Clomipramine in short supply

Guest Checkmate

I got clomipramine for the next month today and there didn't seem to be any difficulties and the pharmacist didn't mention any, but I have noticed the packaging has changed so presumably it's a different manufacturer now.

Edited by CJay
  • 1 month later...
Guest Hamfish

I'm having the same problem North of the border. I've been taking 210mg of clomipramine for about 14 years and it is the only AD that works for me with regard to both my OCD and depressive symptoms. When the capsules started to run out my GP switched me on to 225mg of the slow release tablets, but I was finding the increase in side effects too much to deal with (constantly soaking with sweat, unable to sleep properly, feeling a bit odd during the day). Then the capsules became available again, but now it's looking like the supply has dried up once more for all of the capsule strengths. Fortunately, due to changing back and forth between the dosages, and my pharmacy accidentally ordering extra prescriptions for me I've managed to stockpile about 3 months' supply of my normal dose with a combination of the s/r tablets and the capsules (2x75mg s/r, 1x50mg or 2x25mg plus 1x10mg). I've spoken to Novartis, Teva UK and Almus (pretending to be a GP concerned about one of my patients) and from what I can gather at the moment Novartis are still producing the 75mg s/r tablets, but have ceased production of all of the capsule strengths, Teva UK are currently out of all strengths of capsules, and haven't got a confirmed date for resupply and Almus are also out, but are expecting more stock within the month.

Hope this helps

cheers

Lachlan

Oh, and while I remember, my GP told me that clomipramine is not the only medication affected at the moment and one of the reasons for the shortfall in supply is due to UK manufacturers selling their stock abroad for higher prices, leaving the domestic market with a bit of a medication drought.

Edited by Hamfish