chairs for resale at the recycle centre. 

Got some shredding to do later and download a form to have some chemicals collected for safe recycling. 

It's really cold here but nice and sunny - so won't need my SAD lightbox today :)

3 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Hope you continue to make progress, Roy. Moving house is always so stressful and it is only made worse by having OCD to deal with as well.  Hopefully once it's all done and dusted it will all be worth it :)

Onwards and hopefully upwards GBG.

So far the selling side has produced enormous paperwork for us to complete and provide. We are now waiting to see all the paperwork from the proposed purchase. 

Quite like being back at work!

Thanks Roy, I also cleaned a radiator I had been avoiding for a long time. It was an example of the solution becoming the problem. I decided that it was too “dirty” to clean, so I stopped cleaning it. But then it became truly unclean and a massive job. If i had just cleaned it regularly it would only have needed a brief wipe over but today it took me quite a while. I’ll keep up on top of it now. 

8 minutes ago, Storm said:

Thanks Roy, I also cleaned a radiator I had been avoiding for a long time. It was an example of the solution becoming the problem. I decided that it was too “dirty” to clean, so I stopped cleaning it. But then it became truly unclean and a massive job. If i had just cleaned it regularly it would only have needed a brief wipe over but today it took me quite a while. I’ll keep up on top of it now. 

This is another prime example, on top of one I gave elsewhere today, on how giving in to the OCD adds another restriction onto our lives. 

We need to understand the cognitive C in CBT, and work on ERP - it's initially painful, but it then will trump the problem.

Think "I won't believe the OCD falsehoods,  exaggerations or revulsions (whatever is the core belief)  - I now know not to" and gradually work towards not giving  belief to OCD triggers and intrusions. 

Edited by taurean
6 hours ago, taurean said:

Thanks lost, hope you do well today. 

Had an acceptable quote from the removers. 

We have dealt with another legal issue, and I took a load of chairs for resale at the recycle centre. 

Got some shredding to do later and download a form to have some chemicals collected for safe recycling. 

It's really cold here but nice and sunny - so won't need my SAD lightbox today :)

Hey Roy it sounds like it’s been a good prosperous day for you, which is great :yes:

Unfortunately it’s been a bit of a rough day for me :( me and the other half had a big barney this morning, I dyed my daughters hair which really stresses me out because of my ocd and then it turned out a mess, so my daughter was in tears ? Good news is I’ve managed to get her in to the hairdressers tomorrow so hopefully they can put it right again :yes:

So homework wise it’s not been a good day :( but tomorrow is another day :)