Jump to content
Caramoole

Challenge Club-Merged Threads

Recommended Posts

If we truly believe we can do something, then we can. 

If I am faced with something really challenging - including an exposure exercise - I remind myself of that, and I  might forward focus to the time when that exercise is done and dusted,and how great I will feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I have had a bad afternoon.  I have allowed myself to really get sidetracked with compulsions.  I started googling news stories about celebrities going through court (why would I do that?!?) and ruminating on how I would cope with prison etc etc.... got myself into a state.  I know I shouldn't do these things so why do I! I listen to that bit of my brain which says "but what if this isn't OCD!". It is so convincing!

So... I'm giving myself a kick up the backside. 

My challenge for the rest of the day is to leave this be. No googling, no ruminating, no trying to find certainty, no asking my partner for reassurance.  I am going to leave it be - I am never going to get the total certainty I crave, ever, ever.  Just like I can''t have certainty about loads of things.  I just have to let it go.

I'm not playing OCD's game anymore.  :angry:

Really sorry 😐 to hear you gave into your ocd thoughts and struggled so much this morning, but the good news is you’ve seen it for what it really is and your going to let it go and not give into it for the rest of the day :yes:

This goes to show that a bad day doesn’t necessarily just have to be a bad day :yes:

Youve got this gbg, keep going :cheer:

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

and so you should! :) xx

Thank you gbg, hope today as been a good day for you :yes: xx

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, JennieWren said:

Wow. You hit so many fears at once! That's amazing. I think this thread should be sent to every forum user who is struggling to show them what can be done. 

Thank you JennieWren ! It was hard but I did it anyway, I took that leap of faith :yes: 

Where there’s a will there’s a way :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, taurean said:

That happens to me when there's a lot of forum activity. 

"I just need to work on not acknowledging the threat messages from OCD " Yea that is it - they seem real because they come through normal mental channels - but they are OCD alerts not real ones, geared to that erroneous OCD core belief. 

 

I think this is where I need to place more work at the moment ? 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, taurean said:

If we truly believe we can do something, then we can. 

If I am faced with something really challenging - including an exposure exercise - I remind myself of that, and I  might forward focus to the time when that exercise is done and dusted,and how great I will feel. 

Sometimes the fear and anxiety prior to doing an exposure exercise is actually greater than actually doing it. Our minds concoct so many scenarios and what ifs, that we talk ourselves out of it before we have even tried to do it. That’s where we need to be strong and take that leap of faith and do it any way:yes:

The overwhelming feeling of pride and achievements makes it all worth while, also giving you more determination to keep fighting :)

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, lostinme said:

I think this is where I need to place more work at the moment ? 

I think so lost :yes:

Share this post


Link to post

Have had a good few weeks. Managed a few additional things to help me move forward in tackling ocd.

more cooking (used meat that I’d cooked 2 days ago to make a curry) normally I’d chuck and start again. 

I’ve made my own disinfectant up by diluting neat stuff, which leaves me uncertain that I’ve done it correctly. I normally always use ready made dettol spray and wipes. Still using a fresh cloth every time I wipe down but I’ll try to re use more than once to improve on this.

I also cleaned up some poo that my delightful kittens left for me on the stairs and then I poop scooped out their litter tray.

Used the communal dryer in the gym to dry my costume off and I’ll re use it tomorrow 😬

It’s not gone perfect but they are baby steps in the right direction. It’s been a year since I started therapy. I couldn’t even make a sandwich, how things have changed :) 

How is everyone getting on?

Storm x

Edited by Storm

Share this post


Link to post

That's terrific Storm, you have come a long way. 

I took a trip up to the City of London and back for lunch with friends on Friday. 

Nothing avoided - other than the environs round building sites because of dust on my glasses and hearing aids, which can cause physical damage so best to keep clear. 

Only one thing of an OCD intrusion nature tried to appear - but I did what I have been taught and gently steered my focus elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds like a lovely Friday Roy :)

Thank you for the encouragement !!

Storm x

Share this post


Link to post
On 26/11/2017 at 13:48, Storm said:

Have had a good few weeks. Managed a few additional things to help me move forward in tackling ocd.

more cooking (used meat that I’d cooked 2 days ago to make a curry) normally I’d chuck and start again. 

I’ve made my own disinfectant up by diluting neat stuff, which leaves me uncertain that I’ve done it correctly. I normally always use ready made dettol spray and wipes. Still using a fresh cloth every time I wipe down but I’ll try to re use more than once to improve on this.

I also cleaned up some poo that my delightful kittens left for me on the stairs and then I poop scooped out their litter tray.

Used the communal dryer in the gym to dry my costume off and I’ll re use it tomorrow 😬

It’s not gone perfect but they are baby steps in the right direction. It’s been a year since I started therapy. I couldn’t even make a sandwich, how things have changed :) 

How is everyone getting on?

Storm x

:WootSign::WootSign:Storm that’s fantastic news, your doing amazingly well :yes: Keep going you’ve got this :cheer:xx

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×