OCD-UK Facebook Fan Page

Guest lucylia

Yeah,im exactly the same. Great idea, and i wish i had the confidence to join and to hell with everyone else,but I just can't. Only a few of my close friends know I have ocd. I have alot of friends on face book and im sure they would wonder about me. It's so **** though as it really is such a good idea :(

Lucy xxx

Guest Duckfoot

Lucy and Paranoidocdandrid, i felt this way for a while, i first came accross this page before christmas, but i thought the other day sod it who cares if my friends see? and joined the group/became a fan, i am a fan of lots of different groups, some of which are alot "stranger" than this one, and no one has ever commented!

if you don't feel comfortable doing it, thats ok, you can still view the page to see the updates etc. but if you can, try and become a fan, sod what anyone thinks! :)

I agree - it depends how 'public' you're prepared to be about your OCD.

I've signed up, since I've decided to be more public about my OCD this year, and I want to try and encourage non-sufferers to learn more about the illness.

However, many may not feel ready to do this (at least, not just yet), so this is a very valid point to raise. It took me 15 years to 'go public' so I understand why some might feel some hesitancy.

It is worth noting, however, that by linking with OCD-UK you're not necessarily acknowledging you're a sufferer. I link to Shelter, but I'm not suffering from poor housing or homelessness problems. I just acknowledge the work that they do.

There's no link between my (real) Facebook name and my OCD-UK username which is by far the most important privacy issue for me.

CSM

I'd like to link to OCD-UK Facebook page - but am not sure how to do it :blushing: . Will ask mr whitebeam to help me.

I think any way we can use to encourage people to know about OCD is really good - and Facebook is very current I (I would say hip but that would give away my age!!) However, I do understand it may be difficult to 'come out' - and it's something to do only when we're ready.

Guest lucylia

I wish I had everyone else's courage but sadly I dont. I have had this illness for 21 years now (a loooong time when i write it out like that lol) and I still cant tell certain people. I know alot of people who laugh about mental illnesses,I even knoe people who dont regard OCd as a mental illness (which really ****** me off). I poppep into my friends work the other day,she's actually my partners best riends girlfriend,so not really my friend . . .anyway,her office was so neat and tidy and i commented on this. She was like "Yeah, i have bad ocd for stuff like that lol" but I know she doesn't have ocd,she just likes things neat. Even if its a slight form i know its in no way debilitating for her and it actually made me feel angry with her or using the term ocd so lightly when i know just how awful it can be for some of us.

Lucy xxx

Guest MOJOrising

I wish I had everyone else's courage but sadly I dont. I have had this illness for 21 years now (a loooong time when i write it out like that lol) and I still cant tell certain people. I know alot of people who laugh about mental illnesses,I even knoe people who dont regard OCd as a mental illness (which really ****** me off). I poppep into my friends work the other day,she's actually my partners best riends girlfriend,so not really my friend . . .anyway,her office was so neat and tidy and i commented on this. She was like "Yeah, i have bad ocd for stuff like that lol" but I know she doesn't have ocd,she just likes things neat. Even if its a slight form i know its in no way debilitating for her and it actually made me feel angry with her or using the term ocd so lightly when i know just how awful it can be for some of us.

Lucy xxx

I too have noticed lately a lot of people saying "yeah im ocd about...." to explain little quirks they have about things when they dont really have ocd. It can be a little annoying :wontlisten:

The creation of the page I hope will be a positive thing, for example the sharing of Eva's picture has been warmly appreciated by people affected by OCD on the Facebook page, and that in itself has helped Eva so much.

Of course not everybody will feel comfortable being part of such a group, and I respect and understand that. My suspicion is that if people join the group, you will not get anyone make comment about joining the group, if anything you may get friends PM you and ask you why, and chances are, because they too suffer, perhaps in silence in their case.

And I guess for those not our in the 'open', maybe when you're ready and feel comfortable to do so, joining the group page may be a nice way to start being a little more open, and hey, if a friend does not understand OCD, then this is a great opportunity to explain it to them, and if they mock, well, any friend that mocks my OCD is no friend of mine. Nobody ever has though.

Please don't feel excluded if you are unable to join the group, I think it is viewable to 'non-fans', and all the news added to the page is also added to our main website and sometimes on here too.

I would love to join, but i know alot of people that wont understand and just see it as "ooh i line my items up in the fridge aswell"

and will message me 20 questions. Or there are the nosey people that will easily find me on the forum through facebook and my most private posts and i REALLY dont want my posts to become public knowlege. As there is no restriction to viewing the forum without registration i wont be doing this im affraid.