TV Programme on BBC3 Tuesday 9pm

Guest quicheme

Guest quicheme

I'm a veggie and most of my OCD problems are centred around this. I've seen adverts for this programme on BBC 3 called "Kill it, Cut it, Use it" which is about animal derived ingredients used in things we would not expect. I know that if I watch this show it is 99.9% certain that I will feel horrific and will very likely feel suicidal for a good few days/weeks afterwards and it will probably have an adverse effect on my outlook in the medium-long term. But then part of me feels obliged to watch it because surely turning a blind eye to something you believe to be wrong makes you, at the very least, complicit in doing it? And wouldn't this then conflict strongly with my vegetarianism? At the moment I'm leaning 60-40 towards watching it but then the more I think about it the more indecisive I become. I would be grateful to hear what you would do if you found yourself in a similar situation.

Guest Servalan

You are obviously a decent person with strong ideals. You have taken steps in your personal life choices (becoming a veggie) in order to live in a way that you see to be ethical - and believe me, that's more than most people do!

Do you think that watching this programme is going to have a positive effect on you in any way? Will it make you feel empowered to change what you can in the world, or will it instead just torture you and make you feel punished?

If it's the latter, then I would say steer clear. Though I know we need to be battling our demons, at the same time I don't think going out and looking for triggers is the way forward for us!

You are not turning a blind eye or being complicit. You are doing your best, you clearly have more awareness than many people, and you deserve to be kind to yourself.

Do please try to go easy on yourself :)

Guest quicheme

Thank you for your kind words Servalan. I think there's definately a part of me that wishes I will be empowered but realistically I think it will make me worse. But I think your right, I already have plenty of reasons or incentives to fight for what I believe in, should I wish to do so. I guess this would be looking for one fight too many perhaps, but we are gluttons for punishment aren't we!

Guest quicheme

I watched the programme last night because it was about cows. I already knew about the diffrent uses for cow parts that they talked about in the programme. It didn't so much make me depressed as annoyed. The next programmes are about sheep and pig parts though and I don't know nearly as much about the products from these creatures. The two saddest things about the show was the killing of the animals (which was shown) and the fact that none of the members of the public who witnessed it thought much differently afterwards about the products they bought. Infact they said they will appreciate them more now knowing the amount of work it took by manufacturers and most of them said they had a new found respect for the people behind the processes. Actually, I take back what I said at the start, it was depressing and it did make me loose even more respect for "humanity".