Medication and CBT

Hi Everyone

Just wanted everyone’s opinion on the following.

At present I am only taking 100mg per day of 5-HTP (which I’m not sure whether it is actually doing anything as the dosage is rather low)

I have been reading various books and looking at site with regards to ERP.

I have had my first session of CBT with an NHS therapist and she has said that I should carry on with what I have taught myself and basically face up to my fears and stop avoiding and checking. She has not said anything about medication.

On the other hand my GP wants me to take SSRI’s.

I would rather stay off the medication and only use ERP and perhaps any natural products that I have read about like Inositol

Basically my question is (any success stories would be appreciated);

1 – can you overcome OCD purely by ERP and cognitive methods? And has anyone done this successfully

2 – is medication the only way to overcome as some of the books that I have read says that it is due to a chemical imbalance – therefore do you need to cure the imbalance before ERP will work

Keep it together and be positive

Hi Matrix,

I was going to comment that I am surprised that nobody as yet replied to your post, but then again on the other hand I am not because of late there seems to be more and more posts about people looking for alternatives to CBT/ERP.

In short, CBT/ERP can be effective on it's own, without medication I have managed it without any medication at all, but what I would say from my own experience is that even when you are on top of it, keep pushing yourself, constantly force yourself to do exposure exercises, view it like your garden, you must always do a bit of work to stay on top of it. My OCD slowly crept back because I stopped pushing myself daily to do little exposures.

Will CBT/ERP work for you? Well there are lots of factors to take into account but Lawrie made a very valid point in another post earlier today when she said "The problem with CBT, I believe, is often down to the quality of the therapist which can vary greatly. Facing anxiety and working through this can also be a lengthy procedure and I often feel that people receive too few sessions before being discharged.".

I think one of the reasons many people prefer medication or other options is because the exposure part of the treatment is so difficult, and you really have to be in the right frame of mind to tackle it.

In terms of what treatment you are entitled to, if you want CBT/ERP then you can request that and decline medication if you feel that is the better choice for you. Refer your GP to the NICE guidelines should they question this.

Wishing you luck :)

Ashley

Hi Ashley

Thanks for your post and I’m glad that CBT/ERP helped with your OCD.

If you do not mind me asking what was your OCD.

Arte you going to try to overcome it again by using the same methods as before

After reading your comments, I have decided that I will definitely stick with the CBT / ERP and not have the medication. I suppose I can always go to medication at any time – if I need too.

I will continue with the 5HTP and I though of trying Inositol, which seems to crop up a lot on various web sites.

What’s your opinion on this natural product, have you ever tried it

Thanks again for your taking the time to post your comments

matrix

hi matrix

i have have cbt and am on medication and i have found the combination of the two has helped tremendously

i did lots of exposure work and have overcome a big part of my ocd and yes its tough but it so worth it

you have to put in alot of effort and you will feel extreamly anxious and if you can manage to keep going through it

it gets easier . also all that i learned i try to put in to practice as much as possible, yeah i have bad days but dont we all

i think once you learn the techniqes its about sticking with them and keeping at it and i guess eventually you will get better

maybe be even completly or at least to a level which is manageable.

now days i also do lots of exercise and eat a balanced diet and get sleep because most of all lack of sleep makes ocd hard to tackle.

xxx

Hi Nicky

Thanks for your reply

You are quite right about good and bad days - sometimes I am carry out my CBT and then it goes wrong. I then look at where is went wrong modify my therapy a bit and carry on

As you say it will be worth it in the end.

On talking to other members of the forum I am going to try White Chestnut and Crab Apple along with my current 5HTP. I will also talk to my GP with regards to Inositol

Good luck with your recovery and keep me posted when you have time

matrix