Helping overcome social anxiety/ocd

Guest Jem86

Guest Jem86

Hi everyone,

Im very socially shy and I have a lot of ocd intrusive thoughts- I tend to try and avoid any social events/meeting new people etc. Even big family do's can be hard.

Today I was asked by my mum to help her bucket collect in the doorways of two very busy supermarkets- I was incredibly anxious and thought about saying no but had to keep reminding myself it was for charity, and it would be ok.

I told my mum that I would want to stand with her as I would find it v hard alone- she agreed, but then suggested I try it alone for half an hour until another volunteer arrived- I thought, OH GOD! I did it with a lot of anxiety- but I noticed that not everyone was looking at me like Im odd or bizarre, and no one was pulling their children away from me as if I was a danger- so it really helped me to start seeing things differently.

After half an hour I went and stood with my mum and began to feel that I could laugh and smile more, and feel more at ease giving people eye contact. I was basically doing what is considered by worst nightmare! but I got through it! :-) and people are generally very nice and friendly- not as scary as I initially thought. Im going again tomorrow to help out :-)

My advice to anyone who feels the same as I do is- Do it! The anxiety passes. There are some really nice people out there and it will make you feel so much better.

Kind Regards,

Jemma

I was basically doing what is considered by worst nightmare! but I got through it! :-) and people are generally very nice and friendly- not as scary as I initially thought. Im going again tomorrow to help out :-)

My advice to anyone who feels the same as I do is- Do it! The anxiety passes. There are some really nice people out there and it will make you feel so much better

Excellent advice!!! - although we know in theory that facing your fears is the way to go, it's sometimes easier said than done. Because of that it's really inspiring to hear about someome doing it and getting so much out of the experience! I was grinning like a loon reading your message! :D

Guest sarah1984

Hi Jemma,

Big well done to you - that's a real achievement! I did several collections earlier this year for the Marie Curie Great Daffodil Appeal and I was feeling quite apprehensive because I didn't want my anxiety to strike while collecting. I'm glad to say it went very well and I raised over £300 in total. You're right - most people are very friendly and it's a really worthwhile thing to do.

Good luck for your collection tomorrow and I hope you raise lots of money!

Sarah