Caramoole

Challenge Club-Merged Threads

Thanks Roy, I also cleaned a radiator I had been avoiding for a long time. It was an example of the solution becoming the problem. I decided that it was too “dirty” to clean, so I stopped cleaning it. But then it became truly unclean and a massive job. If i had just cleaned it regularly it would only have needed a brief wipe over but today it took me quite a while. I’ll keep up on top of it now. 

8 minutes ago, Storm said:

Thanks Roy, I also cleaned a radiator I had been avoiding for a long time. It was an example of the solution becoming the problem. I decided that it was too “dirty” to clean, so I stopped cleaning it. But then it became truly unclean and a massive job. If i had just cleaned it regularly it would only have needed a brief wipe over but today it took me quite a while. I’ll keep up on top of it now. 

This is another prime example, on top of one I gave elsewhere today, on how giving in to the OCD adds another restriction onto our lives. 

We need to understand the cognitive C in CBT, and work on ERP - it's initially painful, but it then will trump the problem.

Think "I won't believe the OCD falsehoods,  exaggerations or revulsions (whatever is the core belief)  - I now know not to" and gradually work towards not giving  belief to OCD triggers and intrusions. 

Edited by taurean

6 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Yes go Lost!! I've said it before and I'll say it again - your attitude is a real inspiration! :):)

Thank you gbg, that really means a lot, we can all do this :cheer:

6 hours ago, taurean said:

Thanks lost, hope you do well today. 

Had an acceptable quote from the removers. 

We have dealt with another legal issue, and I took a load of chairs for resale at the recycle centre. 

Got some shredding to do later and download a form to have some chemicals collected for safe recycling. 

It's really cold here but nice and sunny - so won't need my SAD lightbox today :)

Hey Roy it sounds like it’s been a good prosperous day for you, which is great :yes:

Unfortunately it’s been a bit of a rough day for me :( me and the other half had a big barney this morning, I dyed my daughters hair which really stresses me out because of my ocd and then it turned out a mess, so my daughter was in tears 😭 Good news is I’ve managed to get her in to the hairdressers tomorrow so hopefully they can put it right again :yes:

So homework wise it’s not been a good day :( but tomorrow is another day :)

1 hour ago, Storm said:

I managed to bleach the bath and sink today for the first time ever when cleaning the bathroom. 💪

Well done storm, that’s fantastic :WootSign:, you can do this, keep going :cheer:

1 hour ago, Storm said:

Well done storm, you’ve done amazing 😉 be very proud of yourself, what an achievement :cheer:

21 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hey Roy it sounds like it’s been a good prosperous day for you, which is great :yes:

Unfortunately it’s been a bit of a rough day for me :( me and the other half had a big barney this morning, I dyed my daughters hair which really stresses me out because of my ocd and then it turned out a mess, so my daughter was in tears 😭 Good news is I’ve managed to get her in to the hairdressers tomorrow so hopefully they can put it right again :yes:

So homework wise it’s not been a good day :( but tomorrow is another day :)

Well Julie and I don't deal well together on joint ownership things, so we have had some arguments and disagreements along the present pathway - we both think the other comes up with stupid ideas as well as good ones :(

But hey ho we are very well matched and both stubborn and opinionated so it's bound to happen from time to time. 

Golly, the dye thing is a tough one for you both ; what a shame as you were only trying to please her. 

I have accidentally torn the sheet on this double bed. It was already old and I think a toenail must have caught it. 

So I am awaiting the right moment to reveal it to J.:(

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

Well done storm, you’ve done amazing 😉 be very proud of yourself, what an achievement

Thank you Lostie xx

23 minutes ago, taurean said:

How is the kitten doing, Storm? 

She's ok thanks Roy, her eye has cleared up with drops. But the vets think she has a virus of some sort that she would have picked up from her mother and would always have in her system. He recommends they do a swab of her to send off for them to analyse. although theres nothing to swab at the moment. 

Other than that shes doing really well, I think shes happy living here (right now She is catching fish on a phone app and having a great time purring away). The boy on the other hand is a bit more reserved but loves a cuddle when hes 1 on 1. 

I'd like to join this thread. It's really motivational!

one thing I'm proud of is trying to overcome my avoidance of heights, and my avoidance of responsibility in 'risky' situations. I am doing this by going indoor climbing around once a week with my husband. He's a good climber anyway.

By going against my fear I have gained so much self esteem and feelings of pride. By belaying my husband when he is climbing I am taking full responsibility for his safety but in a constructive way, which has shown me I can be responsible and I won't harm him. You see I view myself as a very careless person, without much concentration or focus - which is why I'm scared to drive. I'm scared of hurting people . This is showing me the opposite.

I'm also normalising being high, and showing myself I can control myself and my mind. I won't just hurl myself off, or let go of the rope when I'm belaying.

i have spent so many years 'taking it easy' and not being too confrontationing of my fears in case I get overwhelmed and I'm not sure how much good it's done me. This is the first thing that I've done that is totally confronting and it's been a big success.

