New job = great apart from health questionaire

Guest Zee

Hi all

I have just been offered a full time job which is great apart from the paperwork i was given today including a pre employment health questionaire.

It asks have I had more than 10 days off due to sickness in the past year - which i have and have i EVER suffered from anxiety, depression or other mental health conditions. It looks like the form is then sent off to my doctor who sends them a report.

Im really hacked off - just as im getting my life together ocd sticks its nose in,

I dont want to tell them about my ocd problems but i will have to now.

Can they take back the offer of employment because I have had mental health problems.

Thanks Zee :(

Hi well done on your offer of full time employment i doubt that they can take back this offer as that would be discrimination so be honest and i wish you the best of luck with this, I think your great working despite your ocd so all the best to you xx

Can they take back the offer of employment because I have had mental health problems.

Hi Zee,

Congratulations on the job.

I would need to re-read the act, but to my knowledge disability discrimination act would now make it illegal for them to withdraw the job offer. Although, if on the application it asked about health issues and you put none, they may come back to you about that, but if they do perhaps just point out that you put no because OCD is no longer part of your life.

Don't worry, I am pretty sure now they have offered you the job they cant withdraw it. Any problems give me a shout.

Ashley

Guest BoneChina

Hey Zee,

Would it be possible to talk to someone at the organisation (HR dept?) about it prior to submitting the questionnaire? Perhaps query these aspects and your proposed responses. They might send you to occupational health person, but might consider it based on what you tell them... But not make it a major thing if you do 'come clean'. Maybe incorporate the questions with some more general things about the job?! Just some ideas...

Good luck with it, and congratulations for getting so far!

BC

Hello - thank you Joanne, Ashley and Bone China.

Ashley - on the application it asked me had i had any time off and what for - i said yes and that it was a "severe personal event" but on the medical forms it asks for full details and that they will contact my doctor. I do feel im over the worst now so i dodnt want the past to hold me back.

BC - yes i will probably mention something in general.

Will let you know how it goes and Ashley - will come back to you if there are problems.

Thanks so much you guys

Zee ;-)

Hi Zee

When i started my new job I had to go to see Occupational Health who I had to tell about my OCD. The appointment seemed to be about what if any support might I need to allow me to work OK - as it happens I was fine but i think it ight be for how they can support you.

Hi Zee,

I was sent an occy health questionnaire to fill in before I started my new job and due to my answers on that (I think I wrote that I had OCD and depression, both of which were currently well-controlled) I was asked to see an occy health doctor. My experience sounds similar to whitebeam's - they were interested in what support, if any, I would need to enable me to work well and to provide good attendance. I know it's hard but my advice would be to be honest; if for any reason your OCD etc comes back then they can't say that you hid it from them and are probably more likely to be supportive. For example, my OCD started to flare up a few months ago and I was referred back to occy health; they helped my employer to put "reasonable adjustments" into place and (I know I have been very lucky here) my employer has been really supportive. I think that if I had declined to mention it on my form then I might have run into difficulties when I began to relapse.

Guest Snooker

Zee, I wish you very good luck and don't think companies should be allowed to ask these questions so long as people are not a danger to themselves or others which of course we are not as we have ocd, and that people should be monitored on there current performance

In reality a company can not get rid of you due to an ocd disability legally, but could find fault in a persons work etc and get rid of them that way, this is the problem we have no "real" protection, and that it why myself I do not disclose my ocd, however if you do not think that you can hide your ocd in the workplace due to compulsions/rituals etc then yes it would probably be better to tell the employer and hope they are understanding, but again they could still get a person out for another reason

I am not trying to be negitive and hope you understand where I am coming from and again wish you very good luck

Guest StoneRose

i wrote i suffered with depression and anxiety in any job iv been in and nothing was ever said...the doctor cant give them any information without consent but they never would.you dont have to explain whatc u dont want too...just nosey questions.NOones perfect so dont worry x x x

Guest FobicFairy

Once they offer you the job they cannot change their minds as it would be discrimination. However, if you lie on the form then are later found out you will have broken your own contract.

I looked into this at the CAB last time I was in your position. I would be honest but brief.

Good luck with the job.

Ff

Guest irretractable

I can't comment specifically since I don't know how things work in the U.K., but I know how anxiety-provoking it is to have to disclose. I had to disclose to occupational health - to be honest, the examiner didn't even seem interested in the least...just breezed right over it, including my lengthy list of meds. I also have to disclose on my liability insurance application. They just ask for a letter from my psychiatrist every year. And I have to choose whether to disclose or participate in a health program for my licensure application. I know in my case, these are steps to ensure that I'm safe to practice....so I've had to go through a few extra steps, but my disclosures have not interfered in my career so far. I hope that it's the same with you.

My recommendation would be to just be very matter-of-fact about it and not embarrassed by it. Just, "this is how it's been, and this is what I'm doing about it now." Be confident, and don't feel you have anything to apologize for.

Guest Zippo3342

Don't disclose it, it is none of their business. In my experience due to stigma it will effect the way they see you and they may even get rid of you or rescind the offer. I never disclose my OCD in jobs now and I have no problem. You cannot legally get in trouble for lying on a health form or to the workplace checking doctor. Keep work and OCD separate.

Another benefit of keeping it to yourself is keeping it secret helps fight the OCD because you are forced to try and fight harder to keep it under wraps and keep the OCD from affecting your work output.

I know it is sad but it is the way it is - people just don't understand and the nastier colleagues will judge you and not promote you (speaking generally).

Thank you all for your very helpful messages - i very much appreciate your advice.

I had my 1st day today - i filled in the health questionaire and put they I had suffered sever anxiety for a period in 2012 and was taking 20 mg citlopram (it also asked if i was on any medication so i had to put that).

My boss asked my how I am and i said im fine, im coming of meds now. He looked a little surprised but just moved onto something else. At least its out in the open now, so i guess they cant discriminate against me as i didnt hide it. I didnt say i had ocd, rather sever anxiety - its to personal to be describing my obsessions to some guy i dont even know lol.

Take care Zee