Medicine and CBT, help

Guest sofia

So I started taking sertraline in march, then I moved back to my hometown keeping contact with my therapist and my doctor and increasing the dose to 200 mg in july. I've had no results with the medicine, it doesn't work for me at all and it's getting really expensive for me to pay for it. Now I haven't heard from my doctor in several months and I have no prescriptions left, I've tried to contact my therapist but she doesn't answer my calls, she did reply to an email though telling me she has forwarded the issue to my doctor - this was about a week ago and I still haven't heard from her. The thing is I need to get referred to the psychiatric clinic here in my hometown to continue my CBT treatment and everything just feels so damn complicated right now. I really don't know what to do, I can't stop taking my medicine by myself, and I really need to talk to someone since my OCD is getting worse everyday.

Has anyone had a similair experience?

Guest sarah1984

Hello Sofia,

It sounds as if you have been on sertraline for long enough to know that it is not working for you. I think you need to chase your doctor up urgently. The reason I say this is because you don't want to run out of tablets. Stopping medication cold turkey means there is a strong likelihood of mental and physical withdrawal symptoms, including intense feelings of anxiety. You need to come off the sertraline gradually under medical supervision to reduce the likelihood of this happening, before considering another medication. Am I right in thinking you don't live in the UK? Obviously this complicates things because I can't give you specific advice on the mental health system in your country. Are you receiving any other forms of support apart from medication? I think it is important to be realistic about how much medication can achieve. Sadly, there's no miracle pill out there that will "cure" you of OCD. The most medication can do is take the edge off your anxiety and improve your mood. Unfortunately, it can't get rid of obsessive fears and it won't stop you performing compulsions. Only CBT can do this. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend pursuing a referral for CBT.

I hope you can contact your doctor soon.

Sarah

Thanks for your reply, Sarah!

I live in Sweden so you're right. I know that there's no miracle pill for OCD, you're absolutely right about that, but since the pills have no effect on me at all it's just a waste of my time and money. I've had CBT for a while when I lived in another city, and to get CBT where I currently live I have to get a referral from my doctor, I finally got hold of her today. Well she's gonna call me tomorrow so we can talk about the referral. I hope I can change medicines soon and start CBT again, this is at least a step in the right direction.

Take care!

Hello Sofia,

sorry to hear u r at the bad moment ut there is hope.

It's true that there is no any miracle medicines for OCD.

But there is a medicine that can be better impact on ur OCD.

I had same exp as u have. and Sertrailin did not worked on me too for over last three years ( esp. at my severe condition).

Thereafter, i dicided to go one of the best senior psychaitrist in my country India.He recommended me to take Escitalopram up to 40mg. and cope better way of CBT to teach my obsessions.

now u know i am 70% ok and really feel best.

and i have an exp.. that medicine like Escitaloprom also can be very helpful.

so don't worry to much if there is a problem there is a hope....

u may change ur present way of treatment..if u like.

take care and feel free to contact.. we are all here always with u..

nt feel alone

Warm Regards

Naval Shukla

New Delhi India