Owning a dog for the first time

Guest hayley73

Guest hayley73

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I am doing something I thought I would never do, owning a dog!! When my contamination fears were at their height I would have never dreamed this day would come. I am getting a little Dacshund puppy this Friday. My main motivation is my 4 year old son. He has autism and is starting to become verbal. I bought a hamster a few weeks back and he really has taken to him. So I am biting the bullet and getting a dog.

Now I need help with cleaning up her poops :blushing: I want to be a responsible dog owner when out and clean up after her, plus she will of course have accidents in the house until she is properly toilet trained. So I need advice on cleaning up the poop and pee both when in and out.

My hands get so dry as it is thanks to all the dishes I do and the need for them to be properly 'clean' so I don't want to go over the top and turn this great opportunity to have a dog into a nightmare for me. Your help guys would be soooooo appreciated.

Thanks in advance. xx

Guest Dubman

Hi Hayley,

I think having a dog will be great exposure therapy for your OCD.Picking up the dog poop is a bit messy but i just use a pooper scooper and a bag so it's not too bad.Puppies are a handful with training.Maybe you could get a rescue dog from the local pound which would be fully trained or have you choosen a puppy already.Either way they give you great pleasure and they are so loyal it's unreal.

I think you will really enjoy owning a dog and good luck with it.

Edited by Dubman
Guest ravens

That is cool. I have a cat and a hedgehog and have a little contamination issues. I don't have a pooper scooper for my litter box because I worry about germs being on that so I have rubber gloves. I pick up the poop and pee (clumpable litter) and then turn the glove inside out and then throw out the glove. That way I don't feel gross but am taking proper care of them. You could try something like that.

ravens

Edited by ravens
Guest PatsyG

:clapping: Cant wait to see pics of your little addition to your family!

I never was a dog person but now that Ive got my little Tashi I cant imagine life without her!

I really think common sense just applies, easy for me to say, i dont have contamination things going on but if you have an accident in the house, mop it and apply a bit of dettol once and that is that really. A carpet cleaner might be a good idea, i want to get one myself now that Ive got the pooch. For picking up poos I just use normal doggy bags, turns them inside out, pick it up and turn it the other way..if you know what i mean, bin it, wash yer hands and youre fine.

I wont lie, they do cause a bit of a mess with their little paws, especially when its nice and muddy outside :rolleyes: but its all soo wroth it for the love they give you in return.

We are very slack when it comes to the pooch, I am a tidy, clean person but we do let her in our bed and stuff :blushing: Gotta strip the bedding more often now than we used to but I just love our huggles so much...

Like Lawrie said in regards to nappies etc its really not that much different to having kids in a lot of ways... ENJOY :thumb up:

Guest Duckfoot

aw hayley that is amazing, i'm sure your little puppy will bring you and your fmily soo much happiness :)

i have 2 cats and i must admit i don't tend to the litter tray, not really due to my contamination issues (much.. lol) but because it falls into my boyfriends list of household duties (it being pretty much the only thing on the list, i do everything else!!) but i have done it before in the past, if he forgets before he goes to work or if he is poorly or something, and i just use a small bag, inside out like a glove like patsy mentioned, throw it in the bin and then wash my hands once and thats really all you need to do :)

as to house training, just a quick clean up of "accidents" with dettol/carpet cleaner really is all you need to do, it's not the nicest thing to have a pet doing it's business in your home but it doesn't take long to house train pups and at least dacshunds have small poops!

Good luck with your new addition, i'm sure you'll cope just fine!

Aw and ravens i am so jealous that you have a hedgehog!!

xx

Guest hayley73

Thank you so much guys. I knew I could count on you. :hug:

I am having a major wobble though tonight. I am so worried I won't be able to deal with the poop and pee without worrying over it. I know millions of people own dogs and have children and it works fine.

I have decided on handling the situation like this, what do you think? If out I am gonna just put the poop bag over my hand pick up the mess then use antibactial hand gel. For the house do the same with the bag then wash hands just once using warm soap and water. Tell me what you think please.

My hands are in such a bad way at the moment so I need to go easy as possible on them. I have to do this. I can't back out on this dog it is too important to my kids and I know in the end this dog will help me hopefully deal with my worries over dog mess and be theraputic for me being able to cuddle her and take her for walks.

