Are there any people on here who don't take medication?

Guest Dannie

I don't take any medication for my OCD- i only suffer with intrusive thoughts and no compulsions.

I have a fear of taking medication as i don't want to put any drugs into my body.

I don't really get intrusive thoughts very often, only once a day and some days i don't get any. I'm not that busy at the moment because i'm only working part time. I try to keep myself occupied all the time, but at the moment i'm obsessing about the thought that i could have intrusive images all the time and go crazy. I'm worried it will be about completely negative stuff and things that scare me like ghosts or aliens. Then i get all freaked out.

I've been thinking that i can't trust myself anymore because i have had intrusive thoughts, like i can't trust what i might think next. Then i try and come up with all the worst things i could think about and this gives me anxiety. I think i'm obsessing about having OCD and how bad could it get.

I don't feel as though i'm living my life properly anymore but the stupid thing is i've had this illness for years its just i have managed to not be bothered by it before, but because i had a bad experience of it 2 months ago when i moved away from home i don't trust i can ever have a normal life again. I just want to rewind my life 6 months.

I have never took medication for my OCD, although I was never depressed by my condition which was the main factor for not going down that route and I was able to function to some extent also.

But, on two or three occasions have cracked my OCD without the need for medication, and the only reason I keep slipping back is because I fail to keep up with regular exposure exercises, but in short yes you can beat OCD without medication (depending on circumstances I guess).

Ah Ashley again! How old are you?

My therapist said that medication is for people who can't cope and it doesn't take the thoughts away.

Personally i find i only feel down when i've given a thought too much importance or if i think about OCD for too long. I still do normal activities and go to work. How do i know if i'm depressed?

I've never taken medication, but i'm a very strong willed person, and refuse to not do this on my own. I have been incredibly depressed, and there have been times when my family have wanted me to take the medication, but I have quite an addictive personality, and don't fancy going through the process of coming off them.

I was however lucky enough to get a counsellor who knew CBT, that I could see every week, and have a wonderfully supporting boyfriend, i'm not sure what my stance would be without these things. They can be a good stop-gap between getting therapy, however they can take up to two months to work, and can make it worse during this time, which has always put me off.

It can definately be done without medication, and in my personal (and hopefully one day professional...) opinion, meds should be a last resort or monitored VERY carefully.

Ah Ashley again! How old are you?

My therapist said that medication is for people who can't cope and it doesn't take the thoughts away.

Personally i find i only feel down when i've given a thought too much importance or if i think about OCD for too long. I still do normal activities and go to work. How do i know if i'm depressed?

*cough* 34

Generally if somebody is depressed they will think about death a lot, find that they have a loss of pleasure in all activities, usually withdraw socially, can become quite snappy, but one of the big signs is suicidal thoughts or feelings. Many people with OCD experience co-morbid depression, which is, if I remember correctly, depression caused by the OCD.

Generally if somebody is depressed they will think about death a lot, find that they have a loss of pleasure in all activities, usually withdraw socially, can become quite snappy, but one of the big signs is suicidal thoughts or feelings. Many people with OCD experience co-morbid depression, which is, if I remember correctly, depression caused by the OCD.

I think i get depressed sometimes because i can't accept the fact i have OCD and i'm scared of it. I find going out and getting on with normal life helps alot. I did have suicidal thoughts a few months back when OCD hit me at its worse but i don't want to die.

I mainly have pure-o thoughts, my worst have been paedophile ones, but i've had others. I also find I get quite obsessive about my uni work, my boyfriend and other things.

Dannie: It sounds like you've probably suffered some form of depression, but obviously I can't diagnose you, you'd have to go to your GP for that. It's good to hear that you're not suicidal anymore :)

*cough* 34

:lol:

which is, if I remember correctly, depression caused by the OCD.

I feel I have this. I've recently just done all the questionnaires etc with my psychologist and came up with depression in it, though it wasn't high. I tend to feel that I get 'depressed' quite often as a result of OCD.

Suicidal thoughts seperate from depression, are common with ocd if it's something you fear, it then attacks that, and can then lead to you feeling more depressed and things spiral. I think it helps to know that these are just thoughts, (and that they will eventually stop bugging you.) :)

I've never taken medication, but i'm a very strong willed person, and refuse to not do this on my own. I have been incredibly depressed, and there have been times when my family have wanted me to take the medication, but I have quite an addictive personality, and don't fancy going through the process of coming off them.

I was however lucky enough to get a counsellor who knew CBT, that I could see every week, and have a wonderfully supporting boyfriend, i'm not sure what my stance would be without these things. They can be a good stop-gap between getting therapy, however they can take up to two months to work, and can make it worse during this time, which has always put me off.

It can definately be done without medication, and in my personal (and hopefully one day professional...) opinion, meds should be a last resort or monitored VERY carefully.

