terrified of driving test!

Guest george25

Guest george25

Hi

I've been learning to drive on and off for 8 years now and have failed two tests. Today I have my first lesson in over a year and I'm really nervous, actually terrified is a better way to describe how I feel! I have to take my test before March as my theory runs out(which I've already done 3 times) but I have a massive problems with the actual test as in I barely eat for a least a week before because of nerves and the last one I had been awake for 2 consecutive nights before taking it! Although the second one I only failed on a reverse park and got just 3 minors I still think I'm going to do something completely dangerous whilst driving and especially on my test. I can't explain it to my friends and husband as they have all passed thinking it was no big deal but for soo long learning to drive has taken over my life and made me feel awful. Has anyone else been through this?

Hi

I've been learning to drive on and off for 8 years now and have failed two tests. Today I have my first lesson in over a year and I'm really nervous, actually terrified is a better way to describe how I feel! I have to take my test before March as my theory runs out(which I've already done 3 times) but I have a massive problems with the actual test as in I barely eat for a least a week before because of nerves and the last one I had been awake for 2 consecutive nights before taking it! Although the second one I only failed on a reverse park and got just 3 minors I still think I'm going to do something completely dangerous whilst driving and especially on my test. I can't explain it to my friends and husband as they have all passed thinking it was no big deal but for soo long learning to drive has taken over my life and made me feel awful. Has anyone else been through this?

hi george, is it possible for you to do more driving outside of the lesson, like your husband going out with you ??

Also, it may help, if you were to let the instructor know about your fears too.

legend

Guest george25

Hi

Thanks for replying. I have thought about explaining to my instructor but the thought of doing that brings me out in a cold sweat! I've had OCD since I was 9yrs old and I've gone to great lengths to hide it from people after finding out ther hard way that no one wants to be friends with the 'crazy child' :blushing: Only my husband and family know I have it, all my childhood friends think (for the best part) that I was just an 'unbalanced' child. I do get extra lessons with my dad but my husband refuses to take me out as he's a rubbish passenger! I have spoken to my psychiatrist about it but I don't think she quite gets my fear over it as everyone gets nervous about learning to drive but mine goes to the extreme! I have read some old posts on here about other people having problems with driving but it's so hard before each lesson not to think 'this time I'm sure I'm going to really hurt someone'. I have fought OCD every day to make my career happen and not having a licence will really hold me back and after everything I've been through I don't want that to happen!

what help have you had for your ocd ?

Also, what about trying the four steps, the link is at the top of the page.

Keep perservering, and hopefully, this time it may work out for you

legend