Anyone taking Sertraline.

Guest tln40

Guest alexhenry

No benefits at all for me, unfortunately. This medication had the worst side effects on me ever, the rare ones. Not going to say what but I hear it is more effective for a lot of people than Prozac!

Edited by alexhenry
Guest Londoner86

im currently on Sertraline 100mg

first 7 and a half weeks 50mg and the last week and a half 100mg, its thrown me all over the place!

the first 2 weeks on Sertraline were the worst 2 weeks of my life so be prepared for some increased anxiety amoungst other side effects in the early stages.

im still trying to determine if its the right medication for me but sticking with it for the moment.

good luck!!

Edited by Londoner86
Guest FobicFairy

We have been here before tin, there is no one size fits all, you just have to go through the process of finding what suits you, and there is no way whatsover of telling what will work until you try it. Don't get your hopes up thinking that if the meds have helped me or someone else with OCD that they will work the same for you.

I am sorry that you havent found anything that helps yet, its a process of elimination, you can't rush it as you need to give each medication a chance to work before moving onto the next. For me it was a 10 year journey to get something that helps, yes I wish I could have found something sooner, but it's just the way it goes.

Each time you ask the question "has anyone had benfits of taking X medication?" you will get positive and negative answers. You need to trust the professionals to work through the groups of meds in a methodical way, there is no short cut.

Sorry to be blunt, but I think you need to tell yourself you might not find the right med overnight. Perhaps you will be lucky, who knows, but chopping and changing because of that others say isn't the answer.

FF x

Guest FobicFairy

Tin, this is in response to your private message asking me to give you a break.

Firstly, I would like to say that when I said we had 'been here before', it wasn't meant exclusively to you. There have been at least 2 occasionspossibly more of other people asking about what meds work best for OCD and I have given them the same rresponsethat I gave to you.

No you don'tt need to justify wanting answers, but I don't think you realise that there are no firm answers as to which meds work best. If there was then we would all be taking the same ones, or the same 3 or 4. The very fact that there are so many of us on the forum all on different meds speaks for itself. It is believed that SSRI's are a good group of meds to treat OCD, but a lot of us here take tricyclics including me which blows that theory out of the water!

You are not the only person who asks this question, but each time someone does, the answer is the same. And even if a particular drug worked for 90% of us here, there is still no guarantee it would work for you. I know you've been on the same meds for 3 years so want to change for the better, and I don't blame you, 3 years on a drug that isn't working is a terrible waste of your time.

I can't remember if you said your GP was dealing with your meds or a psychiatrist, if I was you I would opt for the psychiatrist as they are the best people to advise what meds to try. Prozac is an SSRI which is commonly used to treat OCD and depression, so is Sertraline. I think often doctors/psychiatrists want to exhaust the SSRI meds before they move onto other more old fashioned meds and ones which sometimes cause more side effects.

I used to take Seroxat which had a terrible reputation for causing people to commit suicide, and there were a few Panorama programmes about it, but it was a life saver for me. There were families of people who had lost someone to suicide trying to get the drug banned, but there were thousands of us taking the drug that had no suicidal thoughts at all.

I am sorry if I come across as being mean to you, that isn't my intention at all. But I don't see any point in telling you how well my meds work for me. Sometimes I think it's best to be honest about the facts. And the fact is, you have to go through the trial and error process. And I say this to everyone asking about meds, not just you. I really do hope you find something that works sooner rather than later, OCD because I know all too well that OCD is a horrible and cruel disease. It might put your mind at ease if you do look back at other posts about meds, not only do I say the same thing as I am to you, but other people say the same thing as well.

FF

P.S. Sorry if I am repeating myself, I should have been in bed ages ago but felt I needed to respond to your message before I went to sleep, otherwise it would have kept me awake with worrying. Sorry about spelling mistakes too. Night x

Edited by FobicFairy

Totally agree with mama hen - fobicfairy. It is different for us all.

And Mama - you are no way mean, and hopefully no more PM's will be sent to you implying that you are xx

I don`t necessarily think that tln is mean either, but instead, possibly a really anxious person in general, & sure that privately she meant no malice. (Just different perceptions of post/replies).

xx

Edited by felix4

FF, i never would think or say you are mean, and my post in no way 100% indicated that, you were a bit blunt which made me feal far worce at that time, but i do fully appreciate what you have said, and i know that you are just trying to help and your post was very helpfull, so i am sorry aswell,but one last thing, i would appreciate it very much if could verify i did not send you a p/m saying you were mean,thanks ff xx.

Guest Steve1983

I can see who some people may find what Fobic wrote bluntish, but she admitted in all fareness when she wrote the post that she was being a bit blunt. The only problem I find with being blunt is that people sometimes feel like they are being attacked. In reality Fobic made a very good post and she gave you exactly the best information that you can receive. If you wan't to gain new knowledge to help you fight OCD on these forums, then it is people like Fobic who you should listen to. Her advice is usually spot on.

Yoo as both sed sorrie so I dink evethink is oK now.

When it come to Pm's, Potty Potter sent me a P.M saying that I look like Winston Churchill, which is just downright offensive.

StEvE XX

Edited by Steve1983
Guest FobicFairy

No Tin you didnt say the actual word 'mean' but it was clear you are not happy with me and you asked me to give you a break which I felt implied I was in the wrong. I said I was sorry if I came across as 'mean'. I didn't say that you were 'mean' either, just to clairfy.

Tin, you mentioned that I commented on your post, but not on the the groinal response thread which had over 166 replies. I don't read a lot of the posts, especially ones about pure o or POCD etc. If no one replies to posts like that I will sometimes just say hi and apologise for not being able to offer advice as I don't have that type of OCD. I reply to those posts that I understand, contamination issues mainly, questions about meds, or therapy.

I think maybe I should have taken the time to explain things like eliminating SSRIs before moving onto other meds etc earlier on in the thread as that would of been useful to you.

Sorry I am blunt, I don't feel like I am that way in real life, With no tone of voice and body language it's hard to know for sure how things are intended when using written communication.

Steve, PP probably meant in his earlier days when he was young and handsome! :D

Are we all ok now?

FF x