Please refrain from using HOCD, ROCD and POCD acronyms.

Guest Dannyd

Only just joined the forum and already I feel so connected!! Been feeling so alone for the best part of my life due to this OCD! So happy to finally find others who share my struggle!!

I wish you all the very best :)

• Ashley pinned this topic
  • Ashley unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...
On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:52, PhilM said:

I'm not sure I know what half of these acronyms mean!

Indeed I am with you there Phil, I saw someone using the POCD term for 'Pure O' the other day.. oh the irony (they're both unhelpful) and Pure O is not the POCD term.  I also saw COCD being used on Twitter recently.... shall we guess what it could be... contamination OCD? checking OCD? Counting OCD?

So I think it's worthy resurrecting this thread to remind people the terms are unhelpful (especially if people focus on treating the P, R, H or now C parts and not the problem itself, the OCD).

• 1 month later...

Hello. I'm resurrecting this thread again as a) I find acronyms confusing - when I was diagnosed in 1995 I don't there were any and b) I don't think they are helpful. I still don't know what COCD means! :WTF:

2 hours ago, PhilM said:

I still don't know what COCD means

Good call to resurrect his Phil.  And yep I don't know what COCD was meant to mean, and what's more I don't need to know, nor want to know!    

Let's ditch these unhelpful, useless and confusion acronyms for good (including Pure O). 

I think the acronyms can sometimes make sufferers think their form of OCD is somehow more serious sometimes? But as Legend once said (I always remember) "same meat just different gravy."

These acronyms that purport to be an OCD type are for me simply an avoidance compulsion. 

My flavour of the gravy is harm - it's not nice, but it's nothing to do with me 

The first thing users of these acronyms need to know is that - the theme of manifestation of their OCD is nothing to do with them and says nothing about them as a person.

But to get better, we need to accept it and be prepared to openly talk about it without avoidance. As PolarBear says, people don't get better from OCD if they continue to carry out compulsions. 

• 2 weeks later...

As I sit here on my rocking chair on my porch as an "old timer" thinking again despite the polite post started some years ago there seems to be more and more acronyms coming along. Where do they start and what do they mean?

They are not as far as I am aware medical terms and can cause great confusion and even insult.

Now despite my dislike for acronyms I'm giving an example or two: HOCD could "mean" homosexual OCD or to some hoarding OCD or harm OCD. POCD could mean paedophile OCD or pure OCD etc.

I know this post will be meaningless to some and probably more acronyms will come along - if anything they seem to becoming more prevalent.

Just my view as always. Best wishes, Phil.

I think people are practising avoidance by hiding behind an acronym. They are scared to state the word harm paedophile homosexual in connection with them. 

Perhaps we should politely ask those who post such a topic to explain what they mean, and kindly not use the acronym again. 

Gradually the message might get across. 

3 hours ago, taurean said:

I think people are practising avoidance by hiding behind an acronym. They are scared to state the word harm paedophile homosexual in connection with them.

Sometimes but not always.  I think often people use acronyms for speed of typing, rather than typing the whole thing out