to wash or not to wash?

I'm currently working on my contamination compulsions and I am supposed to not do them and learn to live with the anxiety.

Today I have been on a long train journey for work and been in London and Birmingham city centre. The cab I went in stunk and I feel so dirty. My husband said he will run me a bath when I get home but I know that will make me go into full scrubbing mode. When I come home from work I brush my hair, change my clothes and wash my hands. It's taking me ages to get to just doing that. Do you think I should just so that today or have a full on shower? Help!

Guest sarah1984

Hi Jennie,

I would recommend that you just brush your hair, change your clothes and wash your hands - that's what I would do on returning home after a long day out. I would decline your husband's offer of a bath. Maybe you could have a brief shower just before bed tonight?

Sarah

I think you have been doing really well just brushing your hair washing your hands and changing your clothes so i agree with sarah and i would do that again today. It is great your doing so well i hope it continues for you and i hope you had a nice birthday a few days ago. Good luck

Joanne xx

I pretty much managed it. I added in washing my face but the main thing was not washing my hair until the next morning. Still feeling anxious about it though. I'm seeing my cbt therapist tomorrow which will be good. I've always thought my contamination OCD was about not getting ill but keeping the horrible outside world away from my haven of a home. X