Please refrain from using HOCD, ROCD and POCD acronyms.

Guest legend

Hi Legend. I'm a bit confused. BDD seems to be a sub-category of OCD as it shares many traits (compulsions, rumination, reassurance-seeking, etc) but yeah, it's recognised as a separate issue. Not entirely sure why though if it's just another "flavour" of OCD (it's got its own section on this site) - hopefully Ashley or somebody else can shed some light on it. :wacko:

closely linked and treatment similar, but im led to believe that bdd is a separate entity to ocd., not a sub category , as such, although people with ocd become

obsessed with the way they look/etc, therefore its ocd

I have tourettes, which is co-morbid, but the treatment is different. bdd is co morbid with ocd, but the treatment for bdd is similar to treatment of ocd

• 2 weeks later...

Does the theme really have no impact on your chances of recovery? I ask because I seem to see many stories of people recovering from say harm-o, but not too many with the 'what if nothing is real' thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the theme really have no impact on your chances of recovery? I ask because I seem to see many stories of people recovering from say harm-o, but not too many with the 'what if nothing is real' thoughts.

I don't think the theme matters in terms of recovery, provided, the therapist fully understands OCD. The key I guess is finding a good therapist, then you have a good chance of recovery, regardless of the form of OCD.

I was interested in the point about whether bdd is just a flavour of ocd or a separate issue.I didn't know I even had bdd until recently although the experts now agree I've had it from 15.The first time I ever went to the doctors for anything apart from the odd cold etc and cosmetic surgery was about 12 years ago when I decided to test how strong my teeth were by seeing how hard it was to damage them.I was diagnosed with ocd at this time.I was not actually diagnosed with bdd until last year because my way of coping with it (and what I've unfortunately gone right back to )is totally avoiding looking in the mirror.I think a lot of people with bdd have other flavours of ocd too.So in my opinion although bdd is considered separate to ocd to me it all just feels the same.

Guest legend

indeed lovid. but, on the flip side you can have bdd alone without ocd. however whats important is that we don't confuse the 2 as they are separate entitys

but also vitally important is that a good therapist will unravel what is bdd. and what is ocd as there is a gap between both illnesses

a bbd sufferer would go to the point of plastic surgery in some cases convinced that they are ugly. etc etc

co morbid yes, like tourettes can be comorbid (me as an eg) similaritys, yes, treatments different yes, but whats important is they aren't the same and treatments for

each are unique, but if implemented correctly for all problems, then life should and will get better

Guest Charlotte

Hi Purple :)

That's half the problem! COCD could be contamination, checking, counting, cleaning, cancer... anything!

That's one of the reasons not to use these abbreviations - they're hard to understand sometimes!

Lottie

I hope my waffle helps one or two people :)

Ashley.

Nope... Just one person. When hot off the waffle iron with vanilla ice cream and mapple syrup, i aint sharing! Edited by machiato

You are absolutely correct. It goes from one fear to the next. And to get caught up in the flavor is just a distraction from the true work of recovery. We must not get bogged down in the fear of the moment. Wonderful insight, Ashley.

One of the cruel things about OCD is that it makes you doubt you have it. For example, at the moment I'm going round in circles thinking 'I don't have OCD, I'm just a bad person.... but is that just the OCD talking?... no I'm definitely a bad person...' and round and round and round we go :no: I haven't been diagnosed either but it's important to me to go, even if just so I can get that extra reinforcement that what I'm thinking really is OCD and I'm not just crazy.

When you say 'can people act on it' I'm not sure whether you mean (a) can people act to treat their OCD? (in which case the answer is yes) or (b) do people act on their OCD urges? in which case the answer is no.

I've had CBT over something else and it wasn't especially helpful either. But CBT for OCD is well-proven to significantly help. There is also medication you can take which I believe can really help.

I really recommend you going to the doctors asap to get to the bottom of this, and also buy one of the many helpful books on OCD. I feel I have learnt a huge amount just by reading around the subject and coming on this forum.

Reading your post made so much sense... Before i had HOCD (sorry for saying that) i was convinced i was going to harm myself constantly and before that i obsessed the world was going to end when i was a child... Thank you so much for the input

Must be allowed to use 'pure-o' very real and quite a different experience to the more standard form of ocd.

What you need to remember is that Pure O is not even an accurate description, and is really no different to other forms of OCD, there are ALWAYS physical compulsions, even if it is just seeking reassurance or avoidances, they are both compulsions. So from that perspective the mechanisms of Pure O is exactly the same as other forms of OCD in that a person gets obsessive fears that cause anxiety which leads to compulsions (physical and/or internal), all the criteria for a diagnosis of OCD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I haven't read everyone's posts, but here is a simplistic view.

Think of the use of acronyms as a sort of minor crime. because to me, unless they are - as Ashley says - absolutely accepted and common terms, there will be loads ,of people who don't recognise what it stands for.

The business news in papers is a classic example of this crime - often I haven't a clue what they stand for, the ones they use.

Regulatory compliance in my business, insurance, really simplifies it - you cannot use an acronym in a document unless you absolutely spell out, right next to the acronym, its full meaning.

Well done Ashley, in our OCD world let's view them as a minor crime and outlaw them!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest FobicFairy

30 seconds!!!! Good grief, you would hardly have time to get wet never mind make a quick lather to put on your face, armpits and bits.

I could only manage about 5 minutes, but then I have long hair that I wash and condition and I like to wash between my toes which means balancing on one foot at a time.

Well done for hand shaking the others, it wouldn't bother me either these days to touch someone who could have pee on their hands.

Sounds like you are making real progress Ashley, well done. Let us know if you manage to succeed in peeing whilst riding on your bike, it sounds pretty impressive.

FF x

What you need to remember is that Pure O is not even an accurate description, and is really no different to other forms of OCD, there are ALWAYS physical compulsions, even if it is just seeking reassurance or avoidances, they are both compulsions. So from that perspective the mechanisms of Pure O is exactly the same as other forms of OCD in that a person gets obsessive fears that cause anxiety which leads to compulsions (physical and/or internal), all the criteria for a diagnosis of OCD.

I'm really going to open a can of worms now..

So what is the difference between GAD and OCD?

I often think "pure o" is another term for GAD.

GAD sufferers have obsessional thoughts which causes anxiety. They most definitely have compulsions also as you have described.

Now we could say their compulsions aren't the main impact on their daily life as they are subtle, but the obsessions are.

So really does GAD exist or is it all OCD?

You could argue that say, social anxiety has it's compulsions to avoid crowds. So wouldn't that make it OCD?

Just throwing it out there

Edited by yinyang

I'm probably talking about it as a form of reassurance because as you know I'm having difficulty getting a diagnosis. From what I have read about the two the main difference is people with GAD don't have a particular obsessive "theme" . Seems to me this is where the confusion lie's as the two are so simular

Well I think it's interesting. My brother with for example. He's worried about his clarinet, school, if my grandpa's okay (he's sick and he's 80), etc. All normal things to worry about. He asks a question, it's answered, he's finished, moves on to the next thing. He may ask questions, but he moves on within am hour. So in essence, he worries excessively about things that are likely to happen, things that could happen any day. But he accepts that they could happen.

I'd also like to point out that I find anything to do with psychology interesting.

Edited by Purplepiper7

Yep your bro worries over normal things but is able to let them go. I don't think people with GAD have repetitive obsessions either. I think they constantly worry over many situations during the day. Where as an OCD sufferer may have one particular "flavour" or a hand full at any one time

Edited by yinyang