Struggling to get out of bed.

Guest Jem86

Guest Jem86

Hi everyone,

Ive had OCD for quite a number of years now and ive never really spoken to others who are going through a similar experience, I should have done it years ago!

I was wondering if anyone else struggles to the point where they cant get out of bed..or if they do its v v late in the day? I find that when Im in a paid job I can just about keep momentum and get up, but on days off etc it can be a struggle to push myself. At the moment im at University so my momentum isnt very good.

I find it really embarrassing as others assume Im lazy. I feel so upset when the end of the day nears and ive wasted my day asleep or watching dvds. But it happens all the time, and has happened since I was 18, im now 26.

I do enjoy realaxing and resting in bed but I cant seem to get past that and get on with my day. I suppose feeling anxious around people and places holds me back.

This is the first time Ive spoken openly about this & I would be grateful for any help/advice from anyone who has been through this or who is goimg through a similar problem.

Thanks, Jem :original:

Guest sarah1984

Hi Jem and welcome to the forum,

I haven't experienced this problem myself but I wondered whether your lack of motivation and your low energy levels could be down to the depression that so often accompanies OCD? I also wondered whether it could be the case that your OCD rituals take up so much of your time and energy that you find it easier to stay in bed so you don't have to engage in your rituals? Maybe you see your bed as a 'safe place' in which you can hide away and avoid situations that might cause anxiety? What sort of treatment have you had for your OCD? Is the university aware of your difficulties? If not, I would strongly recommend speaking to your supervisor or the university disability services to find out what sources of support are available. Don't suffer in silence.

Take Care,

Sarah

Guest Jem86

Hiya, thanks for the reply :-)

You are right, staying in bed is like hiding from the world and my anxities. I went out on my bike today after hiding in the house for days. It was hard as I had left it so long but I felt so much better for doing it.

My University haven't been great and Im having to make a complaint in regards to how Ive been treated whilst on a placement. I was told my the university disability advisor that people with mental health problems really struggle at university and she tried to sway me into thinking about dropping out. She also said that I was a burden on my fellow students for having mental health problems (I was pretty horrified with her comments so Ive had no contact with her since! but awful considering she's the university disability advisor). Ive lost hope in Uni so im hoping CBT outside of uni will help me massively.

Hope alls well, Thanks again, Jemma

Guest neverend

Hey Jemma. My name is Jamie. Yep, i relate totally to what you say. I have False memory OCD, BDD. Im a musician and OCD always seems to torture me when i either need to do my job or want to enjoy myself. I don't ever remember a time when it hasn't done that. At those times my bed is the only place i get comfort from. My bed actually comforts me. I feel protected. Because when OCD comes looking for my total attention i instantly lose every ounce of energy. I have to get away from people at that moment. I need to be alone with my thoughts to see if i can find an answer. Needless to say i never get that answer. The depression ruminating brings makes it impossble to get up. The BAD downside of this though is that when your idle OCD has a field day. Try your hardest to keep your mind busy. Especially doing something you find really engrossing. Try not to stay inside for too long. When i do that everything seems strange. Even going to the shop feels odd. Take care Jamie.

Guest sarah1984

Hi Jemma,

Well done for getting out on that bike ride! I'm horrified by the disability advisor's attitude - I can't see that she's doing her job at all because the whole point of a disability advisor is to be positive about disability (either mental or physical) and to reduce stigma. Disability advisors are supposed to encourage and support students to make the most out of their time at uni not to encourage them to think about dropping out! I hope you're also thinking about complaining about her because her attitude's not on.

Sarah

Guest Jem86

Hiya,

Im sorry for my late replies, it takes me a while to do things!

Hi Jamie,

I'm so envious that you're a muscian, i'd love to be able to play an instrument. Does it help you to get out some of the frustration we go through?

I've never heard of false memory OCD, it actually sounds like something I may have but Im not sure what it is exactly. How does it affect you?

I can empathise with you when you say that ocd is problematic when you're in a job or just want to enjoy yourself. I've always wondered why there isnt more support in the work place. I know things are gradually getting better and people are becoming more aware, but its still not brill really. I think one thing that really helps is having some good friends who are there for you and will ride through it with you, just being there. Theres nothing worse than someone criticising you or ridiculing you when you're not so good.

I know what you mean when you say that you lie in bed to find the answers. I do that also, I lie there waiting for a good thought or a positive feeling that will help me realise that the outside world isnt all that bad. I feel that also if I stay in bed and hibernate for too long, everything starts to feel a bit odd and the panic reveals its ugly self! We have to keep fighting and cherish the good days.

What sort of help are you getting? or what do you do to try control the ocd?

I had BDD when I was 18 so I know how hard that is also. I think what helped me the most was talking to people about it and CBT really helps too :-)

Jemma

Hi Sarah,

I was very annoyed yes and spoke to the University about what she'd said to me so they are aware. Hopefully one day all the discrimination will be eradicated!

Jemma

Hello Jemma

I completely get where you're coming from, there. I spent a lot of days feeling exhausted over the last year, finding it difficult to get out of bed, but never having enough sleep and eventually we found out that I was suffering mild depression alongside the OCD. Obviously, I'm no expert, but it sounds like you have something similar. Have you spoken to your doctor?

Guest neverend

Hey Jemma. Thanks for your lovely words. To answer your question , Ya i have had BDD and OCD since i was a young teenager. My teenage years are NOT a time i ever want back. I didnt fit the mould in any respect. I still dont really. loI. I had to deal with being a gay teenager in 1990s Ireland. Hell on earth that was. My OCD i think stemmed from my family situation. One of my brothers sadly died in a bike accident in the countryside when he was 16. Our family started to crumble after that. My Dad got obessed with religion and then my other brother followed. My sister bacame an alcoholic. I was the youngest. We've had lousy luck as a family. My mum was the only stable bit of glue in the family. My BDD started i think because after my brother died i was constantly mistaken for him as we looked so alike when i was a kid. I also got bullied due to my sexuality so a mixture of identity crisis and pure self hate followed. BDD had me in its grip for all of my 20s. I wanted to look like anything but myself. Self harm and all that followed. Mirrors are my main triggers. I would love to know what i really look like as i see 100 different reflections of myself. And photos are even more confusng. But i just live with it now. I am so sorry to hear you had to deal with BDD yourself. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I sing and play in a rock soul band. I owe music my life. It has kept me alive. I love long distance running too. So thats helps my head alot. But Music is my first love. At the moment im dealing with the worst form of OCD iv ever had. POCD and False Memory. I hope it is a false memory because my life depends on it. Im glad you agreed with me on not staying in bed when OCD comes knocking. And not going outside. Bad idea! Very bad. It will have a field day. Iv never had CBT. But it has helped you ya?