"Make or break"?

Hi guys,

As the time for me to go back to Uni approaches, I'm feeling gradually more stressed about the new year, about my new responsibilities, the workload, etc etc. Anyway, my OCD's starting to get me into a corner, telling that I can either get rid of it, or I can carry on with it and I just don't know what to do. I'm so used to the tangles in my head, but I do my best to live a day to day life without it bothering me. I wish I could just shake it off, but it's like I'm stuck. I determine to do it, but I can't seem to do it and it's upsetting me.

Maybe if I tell myself to just act normal I'll be alright and the pressure will become less so. Maybe if I just keep doing what I've been doing, I'll be okay.

Guest Charlotte

Sorry if you've already answered all of this...!

Are you having any therapy? Are the Uni aware of your problems?

It is such a difficult decision to make, but I have chosen to defer my year at uni in order to "get better" this year - start CBT, find the right medication, apply CBT etc. I'm not expecting a complete recovery, but I am unable at the moment to do anything.

I'm not suggesting that you defer, but I think that you should get yourself better. There are all sorts of possibilities - seeing your uni about getting extra time etc. and take the time to get your head straight.

If anyone can get through this, you can.

Lottie xxxx

Hey Lottie,

Yes, the Uni is aware of my problems and I have counselling but to be honest, while it's been helpful, it's not as good as psychiatric treatment. I was supposed to see my old pyschiatrist a few months ago, but then as luck would have it he had to cancel due to personal reasons and the appointment's not yet been rescheduled.

I really want to get better and I know I'm better than I was but I could really just do with a break. I want to walk over the OCD and keep going but the fact is, it'll always be a part of me. I just wish it didn't have to be this hard.

Thanks for the feedback and the vote of confidence,

C xxx

Cub,

This has happened to me - both when I was doing my degree and when I did a post-grad diploma. At the time I knew I was anxious and having panic attacks but I didn't know about having OCD. I didn't feel that I had a choice about continuing with both courses - my degree was my second try at studying after I had to leave my first degree following a family crisis, the Post grad diploma was funded by my work and I would have had to repay all my fees etc if I'd dropped out.

I continued and finished both courses, but did have a lot of anxiety with both. I am glad that I did finish both courses as I hate to think that OCD has beaten me - but really if you are going to continue then I would recommend that you get some kind of support. I didn't and that made it so much more difficult.

I don't think that anyone can make the decision about this for you - you will need to decide it for yourself. The way I decide really difficult things like this is working out the pros and cons - and also how much I have invested in it, as opposed to what is left to do. Do you need your qualification to gain entry into the career you want? There are many things to consider and please do consider them before making a 'knee-jerk' reaction to avoiding the anxiety - as that is what the OCD will want. I nearly did this, but am glad I didn't.

Sally