OCD at the heart of emetophobia

I have had OCD most of my life but it got worse when I was 14 (i'm now 26). My OCD is contamination especially when it comes to bodily fluids. When I was 16 it focused on sick (though I am afraid of contamination from other things like poo) and I believed I had emetophobia. But I saw my CBT therapist today and she feels that the OCD is at the heart of it. Thinking about it, I'm not actually afraid of being sick itself, its the feeling of contamination after. Before I am sick it is the fear of feeling contaminated after not a fear of being sick. I don't think I actually fear the act of vomiting anymore than the next person, it is all about the contamination. So do you think that means it is OCD and I should be approaching my therapy from that angle?

Guest PartVie

If you're not afraid of being sick or the act of vomiting, then I don't believe it would be emetophobia at all. With emetophobia, you will do anything to avoid being sick and you are definitely afraid of being sick. Although it is common for emetophobia to be present as well as OCD, in your case I would say that it sounds like it's OCD without emetophobia. I think approaching your therapy targeting the OCD is the way to go. Then if you do find that things aren't getting any easier with vomit based fears, have a look at that again. As far as I can tell though, the strategies for conquering a phobia are pretty much identical to the exposure response therapy for OCD. So in any case, you should see improvements.

Guest Annabel

Yeah just to second what Vie and your psychologist say- it sounds more like contamination OCD surrounding bodily fluids than specific fear of vomiting. I have emetophobia and OCD but all my contamination OCD centres on fear of bacteria and viruses that cause sickness, if the germs didn't cause vomiting I wouldn't be concerned about them!

xx

Edited by Annabel

Hi,

It is interesting reading about this!

I used to be affected more than most to travel sickness (buses/coaches), & sea sickness (sea fishing), but put it down to an initial motion thing, but there after as more of a psychologically fearful induced thing. I really used to fear of getting in trouble, & then there was a social phobic element of embarassing myself & others. I never classed this as as emetophobic though, but wondered if this same kind of thing applied to anyone else.

Does emetophobia come under OCD? I was reading ohsoslightlyOCD's post about hypnotherapy, & it sounds like she was advised not to try it, as it has no place in the treatment of OCD, so not sure if any of you can advise on this? http://www.ocdforums...showtopic=50840

:original:

xx

Edited by felix4

I do everything to stop myself being sick. I do have a fear of it but the actual thought process that goes through my head is what will be contaminated. I panic when I feel sick and try my best to stop myself. I've had OCD way longer than my fear of sick and my OCD centres around toilets and bodily fluids. So that is why I wonder if the OCD causes the emet

Guest Annabel

Oh okay, so you do have emetophobia too then but just for a different reason. I guess OCD can cause emetophobia and emetophobia can cause OCD. I developed emetophobia first and OCD second and it's the other way round for you!

If you could vomit without any contamination (e.g. if you were drunk and were sick into a bucket) would it not be a problem?

xx

Edited by Annabel