2 hours ago, JennieWren said:

one thing I'm proud of is trying to overcome my avoidance of heights, and my avoidance of responsibility in 'risky' situations. I am doing this by going indoor climbing around once a week with my husband. He's a good climber anyway.

By going against my fear I have gained so much self esteem and feelings of pride. By belaying my husband when he is climbing I am taking full responsibility for his safety but in a constructive way, which has shown me I can be responsible and I won't harm him. You see I view myself as a very careless person, without much concentration or focus - which is why I'm scared to drive. I'm scared of hurting people . This is showing me the opposite.

I'm also normalising being high, and showing myself I can control myself and my mind. I won't just hurl myself off, or let go of the rope when I'm belaying.

i have spent so many years 'taking it easy' and not being too confrontationing of my fears in case I get overwhelmed and I'm not sure how much good it's done me. This is the first thing that I've done that is totally confronting and it's been a big success.

This is fantastic! Massive well done, you should be really proud of yourself :):)

2 hours ago, JennieWren said:

:WootSign:JennieWren, that’s fantastic! Be very proud of yourself! 

Keep going you can do this :cheer::cheer:

I’m feeling really proud today :yes: I did something that’s not on my homework list. 

At first I thought no I can’t do this, it’s to much, what if this, what if that etc. But with a bit of shove I did it. 

I got my jacket on and I took my dog a walk around the block for twenty minutes on my own. It may not sound like a big deal but it really is. I didn’t check the switches etc before going out, I don’t like the thought of picking her poop up because of contamination fears, I don’t like going out alone because of my thoughts, I hate the idea I might see another dog whilst out it scares the hell out of me and I havnt had a shower since coming back in or not wiped things down I may have touched, only washed my hands and then made a sandwich and ate it. Still rather anxious 😟 but I know it will subside. Totally amazed in myself, feeling so pleased 😀 

That's brilliant lost :thumbup:

That was really brave to take on all those exposures, really brave :yes:

Now you see the only thing stopping you doing those things is the threat messages from OCD. 

4 minutes ago, lostinme said:

I’m feeling really proud today :yes: I did something that’s not on my homework list. 

At first I thought no I can’t do this, it’s to much, what if this, what if that etc. But with a bit of shove I did it. 

I got my jacket on and I took my dog a walk around the block for twenty minutes on my own. It may not sound like a big deal but it really is. I didn’t check the switches etc before going out, I don’t like the thought of picking her poop up because of contamination fears, I don’t like going out alone because of my thoughts, I hate the idea I might see another dog whilst out it scares the hell out of me and I havnt had a shower since coming back in or not wiped things down I may have touched, only washed my hands and then made a sandwich and ate it. Still rather anxious 😟 but I know it will subside. Totally amazed in myself, feeling so pleased 😀 

You absolute superstar Lost! This is fantastic! You should be so so proud of yourself! :):):)

4 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

You absolute superstar Lost! This is fantastic! You should be so so proud of yourself! :):):)

Thank you gbg :) I’ve been determined all day to do it and all day Ive tried to talk myself out of it, because of the fear I associate with it, but finally at 1.30 I did it. I just took a leap of faith :yes:

22 minutes ago, lostinme said:

What an achievement Lostie xx

2 hours ago, taurean said:

That's brilliant lost :thumbup:

That was really brave to take on all those exposures, really brave :yes:

Now you see the only thing stopping you doing those things is the threat messages from OCD. 

Thank you so much Roy,  I can’t believe I did it, but I did :cheer:  

I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD :yes:

Sorry I didn’t reply to your post earlier,  feeling a little embarrassed 😞 now,  I didn’t see your reply last time I logged in :(

2 hours ago, Storm said:

What an achievement Lostie xx

Thank you storm, feeling really proud of myself :yes: xx

I have had a bad afternoon.  I have allowed myself to really get sidetracked with compulsions.  I started googling news stories about celebrities going through court (why would I do that?!?) and ruminating on how I would cope with prison etc etc.... got myself into a state.  I know I shouldn't do these things so why do I! I listen to that bit of my brain which says "but what if this isn't OCD!". It is so convincing!

So... I'm giving myself a kick up the backside. 

My challenge for the rest of the day is to leave this be. No googling, no ruminating, no trying to find certainty, no asking my partner for reassurance.  I am going to leave it be - I am never going to get the total certainty I crave, ever, ever.  Just like I can''t have certainty about loads of things.  I just have to let it go.

I'm not playing OCD's game anymore.  :angry:

3 hours ago, lostinme said:

Wow. You hit so many fears at once! That's amazing. I think this thread should be sent to every forum user who is struggling to show them what can be done. 

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

Thank you so much Roy,  I can’t believe I did it, but I did :cheer:  

I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD :yes:

Sorry I didn’t reply to your post earlier,  feeling a little embarrassed 😞 now,  I didn’t see your reply last time I logged in :(

That happens to me when there's a lot of forum activity. 

"I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD " Yea that is it - they seem real because they come through normal mental channels - but they are OCD alerts not real ones, geared to that erroneous OCD core belief. 

Edited by taurean