OCD about work

Guest liv96

Guest liv96

Hi.

Has anyone had OCD about going to work?

I've had OCD (Intrusive Thoughts) for 8 years, and I've had a significant amount of absence from work over the past 3 years.

I've been off work for the past 7 weeks and it seemed my high dose of Sertraline (250mg) was a major factor in my problems. Having reduced to 75mg, I've found I'm more relaxed and the OCD has been more manageable.

I was due back into work today and I just couldn't do it. It seemed like a major effort to get out of bed and ready, it felt like there was a big focus on me, and a pressure to be on the road at a certain time and arrive on time. Would I manage a full day? Already feeling stressed, I concluded not.

I felt panicky and tense like I've not been in weeks. I felt like I had a weight on my chest and couldn't breathe easily and this made me sleepy.

It has made me realise that work is a trigger for me. This has made me feel quite down. I don't know how I can beat these feelings.

Guest quicheme

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as you apart from I've stopped worrying about not working and don't much care anymore even though I can't keep up with rent if I don't work. I guess the only thing I can say is that maybe it is good that you are worried/anxious about returing to work in the sense that you have some will to go back. Look at it this way maybe - you were reluctant about not getting out of bed. It's just getting over the triggers that is tricky but there is part of your mind cheering you on :thumb up: . I hope some part of this made sense.

Take care

Keshav

Guest countrybumpkins

ive been off work myself for 4 weeks.im due to go back on the 4th of august,but the thought is really scary,im worried ill not be able to cope.im so desperate to go back but i feel i cant till im normal please help

Guest countrybumpkins

Like things that can set off an OCD episode I think

[/q

how do i get over the fear and stop worrying about other peoples thoughts on me im very quiet and i worry a lot i fel thats not normal thanks

Guest quicheme

I wish I could help you :weep:. I'm the opposite, I don't care enough about what people think about me (maybe you could help me with that?!). I don't know if it's any help, or even if it's true, but if you are quite quiet then maybe it's that old thing of out of sight and out of mind - like maybe theyre not thinking about you as much as your mind thinks. Do people mention how quiet you are often?

I wish I could help you :weep:. I'm the opposite, I don't care enough about what people think about me (maybe you could help me with that?!). I don't know if it's any help, or even if it's true, but if you are quite quiet then maybe it's that old thing of out of sight and out of mind - like maybe theyre not thinking about you as much as your mind thinks. Do people mention how quiet you are often?

there is nothing wrong with being quiet , if your happy being quiet or do u want to change that

Guest countrybumpkins

there is nothing wrong with being quiet , if your happy being quiet or do u want to change that

th.anks feefee,no i dont want to change myself im just worried that tis means im not a normal person,that im not good enough

this is why my ocd started,worrying about my personality.love u and hanks feefee

th.anks feefee,no i dont want to change myself im just worried that tis means im not a normal person,that im not good enough

this is why my ocd started,worrying about my personality.love u and hanks feefee

Hi Countrybumpkins

I too am a quiet person and there is definately nothing wrong with that its just who we are! Sometimes people that are quite gobby and loud caould be a pretence due to low self esteem.... So at least where just being ourselves.

By the way I noticed that your location is Hull I live in Hull too, small world! Maybe have to meet up one day lol x

Jo x

Hi Countrybumpkins

I too am a quiet person and there is definately nothing wrong with that its just who we are! Sometimes people that are quite gobby and loud caould be a pretence due to low self esteem.... So at least where just being ourselves.

By the way I noticed that your location is Hull I live in Hull too, small world! Maybe have to meet up one day lol x

Jo x

I think being quiet is a lovely personailty trait , there good listeners as well. my dad is quite and my mum is really chatty , my mum is always saying she loves the fact dads quite and he is very kind to her.

when u start to ruminate about people not likeing u ben quiet treat it just the same as any other ocd theme ,letting them come up and pass through the mind.

take care xx

Guest liv96

It's been comforting to see that I'm not the only one to have these issues with work. I am a quiet person, and probably do worry a bit what people think of me, but at the end of the day I'm not bothered and know there is nothing wrong with being quiet/shy.

I don't think it is that aspect that bothers me about work, it's more if I can cope and it won't make my condition worse.

My company has me under a Medical Capability Review. I have averaged around 40% absence over the past 3 years. If I can't significantly improve this I am at risk of losing my job. Being off the past 7 weeks certainly hasn't helped my position.

I go to see the works doctor tomorrow...

Being quiet is lovely! I come across as being quite loud and outgoing where as in fact it's all a lie and a cover. I'm so scared of everything and constantly doubt myself.

Problem with being loud is that everyone thinks your fine and to be honest it's exhausting keeping up with what people expect of me. When I want to just keep myself to myself people thinks there is something wrong!

I hate people asking me if I'm ok!

I'm still at work but this is what's best for me, only go back when you feel really ready.

Hope all is well

X

Guest countrybumpkins

i've been outta work for just on a year (ocd, anxiety and depression) and the ocd about trying to get back into work is HUGE

have you lost your job,and what worries you about going back to work,hugs

Guest countrybumpkins

Being quiet is lovely! I come across as being quite loud and outgoing where as in fact it's all a lie and a cover. I'm so scared of everything and constantly doubt myself.

Problem with being loud is that everyone thinks your fine and to be honest it's exhausting keeping up with what people expect of me. When I want to just keep myself to myself people thinks there is something wrong!

I hate people asking me if I'm ok!

I'm still at work but this is what's best for me, only go back when you feel really ready.

Hope all is well

X

how do you know if being in work is best for you,im desperate to be back to normal

I know me and if I was off work my stress levels would just go through the roof. Have real trouble being on my own with my thoughts and think I would find it harder. Don't get me wrong it's a real struggle most days and I've often been on the verge of giving up. OCD effects every part of my life and it cripples me with fear on a very regular basis but Im lucky to be in a working environment that is supportive and I have good people working with me.

I think its different for everyone.

Take care.

Through stupidity, but i have to be grateful in some ways because that was when i got diagnosed. Its just the fear about coping with ocd. How i will be when i get back to work.

As someone asked me not long ago "why is things different now, you managed to get a job before whats changed now?. I mean how do you explain that. its a bit of a :wallbash: moment.

I'm just trying to get the balance right at the minute before anyone (meds team) will let me even think about trying to find a job.

Guest countrybumpkins

Through stupidity, but i have to be grateful in some ways because that was when i got diagnosed. Its just the fear about coping with ocd. How i will be when i get back to work.

As someone asked me not long ago "why is things different now, you managed to get a job before whats changed now?. I mean how do you explain that. its a bit of a :wallbash: moment.

I'm just trying to get the balance right at the minute before anyone (meds team) will let me even think about trying to find a job.

are you scared you wont be able to cope with a job,ive worked the last nearly ten years with ocd,but i think you still worry when youve been off that you wont manage anymore.what job did you lose by being stupid,i think ocd is hard to cope with and i dont think your stupid at all.hugs to you