Is yoga good for OCD

Guest Zonegirl

Guest Zonegirl

Hi just wondered if anyone has found yoga helpful with OCD as I have read it is quite good but wanted a personal opinion thanks. Xxxx

Hi Beckyn :original:

Yoga is a great for helping you feel more relaxed and less stressed which in turns can calm the anxiety down. I do practise it myself and think it is well worth getting into. My kids do it as well.

Check this link http://www.wailana.com/ I have a few of her dvd's they are so nice, she seems a very soft gentle person and has such a soothing voice. The yoga is all done in amazing locations so its not one of those boring yoga studio type things.

Zee

Edited by Zee
Guest PaulM

Good timing. I just posted in another thread about yoga since someone else mentioned it.

I've been thinking about it for months but have been too depressed to get out and try it, since it was something I had hoped to do with my girlfriend at the time. Now that's all changed, the OCD is different, and going to yoga might be therapeutic for me on many levels.

Guest Zonegirl

Thanks zee will have a look and buy one and give it a try!! Out of interest how often do you do youga week?

Hi Paulim I am the same can't be bothered to do anything but think im really going to try xxx

Guest mondot

Omg I love Yoga and I think it is great for OCD. One horrible day my sister dragged me to a class and I was amazed after the hour passed that I hadn't thought about my OCD once. It was like I experienced an hour of blissful freedom lol. It was great. Are there any local places you can go to? I prefer doing it in a class setting w/ and instructor rather than at home...but it's a personal decision!

Mondot

xx

Hey Mondot :D

Great to hear from you!

Yeah yoga in a class is great and dvd is really cool as when you need to "chill" in the house you can and its free.

Zee x

Guest mondot

True, Zee. Personally I feel I get distracted and stuff in my home and don't take it as seriously and I usually do the poses wrong lmfao.

And thanks :) I needed a break from the forums. It was getting me a little down :(

Mondot

xx

True, Zee. Personally I feel I get distracted and stuff in my home and don't take it as seriously and I usually do the poses wrong lmfao.

And thanks :) I needed a break from the forums. It was getting me a little down :(

Mondot

xx

LOL at the wrong poses - yeah you can do whatever you want and know instructor to tell you off .

I had to have a break from the forum last week - can totaly relate. Anyway glad your back.

Zee x

Hey Paul and Beck :original:

Let us know how the yoga goes when you get started. I hate exercise but yoga is different to the gym etc in terms of how it makes you feel.

Guest sarah1984

I've just completed a four week yoga course run by my local college and I really enjoyed it. I found it impossible to focus on my intrusive thoughts because I was so busy following the teacher's instructions. I've learned some simple breathing exercises and progressive muscle relaxation which are most useful when OCD's making you feel really anxious.

I think generally anything that helps someone relax, be it mediation, yoga, physical exercise, whilst not treating OCD, can be good for our general mental well-being, which in turn can only be beneficial for our OCD. Some people I know have used some of the aforementioned instead of medication, as they felt it offered the same results, but in a more natural way.

I think perhaps the only caveat I would add is that using such relaxation techniques most be done so as part of an overall treatment package where we are using the relaxation, not to avoid intrusive thoughts, but as a tool to refocus away from the anxiety after exposure to the intrusive thoughts. If done that way, then any relaxation exercise is incredibly positive.

It is still helpful however it used, but to get the full benefit I would recommend using it in a way that is refocus after the exposure.

:)

Guest Zonegirl

Thanks for all your replies I'm guessing if I understand correctly its not the yoga itself that helps its doing something that keeps your mind busy?????

Guest PaulM

Being I have a fear of touching the floor because of dog feces, I guess yoga will be exposure and refocus. :(

I'm also hoping for some benefits in a non-OCD related way. I'm in a pretty dark hole right now and could use anything to get any optimism on life.

• 11 months later...
Guest Yoga Dharma

Yoga is the most amazing system and it will help resolve internal anxiety. Using breathing techniques and physical exercises called asanas which relieve tension in the soft tissue and re oxygenate the blood supply resulting in a positive outcome. Mood is enhanced and anxiety is reduced and with regular practise the positive affects will increase. For more information go to Yoga Dharma

• 3 months later...
Guest timsongibler

Yoga is a an art that works both on your soul and body. For OCD I think yoga is definitely a greath therapy and will definitely help you recover from the problmes in a more effective way. Morover, a regular yoga class keeps you fit, healthy and stress free.

i prefer to take a class to doing the dvd due to the social aspect of it which i think helps with ocd and depression and in addition theres also some variety, doing the same dvd over and over can get somewhat repetetive and I have found can be iscolating

the biggest problem is finding time to do it

apparently it produces the same hormone / neurotransmitter as diezepam which is what induces the feeling of calm but of course in a natural way