I agree here talknerdyrome, I've always thought that I had an addictive personality, but i think its more obsessive-addictive, if that makes sense.

I really obsess about things such as medications, I try to control them and then end up with compulsions becoming like addictions. (or maybe it's because im scared of that, I don't know) My OCD won't let me find out. I'm scared of the effects and also taking too much etc. not being in control.

I like you Dannie, I feel I don't trust myself half of the time, and thats probably half the problem. I Think the thing I don't trust is OCD, though it's so hard to see through it and see you are a good person underneith sometimes.

I too don't take medication and this is a personal choice as a huge part of my ocd is slightly related, so i don't take medication and can't stand things 'contmainating' me this way.

I think you are probably right and you are stressing and obsessing too much about ocd and just having it, making the cycle worse. I think also you say things got bad when you moved away from home, of course is such a stressful thing, its bound to have triggered things for you.

Dannie, might it help to see its probably triggered by something like this. I find it helps to look for an answer for my anxiety. It gives me a reason to make me feel its not my fault and can blame it on something else :lol:

Back on the medication front.. I always know that I have them there if I need them, but I don't think it will be an option for me. I'm glad it works for those that use them though. I will happily fight without, the best I can. :boxing:

I hope this helps,

hsu :) xx

Guest sixecho

I don´t take any medication. I was on medication for five years, now I have been without med´s for seven months. I stopped med´s because I was feeling so unreal and I didn´t have any emotions. Thoughts where always there, med´s didn´t take them away. Now I feel better and I can fight this illness far better then I did before. All people are diffrent, some get help from meds, some don`t. I know, if I get depressed, I have to take them again.

The medication isn't only prescribed if there is accompanying depression. It has been found that anti-depressants also work to help with anxiety conditions

Depression also takes many forms and is experienced at very different levels. Feeling suicidal is not necessarily present with depression.

I have been depressed but I would say it has been as a result of having to battle with OCD, I would also say it was mild depression or low mood and not a devastating clinical depression, always lifting quickly as the OCD bouts were dealt with.

There is nothing weak about taking medication if it suits you but equally, OCD can be dealt with without medication.

Caramoole :)

Guest purrfect

I have taken 2 meds for ocd, one that didn't work and one that worked really well. I had to comeoff the one that worked about 4 months ago because of the onset of bad migranes, and the meds I was taking didn't mix with the migrane meds. So the dr changed the migrane meds, and I'm waiting for the all clear to go back on them. Yes, I had breakthroughs without meds, but the depression was horrendous just after I came off them, and although that level has lowered it is still there, so I do want to go back on them.

Guest marky1982
Hi all ,

Does alcohol count as meds :cheers: , :wine: , :lol: .

:lol:

I did take anti-depressants for a while but that's because I was depressed as I didn't know what the heck was wrong with me at first but I came off them due to the side-effects. So I don't take any medication now, and having CBT was much more helpful at managing the condition anyway. Would I take meds again? It may improve my OCD a bit but taking into account the side-effects, probably not.

Guest Muse_Man

Hi there,

When I came to being diagnosed and having treatment I declined tkaing medication, though at the time it may of helped reduce my severe anxiety symptons. I was to scared of taking meds and the side effects, I worried that it would change my personality and also I would become addicted and lose control of me. Looking back this is a little rash and OCDish, but stil I am apprehensive of taking medication. I found an alternative method of coping with the anxiety while going through CBT and to date this has helped me. I found that changing my diet to foods rich in serotonin, taking regular exercise, doing yoga to help my breathing and relaxation all helped as way to reduce the anxiety. There are other methods such as using light boxes, and other non-medical forms of treatment that are not 100% proven but are out there.

I think there will be situations in the future where I may need medication, but its a brave step for me. Though looking at it from another perspective, if I had a life threatening illness I would not hesitate to take pharmaceutical drugs. For me its all linked into my OCD and would be a fear I have to face.

Stuart :original:

Guest ruby-moon

oh....reading these have got me worried.....I refused meds all through cbt for the same reasons as Stuart but now that has had to end I'm taking citalopram. I'm on my third day and I'm really worried about side-effects. anyone ever taken these??

I took reboxetine (??) for depression ages ago, and though fairly mild it worked very well. But I think counseling was the biggest help, and with the not too severe OCD, I'm trying to not take any kind of medication. Though I'm taking omega 3 oil, as it MAY help (maybe it's a fad!) anyway.

Also I cut out caffeine last year (figured it was a mood-alterer). Went from 6 mugs of tea a day to absolutely nothing (and had terrible withdrawal pain, what a hero :laugh: ) Oddly enough, I won't face tea now, which is probably an OCD issue, though allow a cup or two of coffee from the afternoon onwards.

Alcohol really does cause problems (which is why I wanted to post on this thread). Just a drink or two is enough to severely alter my mood the following day - nobody here should be even touching it :wontlisten: - what a killjoy!