So glad the form is back - Pure o questions please help me

Guest Zee

Dear Friends

Sunday night i had an awful OCD attack. I thought i was getting better but i had an obsessive thought and before i knew it i was in full blown anxiety.

1)Is it possible to have more than one theme going on at the same time? I seemed to have a few obsessions at once?

2)Why does OCD make you doubt things even though there is evidence that your obsession is irrational?

3)OCD seems to play on my worst fears and the thoughts i get are what i find most disgusting or wrong - why is that?

4)I am practising the four steps (only for a couple of weeks) and they were going well until this happened, when OCD was so intense i couldnt apply the four steps - the anxiety was too strong. I guess mastering the four steps takes longer than 2 weeks to work to this degree?

5)Can OCD make you doubt you love people close to you?

Sorry for all the questions but my head is spinning.

Thanks

Zee

Edited by Zee
Guest sofia

I'm really sorry you're feeling worse again :( But yes, you can have multiple OCD themes at the same time and yes OCD can make you doubt almost everything unfortunately.

Guest mondot

1) 100% yes. It is possible to have more than one theme going at a time

2) OCD is the doubters disease. We doubt everything even if we know it's untrue. This happens to everyone. How many times do you hear people say, "I know my thoughts of harming my kids are irrational, but what if I'm the one exception and I'm really going to harm them!" Everyone thinks that they're the exception, the bad person who's thoughts are real. There are 2 kinds of sufferers. Those who know their fears are irrational, yet can't help fearing it, and those who think their fears are really real. I think it comes down to understanding. Once you get to that point where you truly believe your fears are not apart of you, but your ocd, you will no longer hold any importance to them.

3) Just that. Because they're your worst fears. It's like ocd finds our weaknesses and plays on them.

4) OF course. It's a process. 2 weeks would be just the beginning of understanding the 4 steps. And I think they're best applied when your anxiety has subsided a bit, or else it's almost impossible to be in a calm state to actually apply the steps.

5) YES. It can make you doubt everything. Mines made me doubt if I love my family because of harm thoughts. But i Know this of course, is untrue. It's just a feeling and my ocd playing up.

Don't worry Zee. We can't expect it will alway be easy. As you're getting better it will go back and forth like this. Don't give the setbacks power! Don't wonder why you feel this way again. xx

Guest Zee

Thank you very much Sofia and Mondot :original: . I am feeling better than yesterday. OCD is hell. If you dont mind asking another question please can you answer this.

Can OCD give you terrible thoughts like "you hate your family and maybe you will kill them in the future".

I am so ashamed even writing that as it makes me feel sick but this is the kind of stuff my mind has come up with the last couple of days, Im so worried in case i go insane and ask myself am i capable of this. I know deep down im not but i have this constant feeling of dread like something terrible has happened or is going to happen.

Thanks

Zee

x

Guest mondot

Again, yes. Don't feel ashamed. I've honestly had worse thoughts. About 2 months ago they were really bad, and I remember even if I could convince myself I wasn't going to kill my family in that moment, I kept picturing the future, when I have a husband and kids and kept thinking I'll probably kill them...It was terrible. I would think you're a good person, and the following thought would be "no, you're not". OCD makes us believe we are these horrible killers...it's not true at all and I think plenty of people on this forum could also say they've had the exact thoughts Zee, xx.

Guest Zee

Thank you Mondot you're a star - it is a big help to see you are not the only one with this nightmare. Of course i dont wish it on anybody but just knowing im not some kind of evil monster waiting to happen is a huge relief. :whistling:

Guest mondot

Thank you. Yes we are not alone, and I think that is what gets me through this the most! A sense of understanding between us all, because we're all suffering through the same thing unfortunately. Stay strong!