I have so many anxieties in my life right now I can't allow this issue to become another one. :doh:

Guest Duckfoot

Hi Hayley

Yep once with warm soapy water is definately ok, the ocd is bound to kick in and tell you to do it again and again but you're strong, you can tell ocd where to go :D

i'm probably not the best person to advise on the antibacterial gel, because like you i would use this if i was out and had to pick it up, but every single person i know who owns dogs who don't have ocd, don't do this lol maybe someone else who doesn't have contamination fears and who has dogs could advise you better, like you say you need to take good care of your hands and if theres one thing garaunteed to make them worse it's antibacterial gel! maybe it would be best if you waited to wash your hands until you got home, or take some cleaning wipes with you, something thats gentler on your hands maybe. Sorry i hope i'm not sounding silly!

I hope this helps a little, you will really enjoy having your puppy especially when you get past these worries :)

Hi Hayley - I remember chatting to you a while back, great news about the impending new addition :)

Coincidentally, I like you have MAJOR contamination issues, and have also bitten the bullet and got myself a little puppy!

I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do but did it anyway, sticking two fingers up to my ocd, and can honestly say it's the best thing I ever did. We've had him nearly 3 months now and I have loved every minute.

It's hard work when they first arrive, but once they settle down (and get the idea of toileting outside!) it's so much fun.

I could ramble on all day, but won't, but in answer to your original question, for me I wipe up any "accidents" in the house with floor wipes and pick up his mess with a poo bag, which as a previous poster said, you turn inside out anyway so you're not actually touching anything...I wash my hands afterwards with ordinary soap and water....I think that's acceptable (no scrubbing neccesary!) my Mum on the other hand, who also has a puppy, doesn't wash her hands at all after cleaning up, which I think is gross, but hey...she's still alive! :p

If you need any advice please get in touch, I'd be happy to help! :hug:

Edited by sufferer
If out I am gonna just put the poop bag over my hand pick up the mess then use antibactial hand gel. For the house do the same with the bag then wash hands just once using warm soap and water. Tell me what you think please.

I don't bother with Doggy Bags...........Nooooooo, I don't mean altogether :lol: Seriously, don't pay for special doggy bags, I buy the supermarket value nappy sacks.

I personally wouldn't use anti-bac gel as you're not coming into contact with poo, just a polythene bag....but if that's what it takes, use it whilst you're new to it and see if with practise, you can see that there is minimal risk.

Enjoy....you'll love owning the new dog, I'm sure

Caramoole :)

Guest hayley73

:hug: Thank you guys

Ok well......She's here :thumb up: A day earlier than planned. We collected her this evening and I held her in a blanket on my lap all the way home which was a journey of about an hour and a quarter. She has already had a wee wee on her puppy pad in her pen and a poop in the garden which I dealt with. :rolleyes: Not feeling too bad at the moment.

I do have a niggle though. She did her wee on her puppy pad but know I am a bit worried has her toys have been on the pad. I can't take her toys away, but what if me or the kids handle them and then the saftey gates or door handles in the house? Oh flippin heck millions of people have dogs and kids and survive. :wontlisten:

Anyways the best bit is that my little boy (4) who has Autism seems to really like her. Yes!! This was my motivation. She is gorgeous when I get the chance I will upload some pics in the gallery. Her name by the way is Slinky. :)

Yay! She's arrived! :clapping: Great name by the way :)

Lawrie is right, pick up the toys, don't wash your hands and most of all don't worry! (Easier said than done I know but I have the same concerns as you and can assure you you've nothing to worry about).

Great to hear your little boy is enjoying her.

Try to relax and enjoy her too, they don't stay puppies for long.

xxx

Guest Poppy77

Hi Hayley

You should be so proud of yourself, I hope one day I will be in a position to get a dog, we had to give ours up when I was at the height of my OCD I didnt know I could get help or didnt know CBT training existed. After 3 months of seeing a therapist I now wish I kept my dog as it definately would have made me overcome so many issues.

good luck

Poppy X

Guest hayley73

Thank you do much guys for your support. It's so appreciated.

