mensturation and worsening of symptoms

Guest Leighbee

Guest Leighbee

Hi

I have been experiancing a relapse of my symptoms for 2 months now and i have good days and bad days. However the last 2 days my thoughts patterns have gone mad and my mind just wont shut up. I am due my period any day do you think the worsening of the ocd could have something to do with this?

Thanks

Leigh

Hi leigh i have contamination ocd and whenever my period was due my worries used to be a lot worse not at the moment as i`m pregnant but usually at that time of the month i always found my ocd was worse. What healp are you recieving for your ocd xx

Guest Leighbee

I have been on Prozac since i was diagnosed in 1997 but have never really recieved any proper therapy but i have kinda never needed to until this relapse. It is by far the wosrt i have ever experianced, i used to be grateful that my symptoms were mild in comparison to other sufferers. I am due to have my first CBT sessionon the 14th of May so not long! xx

Thanks for your reply hope you are well x

Leigh

Guest sofia

It gets worse for me too that time of the month, I talked to my therapist about it and she said it's because of hormones and stuff and you're usually more vurnable at that time in general.

Guest sarah1984

Hi Leigh,

Yes, my OCD's always far worse in the build up to my period and I normally feel a big sense of relief once it starts. I found it helped to keep a record of my monthly cycle - if it's day 26- 28, I know it's the PMS making my OCD worse and it'll ease up as soon as I start. It's well known that PMS can aggravate mental health problems. I went to my doctor about my PMS last year and he put me on an oral contraceptive called Yasmin which is specifically recommended for PMS. It's been a great help with my mood swings and regulating my cycle - I used to have 36 day cycles sometimes with the PMS kicking in 10 days before the start of the period. My periods are also much lighter and I'm saving money on tampons/towels - another plus! Might be worthwhile speaking to your GP about your PMS?

Good luck for your first CBT session!

Sarah