If a major soap did an ocd angle

Hello

I think it would be good if a major soap like eastenders or coronations street or something did a story with someone with ocd.

May raise awareness of it.

I think there is someone in Holby city or something who has it don't know how big a part of the story it is.

Chris

Hi Bristolchris :original:

That would be a brilliant idea :clapping: , so many people watch soaps these days it would be a great way to raise awareness, and to show people what its really like, then people would be less likely to trivialize ocd.

Red

I think it would need a sufferer to write the storyline. The Doctors storyline is terrible. Every couple of months Jimmy has a stressful time and washes his hands, otherwise its never mentioned.

hi chris,the guys storyline in holby city was quite well portayed at the time,but is only occassionally refered to now.There does need to be more ocd sufferers in soaps.Some of the soaps are a bit behind with the times,corrie is just about to introduce its first lesbian character!

Hello

I think it would be good if a major soap like eastenders or coronations street or something did a story with someone with ocd.

May raise awareness of it.

I think there is someone in Holby city or something who has it don't know how big a part of the story it is.

Chris

holleyoaks coverd it once, but off corce after about 2 weeks of treetment the charecter was fine

In fairness when the actor left the soap it was references that he still had OCD but the treatment was helping if I am remember correctly. If Hollyoaks got it wrong, then it is our fault, we went through every script with them and Stuart even went to the studio and chatted to the actor to help him understand OCD too. I think in total the storyline lasted about 6 weeks, which is quite a long time for a soap.

I think that's an excellent idea. People use the term OCD too often in loose language to almost apologise for their neatness and the like. We all know that it's much more than that and exposure in this sense would get to the masses. Really good idea, something we should perhaps petition the major tv stations to consider.