Struggling with colleague at work and my OCD

A colleague of mine has just lost her father to cancer. She is not doing well at all and keeps breaking down at work. I am worried about her but it is also having an effect on my OCD. There are only three of us in a small office and you could cut the tension with a knife. She is asking us questions like when will she feel better and saying she just wants another 5 minutes with her dad. I feel guilty for saying this but I just can't cope with it. It has been two weeks now and bless her but she is still in stage 1 of grief (me and my other colleague looked it up). It is affecting my IBS as it is making me stressed. I recently completed successful CBT and managed to get a lot of my life back from my OCD. But I have noticed it slowly creaping back over the last two weeks. I feel stressed and tired and can feel OCD taking control. What can I do? I want to help her but I need to help myself more.

Jen x

Hi Jen,

What a dilemma and it is easy for me to say look after number one but having OCD makes you susceptible to external influences as you are finding.

Look at it this way - what use would you be to her anyway if you go downhill ? Not only will you be no use to her but also yourself and those around you.

Think you have two choices; grin and bear it or speak with your manager and emphasise it is 'yourself' you are concerned about and continuing to contribute. Maybe it will make the manager more aware of how your colleague is coping anyway and you may get a win win all round.

I would feel same as you. Good luck x.