THE LINDEN METHOD

Guest Jamesp

3 hours ago, kittypurry said:

Could somebody please just briefly summarise what the linden method is?

Happily, kittypurry. :)

The Linden Method is a marketing tool which claims to be an OCD treatment but with no proper research evidence to back it up. It's sold by a guy who makes all kinds of false claims about the method, his qualifications, his research, his successes... and who has a habit of getting nasty towards anyone who tries to expose him and his method as the rubbish they are. 

Enough said? :unsure: 

1 hour ago, snowbear said:

Happily, kittypurry. :)

The Linden Method is a marketing tool which claims to be an OCD treatment but with no proper research evidence to back it up. It's sold by a guy who makes all kinds of false claims about the method, his qualifications, his research, his successes... and who has a habit of getting nasty towards anyone who tries to expose him and his method as the rubbish they are. 

Enough said? :unsure: 

The most succinct summary of him I've ever read! :)

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

By spreading nonsense, those organisations maintain their memberships. They maintain businesses. They maintain their own egos. They DO NOT promote recovery. Why? Because doing so, as I said earlier, would ruin their business models.

Where is that little Smilie with somebody laying on the floor busting a gut laughing? :lol:

I keep coming across web sites with a business that guarantees to cure anxiety 100% I won't name it because the entrepreneur that runs it doesn't take criticism well :tongue:

Never have I come across a more ridiculous, not very bright and ego-driven individual in my life.

I'd love to see a debate between Paul and him....but it would be a bit like feeding Daniel to the lions :lion:

34 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

I'd love to see a debate between Paul and him....but it would be a bit like feeding Daniel to the lions :lion:

I will give him credit, Linden is a very good speaker and presents himself very well.  The other thing with Linden is he waffles, he waffles and spouts rubbish about anxiety he sounds good, but it's all waffle and a good expert would slice straight through his waffle hopefully.

5 hours ago, bruces said:

How does he get celebrity endorsements? 

Money, exaggeration, selective quoting or all of those things. Just look at the political world, or the business world.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the Linden method is utter horse ****. One look at their website and you can clearly see it's designed like millions of other websites selling too good to be true things. It starts with a flashy offer and a few questions to intrigue you, then it goes into deeper and deeper detail, always hinting at a solution, but never telling you what it is. Referencing common problems to sucker people in. Repetition of key phrases. Every so often punctuated by 'endorsements' with little or no source. Eventually after a long ass read, you get to the only £XX.99 bit. Somehow there's always a money back guarantee too, so obviously what have you got to lose?

As an armchair enthusiast of persuasive psychology and physical fitness (the media world of which is rife with 'get buff quick' scams), and a professional software developer and website maker, I'd say this is a site to hook vulnerable people in to parting with their cash.

13 hours ago, Ryukil said:

he does have a point about how spending too much time on forums and dwelling on anxiety and OCD can be counterproductive

He is partly right, but his motive for suggesting is not the welfare of the users, but he knows the more people hang around forums they more he knows they will come across threads like this putting them off his products . 

The reason I say he is partly right is that it depends why the person is using the forum. If they are using a forum in a negative way for reassurance for example then forums like this are not helpful at all. But if people are using the forum for positivity and are asking practical questions with a view to challenging their OCD, then places like this are a godsend!

11 hours ago, bruces said:

How does he get celebrity endorsements? 

They are minor celebs... always made me laugh how he kept referring to the brother of Will Young..... he was scraping the bottom of the barrel by his celeb endorsements being the brother of a famous person :a1_cheesygrin:

• 4 months later...

Linden is so desperate for logo's from accreditation bodies on his site (to give credibility I assume), and most have now forced Linden to remove their logos we have a new one...UKRLP... who I hear you ask! 

Morale of the story peeps, if a private therapist has accreditation logos, they may not mean anything at all... do your own research!    

I watched the Miranda video on his website, smacks to me she's somehow been encouraged to create a video bigging his service up, but she's not said if she's got personal first-hand experience of it benefitting her/family (if it has, then fair enough for her video).  I tweeted to ask. 

He never used them, until he realised they're used all over the internet then suddenly videos appears for Pure O, HOCD etc...  Great way to capture attention!   Actually, thankfully one thing we do agree on is he also highlights the fact they don't exist.... sadly he once said the same about OCD too.

12 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

He's gone a bit crazy on his FB page asking everyone to contact the police about criticism they have received about TLM.

Where is this, I cant find it. 

Weirdly I can't seem to find it on his actual page.  But when I do a FB search for Charles Linden it comes up as one of the posts, a huge rant about trolls.  I've copied and pasted it from 19th May.  In the comments underneath people were saying they had contacted the police etc.  He also did a video about trolls. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL CLIENTS & FRIENDS.

We are experiencing a TROLL attack. They create false profiles and generate false posts, graphics and websites and contact our clients and friends.

It is abhorrent to us that these people are contacting clients and non clients directly, posting links to factually incorrect, troll generated content, in order to undermine our organisation, myself, our reputation and our amazing team. It makes us all sick to think that people are so jealous and selfish that they don’t even consider how it affects the people they contact. An investigation is underway by the authorities and these people’s employers. I would ask anyone receiving these communications to copy and send them as screen grabs to us at beth@thelindencentre.org with a line or two from you about how it made you feel - For those who are able to assist us, non members will receive access to The Linden Method free of charge, members will receive free access to my next interactive recovery webinar. Your information will be held in the strictest confidence and only presented to the authorities and legal representation.

Kind regards and thanks

Beth
Beth Linden
Linden Tree Education

PS. As per our T&Cs, we will continue to remove and/or ban any negative comments or bad language and anything that is unsupportive or negatively influential to sufferers and their recovery. We have a duty of care. We are always open to receiving comments directly, positive or negative - Be plight please. Please email me directly beth@thelindencentre.org

2 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

PS. As per our T&Cs, we will continue to remove and/or ban any negative comments or bad language and anything that is unsupportive or negatively influential to sufferers and their recovery

Rather than respond to them.,,, just remove.  On one hand you can argue he's trying to protect his business and his product.....  on the other hand I would suggest he knows there's very little substance behind the 'testimonials' and he needs to do all he can to prevent negative feedback and critics. 

Are we giving the method undeserved attention by discussing it? Better to ignore the fuss.

Mr LInden will be fully aware that 'All press is good advertising, even when they say bad things about you.'

I've no doubt he delights in every little controversy so long as it keeps his name in the public eye and mind. The less we discuss him the better, IMO. :dry: