Severe anxiety panick thoughts worse in the morning??

Guest Karley505

Guest Karley505

Hi all i am currently suffering severe relationship ocd. I won't go into detail as I'm trying my hardest to fight this and keep positive.

I have been on meds a week now and this last week ive felt poorly from the meds side effects very sick etc, but now am feeling much better i think the side effects have stopped. however i keep waking up at the same time each night 3.30 am then i toss and turn and the thoughts come and come and i can't seem to get on top of them in my mind as im so sleepy and i can feel my heart beating in my head and chest, very strong and fast its really strange i have has this before in the past a few times so i dont think it's meds but it is very scary sometimes as it feels like im in a big panick then i wake up and have to breathe to calm my heart rate down... then i usually dose off and i wake up at about 6am and sleep on and off till i wake up. In the morning i am terrible, anxiety is very high, im very snappy and i feel like i believe the thoughts like i have a sense of giving up and feel defeated. I wondered if anyone else was severe in the mornings?

I just hope and pray this ends soon as it's torturing my mind and relationship :o(

I'm trying to be strong and i do feel like i am in a much more positive mood today however the thoughts have been ruminating in my head all day and i can feel myself scanning the past for thoughts ive had and then panick when i remmeber them then neutralise them with a positive one (if i can think of any) as my mind seems to bringing up all the negative ones, it's draining...

Any advise ppl?

Hope your all well, take care xxx

Guest leerav

I often find thoughts are worst first thing in the morning, although not usually having anything to do with medication. I also tend to find that, on such occasions, my brain feels unaccountably 'wrong' for several hours and then, after having been awake for two three hours, it seems to go. It might be, I suppose, that if you go to sleep thinking about obsessions, they are more likely to be the first thing that the brain processes when you wake up as well. And, of course, you are often scanning for triggers as soon as you are awake enough to do so. But I have often wondered if it's not something to do with chemical imbalance as well. Logically, I suppose, this may vary in relation to the sleep cycle, so maybe it depends on how many hours sleep you got, and at what point the cycle was 'disturbed'. I've never seen any intelligent analysis of this, however, so it's just guesses.

Guest Roami

Hi Karley,

So sorry you have been experienced side effects of those meds - I think I took my first dose of the Citralopam in the middle of the day and felt very sick and there after took them at night time and had no further problems.

Meds can cause sleep disturbances and increase anxiety for some people - have a look at the leaflet in your meds box which describes some of the side effects you can get. Everyone is different and will experience the drug differently. I found this drug helped to decrease feelings of anxiety - maybe things will settle for you after another week or so - do you have an appt to review your meds with your Dr? If things don't get better for you/the drug is not helpful you might need to consider changing over- maybe give it another week.

I often don't sleep well .... then when awake at night I feel anxious and panicky about things too- doing deep breathing and trying to focus on my breathing, as you are doing can help. When I haven't slept properly I find myself feeling very low, snappy, irritable and anxious in the mornings, as you describe - I think the lack of sleep and anxiety at night don't help.

Are you getting CBT sorted? I dropped my therapy for a while, but am going back. I am not feeling great either right now.

Best Wishes Karely - let us know how you go - hope you are feeling a bit better soon.

Roami xxx

Guest legend

yes it is harder in the morning... its cos your on high alert karley,, the feeling of anticipation,,

maybe it will be gone when i wake up... again anxiety!!

it will pass hun, time... timexx

also you must try to stop the neutralising, this is a compulsion and will make the ocd even hungrier.XX

leggie.xx

Edited by Guest
Guest Karley505

Thankyou all for your replys, yes legend time...thats what keeps worrying me as this obsession is sticking around much longer than some of the others, but i guess that is because it has got such a reaction from me and keeps getting me into such a state.

Yes Roami I may be more snappy because I haven't had as much sleep. It was a bad night again lastnight, its weird because i feel like i need less sleep now, on days off i wake up at 9am now and usually get up around 9.30 before i was on the meds a few weeks ago I could stay in bed till 12 - 1am and then even when i woke up i could sleep again for another few hours, but i think that was a lot to do with the depressed feeling we all feel at times with ocd.

I have therapy today, i'm not looking forward to it to be honest and last time she told me she wouldnt be reffering me for cbt, also she made me feel uneasy about the relationship ocd, i felt like she thoughts it wasn't ocd and didn't understand, but this could be me being paranoid and i was clinging to every word she said for a conclusion that this couldnt possibly be real...

When i saw my doc she said i should be reffered for cbt as im now on meds and shes not a big believer in anti depressants without treatment! so today im going to ask her to refer me, i have seen my therapist many many times now and my ocd seems to be more severe so im not sure this is working for me. Last time my mum ended up loosing her temper with her on the phone saying that she doesn't feel im getting the right treatment and not enough help, but then again it's hard for family to see you in such a state and feel helpless to help you.

Thanks for the replys everyone, ill let you know how therapy goes

(and hopefully I'll have a refferal for cbt :boxing: )

xxx

Guest legend

It is difficult karley.. and it appears as if the therapist is not fully up to date with dealing with

ocd...

I can only suggest that you request your gp to refer you for cbt, soon as possible, and hopefully

you wont have to too long for an appt.

Keep fighting, you can get over this blip, you have done before.xx

leggie.x

Guest Karley505

Been to see therapist and she is reffering me for cbt :o) so hopefully the wait won't be too long as she says there will soon be more cbt therapists around...for us all!

She also says I have other issues which need addressing as these are making my ocd harder, its more my reaction to the thoughts she said i have very low self asteem and seeking perfection which can't be found. So shes doing a self asteem course with me next time I go as she feels it will help the ocd as all of my obsessions recently have been about me being a bad person, the imense feeling of guilt and shame etc...

Also because ive had the ocd since 12 (health anxiety back then) its a lot more tougher to get rid of because it becomes a way of thinking i guess...but ill break it :o)

Hope this helps other ppl who maybe seek perfection or have low self asteem? may be worth addressing these issues as well as the ocd??

xxxxx

Guest Roami

Hi Karley,

It's great you are gonna get to see a CBT therapist....and a course on self esteem sounds fab :original: I think low-esteem is experienced by lots of people with OCD and depression.

I don't know whether you have any already but there are many self-help books and CDs you can buy on self esteem too ....I have found some of these helpful. As you say thinking badly of yourself can become a deeply engrained habit over many years and it can be difficult to change this way of thinking. However I know you will do it!! :original: I am working on this issue as well and I have definitely made some headway.

Roami xxx

Edited by Guest

I was on 20mg of citilopram, after a silly unauthorized week off I am now back on 40mg and its hellish, anxiety in the morning and then again in the afternoon, I hope it levels out soon.

Guest stonelizard

My advice would be to get to bed early like 10 ~ 11pm and get up quite early like 6 ~ 7am, and to get up and do something to take your mind of things if you feel restless in the middle of the night. I think having a good sleeping pattern and getting up early in the mornings helps OCD quite alot.