I am not gonna lie I am mega struggling right now. Part of me is thinking 'Why did I even consider having a dog?'. I know the answer is 'for my son'. Slinky has a doggy play pen which she is kept in for her own safety when an adult can't watch her. But I have felt so anxious when she is out of this pen today. She loves and kisses the kids, so I worry about germs then. I am watching her like a hawk to make sure she doesn't poop or pee when out aswell. It's making me resent it all at the moment. :crybaby:

What is normal when washing the dog's blankets or soft toys? Do I bung them in the machine along with everything else or wash them seperate? Mum says to wash her toys in a bucket of disenfectant before putting in the machine. I dunno.

I have dreaded hubby cleaning up any poop or pee cause I don't feel he is 'careful' enough hygiene wise. Although I have resisted the urge to go over what he's done. But on the other hand find myself volunteering for the job so I know 'it's done properly'. :rolleyes:

Oh I so hate OCD. I am sick of washing my hands a zillion times a day. I was doing this in all fairness before we had a dog. I can't wait until I have seen to the hamster and the dog last thing at night so I can put an end to my anxieties for another day. :helpsmilie:

Guest peaceseeker

I truly hope things settle down for you. I've had my dog Fizz for 8 years now and she's the best thing that happened to me, apart from my two daughters...

I have had contamination issues over the years but more about food than anything else.I got Fizz when I was having a really bad time and she has been the best therapy ever and is loved by all the family.

When she was a puppy, I was in and out of the garden like a yo-yo...each time she did a wee or a poo outside I gave her a doggie choccie button...it worked a treat and she was trained within a month...she still goes to the cupboard now in the hope of one...now she has choccie bones instead as a treat.

I wash her dog bedding once a fortnight on its own.

Wash her food and water bowl separately, not in bowl but in sink.

Use fragranced nappy sacks, a little more pleasant, for poo, with the hand in and turn inside out method and wash my hands when I get in or use baby wipes which I usually keep in my handbag.

For the widdles...I used spray cleaner and kitchen roll.

I wish you well with these first few weeks and hope you can overcome your anxieties.

Guest hayley73

Thank you Peaceseeker :hug:

Felt so overwhelmed this morning I thought 'why did I have her?'. She is so lush and the kids love her and so do I but I haven't been coping as well as I would have liked too. It's mad you think you are getting over damn OCD then BANG!!

I am reminding myself that millions of kids around the world grow up around puppies/dogs. I worry so much about the kids ending up ill cause of me being careless. I would rather my hands bleed than them come to harm. :crybaby:

Thank you so much for giving me the suggestions regarding the bedding and such.

I better go now my eldest son (17) is trying to burn the kitchen down cooking dinner. :rolleyes:

Guest Anon3490

What is normal when washing the dog's blankets or soft toys? Do I bung them in the machine along with everything else or wash them seperate? Mum says to wash her toys in a bucket of disenfectant before putting in the machine. I dunno.

You might want to wash them separately, simply because who wants dog-hair (even very clean dog hair) on their clothes? Disinfectant is a tad too much.

I don't know when I will be able to have a pet again. Right now I enjoy not having any needy little ******* around to take care of, but sooner or later my girlfriend's might win. Then I will be in your shoes... So do tell how you are coping!

PS: I grew up with pets around, even let them sleep in my bed till some years ago.

Edited by Anon3490
Guest hayley73

Thank you Anon :hug:

Ok I washed the bedding :thumb up: what I did was just put disinfect on some patches off poop :lookaround: stuck them in the machine on their own on 60 degrees. I wasn't sure about putting them in the tumble dryer but did in the end has it was raining outside. I figured that they would be really clean after washing so wouldn't hurt.

I haven't been doing to bad contamination wise, although it hasn't been without some anxiety.

I am getting goldfish next week. I am gonna set the tank up over the weekend. I have now been obessing over this :wallbash: oh well. Onwards and upwards!!

Guest lovingmum

Thank you Anon :hug:

Ok I washed the bedding :thumb up: what I did was just put disinfect on some patches off poop :lookaround: stuck them in the machine on their own on 60 degrees. I wasn't sure about putting them in the tumble dryer but did in the end has it was raining outside. I figured that they would be really clean after washing so wouldn't hurt.

I haven't been doing to bad contamination wise, although it hasn't been without some anxiety.

I am getting goldfish next week. I am gonna set the tank up over the weekend. I have now been obessing over this :wallbash: oh well. Onwards and upwards!!

