Introduce myself

Hi Everyone

I have just joined this forum so I thought I would introduce myself. In August I was diagnosed with OCD although I think I must have had it for a number of years as I can always remember checking doors and windows when leaving the house or work. Always thought this was a security issue, but obviously not – it was OCD. In time this lead me to have problem in pulling away from places in my car I would always think that I had left something behind on the road, so would have to go round several time checking where I had parked. This got worse and worse over a period of time which lead me to drive back often to check after getting home.

Still did not know that this was OCD.

Late last year, I run into money troubles (which are all sorted now) and I lost my wedding ring as well (had to go through the dustbin to find it). This lead to me to another level – I could not put any rubbish into bags or dustbins. I could not even walk past a dustbin – especially an open dustbin. It was not that I wanted to keep anything it was in case I accidentally lost something whilst throwing the rubbish away. This may stem from the fact that I nearly lost my business due to money and losing my wedding ring temporarily in the dustbin and had to go through the rubbish.

I now also have the problem of constantly looking behind be when I walk or leave someone’s premises in case I have left or dropped something behind me.

So as you can see I assume I have a checking obsession for the following reasons:

1- fear of loosing something – by throwing away, dropping or leaving behind

2 – fear of damage or burglary to our house

3 – Over inflated sense of responsibility

At the moment I am only taking 100mg of 5-htp per day and have read numerous books about CBT including Jeffery Schwartz and David Veale and at present I have managed to get myself to put bottles and sealed bags into the dustbin – whereas a month ago I could not even touch the dustbin. Last week I had my first CBT appointment with an NHS therapist.

Anyway that is enough of me.

I look forward to joining this community and hopefully can help in some of the discussions.

What really interests me is the natural way using of overcoming OCD using natural products and CBT with ERP.

Any thanks for reading my introduction.

Guest Justamum

Hi Matrix

Interesting reading you post, and I must say refreshing (no disrespect to anyone), my son was diagnosed with OCD in March this year and we also went down the natural treatment method. He also takes 5 HTP, fish oils, vitamin B complex, drinks camomile tea, has reflexology and is now having CBT. However we have gone down the route of Hypnoanalysis (this is not the same as Hypno therapy) and I believe that knowledge and Hypnoanalysis are coming through for him. He is sooooooooooo different to what he was, he works 7 days a week, has moved out of home and set up his own home and although he is still in the battle, it is very much won.

Justamum

Guest panix2007

Hello and welcome!

I also have fears of leaving things behind . . . I'm constantly checking my pockets . . . good work in challenging your obsessions thus far!

- Chris