Do you think i have ocd

Guest alan_c

Guest alan_c

Hi everyone new to this forum i think i am about to go crazy. I got a thing about checking my car all the time to make sure it's locked for exsample i could be out side at 1am in the morning checking my doors are locked rubbing my fingers along the windows to make sure they are shut tight also rubbing my fingers along the top of the door just to make sure that shut probaily has well.

It gets that bad sometimes when i open my bonnet on my car say to check oil etc and then i close the bonnet i then have to drive some where like a empty car park were no one is around and open my bonnet again and then close it and then i am crawing on the floor just to make sure it alined up and shut propbaily. So all the above if i don't check these things i think bad things will happen to my love one or my familly.

I also have a thing about checking light switches just to make sure they are turned off by rubbing my finger over the switch just to make sure it switch of propbaily same with the oven knobs they have all got to be nicey alined up and i've got to make sure everything is off and checked and if i don't check these things bad things will happen. Same with my tv all the scart leads have got to be in the back of tv probaily and all wires have got to be neat and if anyone touches or moves the tv i think it will go on fire. I want this all to stop and be normal has all this is takeing over my life.

Thank you for reading.

Hi Alan,

and welcome to the forum!

Whilst none of us on the forum are qualified to give you a diagnosis, the actions you're undertaking (the constant checking) and the anxiety that goes with it, certainly seems like it could well be OCD.

Have you spoken to a medical professional, for example your doctor, about any of these worries?

Take care

Guest alan_c

Hi Alan,

and welcome to the forum!

Whilst none of us on the forum are qualified to give you a diagnosis, the actions you're undertaking (the constant checking) and the anxiety that goes with it, certainly seems like it could well be OCD.

Have you spoken to a medical professional, for example your doctor, about any of these worries?

Take care

Not yet no has it took me a big step in joining this forum to taik about what going on in my life.

Hi Alan,

well signing up to this forum is a positive step. :yes:

The best advice I can offer is to speak to your doctor and explain the difficulties that you're currently experiencing. He will then be able to take it from there.

Just know that you are not alone. There are lots of friendly people on this forum who can relate to what you're going through and they will also be able to offer their advice.

Look after yourself

Deepblue

Guest alan_c

Hi Alan,

well signing up to this forum is a positive step. :yes:

The best advice I can offer is to speak to your doctor and explain the difficulties that you're currently experiencing. He will then be able to take it from there.

Just know that you are not alone. There are lots of friendly people on this forum who can relate to what you're going through and they will also be able to offer their advice.

Look after yourself

Deepblue

Many thanks for your support and at first i thought i was the only one out there.

Thank you very much.

Guest akkers1

You are so NOT the only one out there!!! Please don't hesitate to see a GP. I know it is embarrasing but it really does help if you

get professional help. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal for an OCD mind. Frustrating I know. Hope you find the forum

helpful. all the best.

Guest Ange12

Hiya

As part of my OCD i do check the car too. I tend to lock it many times and then when i walk away i feel i need to check its locked again. I also constantly check my car is in neutral and make sure the handbrake is on. This is whilst im standing still of course. I panic that the car will roll back into another if i dont do this.

I have to admit its getting worse. This is one part of my many parts of my ocd illness. I can totally relate to you on that. I feel like my neighbours are watching me all the time and thinking im going mad.

I would say the next step is for you to see the doctor. I have made an appt to see mine on thursday after plucking up the courage to do it. The doctor should start you on medication and hopefully that will help.

Your not alone i can promise you that. If you want to talk we are all here. Sometimes it just helps to let it all out and speak to people that are just like yourself

ange12

Guest alan_c

Hiya

As part of my OCD i do check the car too. I tend to lock it many times and then when i walk away i feel i need to check its locked again. I also constantly check my car is in neutral and make sure the handbrake is on. This is whilst im standing still of course. I panic that the car will roll back into another if i dont do this.

I have to admit its getting worse. This is one part of my many parts of my ocd illness. I can totally relate to you on that. I feel like my neighbours are watching me all the time and thinking im going mad.

I would say the next step is for you to see the doctor. I have made an appt to see mine on thursday after plucking up the courage to do it. The doctor should start you on medication and hopefully that will help.

Your not alone i can promise you that. If you want to talk we are all here. Sometimes it just helps to let it all out and speak to people that are just like yourself

ange12

This how i feel when i check my car i feel like neighbours are watching me and laughing at me and if one neighbour comes out say there going to there car and i am in the middle of my checks i stop quick and pretend i am doing something else and when they go in i've got to start the whole process again this is why i go somewere quiet to check my car so no one will see me.

I want to make a appointment with my doctor but i know there here to help but i am to embarrassed to tell them whats going on.

Thank you for your kind message.

Guest alan_c

You are so NOT the only one out there!!! Please don't hesitate to see a GP. I know it is embarrasing but it really does help if you

get professional help. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal for an OCD mind. Frustrating I know. Hope you find the forum

helpful. all the best.

It takes up so much time and it is frustrating.

Guest alan_c

Hiya

ange12

I've just read your message again and i am the same with handbrake it got that bad that i snapped it last friday because i was pulling on it that hard just to make sure it was on same with my window winder handle thats snapped has well because i was pulling on it that hard just to make sure the window was shut tight.

Guest alexandra

Hi :) ,

I also check my car, check its locked that the bonnet is down and that its safe, i also check the plugs several times at night to make sure the cooker isnt on and that nothing is on that could cause a fire, i also have a habit of checking the doors and the windows several times before going out and if i do it less than usual i have horrible thoughts in my head of bad things that could happen. I also have to check and recheck things like messages etc!

Hope you see your GP and gain the advice and support you need.

Guest alan_c

Hi :) ,

I also check my car, check its locked that the bonnet is down and that its safe, i also check the plugs several times at night to make sure the cooker isnt on and that nothing is on that could cause a fire, i also have a habit of checking the doors and the windows several times before going out and if i do it less than usual i have horrible thoughts in my head of bad things that could happen. I also have to check and recheck things like messages etc!

Hope you see your GP and gain the advice and support you need.

This is how i feel i am gonna have to go and see my doctor very soon has this is taken over my life if i see next door front door open i will not go and check my car untill his door is shut so that he don't see me and think i am mad.

Guest Ange12

Hi alan_c

I was out in my car today and i did the same thing again i checked my handbrake and gear stick. Im also paroniod that the doors are not closed too. My little boy is in the car with me and i get so worried that something will happen to him if i dont make sure its safe.

I know how it feels to be embarrassed about it believe me you feel like your going crazy and not in control of yourself. Even though you are embarrassed about it the only way you can get better and start to feel good is to go to the doctor. You will feel silly when you tell the doctor everything but its for the best. As you see your doctor more you will become to feel at ease about talking about it. I did last time i saw the doctor. Its been a few years gap since i last saw them so im nervous too.

I had my OCD managable at one point but since having a baby 2 years ago its just spiralled out of control again. So im going to be feeling just as nervous as you.

Good Luck i hope you pluck up the courage to see the doctor. Let me know how it goes if you do.

ange