which should be treated first. Depression or OCD

Guest PaulE

Guest PaulE

Hi everyone., i suffer from both. At the moment im having theropy for the OCD , but my anxiety and depression has sunk to a bad low. Would like to know if anyone has an opinion on this or has the same thing

Guest Starlight505

I would say you should get treated for depression first as that can be a killer, i.e. if you try to commit suicide like I did.

hope you ok :)

I have suffered both too. This is a tough one as both ocd and depression have bought me to a point of wanting to kill myself. Ocd can cause depression so if that is what is causing your depression then then that should be treated first to stop the depression but both are terrible and can leave you suicidal. I have ms now too and I would choose having that over ocd and depression any day x

Guest PaulE

Thanks starlight505 and joanne for your imputs. Not an easy one to answer. Im finding things tough at the moment. I hope the next few months of theropy will start to see some better results..At the moment my internal planner and time keeper doesnt like the idea of someone alteting it..So sorry to hear that you have MS joanne , as well as OCD and depression. That must be really hard fot you..

Guest irretractable

My thought would be to treat both at the same time. Are you interested in medication? An SSRI can target both. It is possible that getting over the OCD could help your depression, in which case you could try CBT first and see if it helps. CBT can be effective for depression too. I think it depends how depressed you are and how much it's impacting you. If you're having a hard time functioning, I think it might make sense to treat both at the same time.

What ways are you thinking about to treat your depression?

(I have bipolar and OCD...and tourette's)

Guest PaulE

It was orignally only depression i was being treated for. I started eith talking theropy and got refered on from there. Other assesemts i had showed the signs of OCD..it was a few months later i could really see for myself that i had a problem. My wife and family saw things getting worse too.the only meds im on is citrapram..i would like to wish you all the best too..

Guest irretractable

Is your dose of citalopram high enough? (i.e. do you have room to work with it?) Could you ask for an increase? Sorry you're having a hard time.

Guest PaulE

Im on 40mg which ive been told by the doc that, thatis the highest dose tjey can go on that..tje doc was reluctant to change to something else last time i went there. They havent been exactly helpful all the way through this..

Guest Icicle

I have had ocd and depression for most of my life, although I didn't recognise my ocd was really at the root of my problems until recently. I don't know really which should be treated first, but I know that during my depressive episodes I have no motivation to tackle anything, my ocd becomes much worse because I just stop even trying to manage it, so for me if my depression isn't managed then I cannot get a handle on my ocd stuff

The first time I had CBT I was asked, 'you're not depressed are you? Cos we can't treat you for OCD if you're depressed.' I lied and said I wasn't depressed. Since then I've always denied any depression. I've got a feeling that therapist was wrong but it's made me very wary about admitting to depression.

Guest PaulE

Thanks everyone for your comments. Its made interesting reading. I know i havent replyed to you all. But respect your opions..wishing you all the best..

Guest Starlight505

Hi. Icicle i agree with you about the ocd - depression cycle. Like when im depressed i have no interest in life generallly and then my ocd anxieties get worse. Today i saw my psych and they reduced my quetiapine from 200mg XL to 175-150mg IM . Swapped extended release to immediate release. I just took it now. I hope i stay stable and that i tolerate immediate/quick release, as im used to the extended version. Also im scared of psychs as they seem like legal drug dealers.

Both are very serious as each other clearly but I'd say the depression first but at the same time also both can be given proper attention as each other that's for sure.If you have severe depression just like OCD I'd think getting treated for your depression would certainly take top priority first that's for sure :original: .