Hi glad you are starting to enjoy your little puppy. I got a Jack Russell puppy last August and he has been the best thing ever. My son has OCD not me but my dog has helped us both. My son adores him and although he has not been to school for almost a year and rarely goes out of the house he will sometimes come out with me and the dog which is good. He is also company and a friend to us both. I walk him at least 2 times each day and we run with him too. I have lost 3 stone and I am much more sociable - I was suffering from depression before I got him and he has helped that too. I love walking him and chatting to other dog owners. He is adorable and always smiling and happy - it is impossible to be miserable with him around!!! Tarky has made a huge difference and I would not be without him - need to go walk him now!!!

Good luck with the fish - we have several aquariums and my son loves his fish. Very calming!

Give Slinky a hug from us

Guest sammy

Hi Hayley

I have owned dogs for over thirty years and have never had any problems arise from handling and cleaning their poos. My contamination issues are chemical/oils based and I worry about harming them with these substances. I usually use a nappy bag or old food bags to clear any poos and for any accidents in the house, some hot water and washing up liquid or antiseptics diluted clean up well. Do check the disinfectants that you use for pet safety - some are harmful if the pet licks them so always dilute well. As for the condition of your hands, after washing my hands in the usual way with soap, I occasionally apply a little olive oil after and just rinse in warm water just as to leave a light trace of it on my hands. This works wonders and is totally safe.

Anyway, enjoy your new addition to the family and please don't worry.

Take care

Sammy :)

Guest goingmad

Hi,

how nice that you have a puppy! i want one but hubby won't let me :(

Just reading through i understand everything you're saying... We have 3 cats and a fish tank and i was so nervous about it when i first moved in with my partner and although the first couple of weeks drove me mad that aspect of my ocd soon died down... I have similiar hygiene problems with regards to washing my hands (to the point that they crack and bleed)... I just keep antibacterial handwash, a soft towel (not tea towel!) and some johnsons baby moisturising lotion by each sink. Just the word antibacterial makes me feel so much better about washing my hands so i don't have to keep repeating. If you find washing bedding bother's you, don't be afraid to put antibac cleaner in the washing machine drawer for the main wash, then just do a hot wash once the bedding is out so you know the machine is clean and ready for your clothes. When you get a fish tank the antibacterial wash will be your best friend. when it comes to cleaning it and seeing all that fish poo on your hands it's horrible but just take an old towel with you so you can pat them dry between different tasks and avoid keep washing them. Then just use your antibacterial wash up your arms like a surgeon after :)

Guest hayley73

Thank you guys :hug:

I have to be honest today I am really struggling. The dog keeps have accidents. This is causing me so much stress. I have 2 autistic children, a toddler and a teenager. Just what was I thinking taking a dog on aswell? Add OCD into this chaotic mix, and well let's just say I feel on the verge of walking out the door.

I love my kids, my hubby and my pets but right now I feel resentful towards them. I know that is not right and believe me I am beating myself up over it but I am just not coping. Life has lost any enjoyment for me right now. I will be honest thoughts of ending my life come daily. I don't think I could actually do it but I feel so desperate and unhappy. My kids and my hubby deserve so much more than what I am able to give.

Sorry, this post has turned into a rant but I so need to get my thoughts out. :crybaby:

Guest hayley73

I have been feeling soooo proud of myself the way I have been dealing with doggy :clapping:

And then what happens? I start the whole weight obession again(anyone who has had read previous posts will understand) :crybaby:

Guest tiredOfOcd

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I am doing something I thought I would never do, owning a dog!! When my contamination fears were at their height I would have never dreamed this day would come. I am getting a little Dacshund puppy this Friday. My main motivation is my 4 year old son. He has autism and is starting to become verbal. I bought a hamster a few weeks back and he really has taken to him. So I am biting the bullet and getting a dog.

Excellent. Fight your OCD and FIGHT IT HARD!

Dog's are good for relaxing you too.

Now I need help with cleaning up her poops :blushing: I want to be a responsible dog owner when out and clean up after her, plus she will of course have accidents in the house until she is properly toilet trained. So I need advice on cleaning up the poop and pee both when in and out.

Go to a pet store and you'll find long handled devices called "Pooper Scooper"s It is exactly what it sounds like - a device for picking up dog droppings without having to touch them. Take it with you when you walk the dog.

If the dog let's fly in the house, it can pick up the bulk of an accident. Talk to the folks at the pet store about stuff to clean up in the house messes.