work?

Guest SamMalone

Guest SamMalone

Just wanted to know if you all do a day job or not, sorry I'm not being nosey, but I work but find it so hard to get up or motivate myself for work, I even don't pursue a different role as my confidence is shot to pieces. I could have been a teacher, as I have teaching qualifications, but I know in my current state I wouldn't get the marking done, as I cant seem to get my mind into gear to do a simple task.

I suffer with harm OCD depression and anxiety

Sam

Hi Sam I work full time and have worked in the same place for nine years now. OCD does make it difficult, but I feel, for me, it is better than sitting thinking about things all day. I think if I hadn't been there as long as I have I would find it difficult to look for work, but for me now it's just everyday business.

Guest SamMalone

rebexy I know what you mean, for my OCD cripples me unless I have something in my life I know I have to do. Its sad but when I have a weeks holiday I often feel more depressed and my OCD is worse

that is so true, it's like you can't wait to have a break and then 2 days in you can't wait to get back to reality again. Too much time to think is not good. That's why this illness is so cruel, it doesn't let you enjoy the things other people do.

Guest SamMalone

So true, I believe in hard work when at work and 3 colleagues would love to get me sacked and have tried as they are quite old school union types and feel I have made there job harder, sometimes I have cried at home at the way they have treated me, yet I still feel terrible when I'm alone to long at home

Guest Simplyme

Definitely agree - I work long hours - too long really but it would do me no good at all to be at home as much as I sometimes feel desperately like I need a break. Keeping busy is the key for me but the combination of work and OCD leaves me exhausted!

I work full-time and also have severe OCD and depression. There are occasions when I can't get through the workday but thankfully mostly I manage to. I have been with my current employer almost two years and I am so lucky in how supportive and understanding they are - without that I don't think I would be working full-time. I get very tired - working full-time, then spending hours on OCD as well, plus side-effects of the meds I'm on - sometimes it almost feels like all I do is work, eat, sleep, wash and worry. But work gives me a sense of purpose, that maybe I can do something well, as well as making me be around people. I'm on leave at the mo and having to force myself to go out of the house so I don't spend all my time alone.

I'm with you on that one Northern star. Life is just work eat sleep, wash and worry! But at least work can be a break for us...not many people would be saying that I guess, but it does give you a purpose and something to do.

I work full time which is shifts so days, nights and everywhere in between. The problem I have is that my OCD only exists at work, when I get home it completely stops. This makes it really difficult for me as I dread going in each day.

Guest nervous

I am not working right now, my ocd was related to the last place I worked and has created a huge mountain to overcome. I look forward to working again some day.

I'm with you on that one Northern star. Life is just work eat sleep, wash and worry! But at least work can be a break for us...not many people would be saying that I guess, but it does give you a purpose and something to do.

My OCD doesn't stop at work but it is a bit easier to manage as often I can say to myself, "I will do this ritual for now and that will do until I get home and wash 'properly'". It feels a bit odd going to work for a break but sometimes that's how it is!

Guest honey

I work full time and it's very good as a distraction. I get so busy and distracted that my OCD is pushed into the background. I won't say it's not there, cos it's there all the time, but work gives me many hours without it.

honey