Any OCD sufferers mistaken for being bipolar?

Guest heartplace

Guest heartplace

I have no symptoms of bipolar disorder and yet I've been asked before if I ever thought I could be bipolar. Just because I have depression and get emotional due to my OCD doesn't mean I'm bipolar. I don't go from being super energetic to all of a sudden feeling depressed/hopeless. When I get depressed it's constant and I generally just lack energy and motivation. And I definitely sleep more than people with that disorder often do.

Another thing is that my parents haven't really known much about mental illness up until these past few months with me, but they've known people with bipolar disorder and have asked me if I could possibly be the same way. It frustrates me because now I have an occasional obsession with possibly being bipolar and ruminating constantly about that. :/

Edited by heartplace
Guest Icicle

My Gp thought I was bi-polar years ago, he referred me for a psychiatric assessment where they told me I had Borderline Personality Disorder. I'm pretty sure now all of my symptoms are somehow explained by OCD and low mood, I do not have a personality disorder or bi-polar, although I do have mood swings where I go from being ok to being suicidal in a matter of hours :(

Guest heartplace

That's ridiculous, I don't understand how OCD and BPD or Bipolar Disorder can be confused with each other. Of course to outsiders it might look the same but coming from a Pure O point of view, I see a huge difference between those three. People just don't get it.

Edited by heartplace
Guest eve.bisrat

honey, psychatrists are the problem...the only people that can actually help non narcissitc psychologycal problems are clinical therapsits, psychologysts in any shape or form...

psychatrsits are not very helpful and they are poorly trained in the matters of soul, other than psychopathy, (whihc is the absence of one), and psychopathy cannot be cured or helped, so they are used to drugging people aways from society, not actually helping them, and they see personlity disorder everywhere and are excellent foot soldiers for pharmaceutial companies to push drugs...

not everything is psychopathy, for God's sake, or even depression...

depression is feeling down not having any legitimate reaosn for it, and feeling down coz you struggle with somethign as debilitating as OCD is NORMAL...

how can you not feel depressed at times, if your first thought in the morning is panic...

psychiatry is also wrong to take in other people's opinion, in the patients eviroment, as valid parameteres...

if you are in a family that doesn't know much about psychology or menatal ilness, as you said your mum and dad don't, they will confuse your nomal changes in mood, that come from your struggle with OCD as 'extreme' mood swings, and a shrink will interview your paretns, to get a broader sense of your behaviour, and get wrong feedback...

i have seen it happen...

i have seen a mother reporting on kid, completely projecting her own behaviour and issues,and spychatrist taking it as valid input and treating AND drugging young children based on conditions the mother has, not the child...

if you were not OCD and you had mood swings, especially extreme ones, that would invite suspicion of bipolar, but you have a perfeclty valid reason to have mood swings, you are struggling with unusual and unexplored OCD strain that is often misdiagnosed and misunderstood...

that alone can make a perosn go from chirpy to derpessed...

BDP is a very contradictory diagnoses...some shrinks do not agree it exists, they call BDP just a form of PTSD---like a more evil form of expressing PTSD---BDP diagnoses has turned inot a way for shrinks to "punish" surivivirs oif sexual abuse...

they don't really examine if you fit BDP personality profile, they hear you are sexual abuse suvivior and immediately go to BDP...

it's insane, specially since half of the psychiatric branch will say BDP does not exist, it's a narcissitic way of expressing PTSD, but these people are lesser narcissists,and can be helped trhough psychologycal approach...

(with which i disagree, it's not PTSD, it's narcissim that makes BDP act the way they do and narcisism cannot be helped)

back to topic, stay away from psychitrists they see narcissim everywhere, a lot of them project their own narcissim onto their patients, clinitians are the way to go...

psychologysts, clinical therapists and such...

Jung and Fromm, NOT freud...froid, however im suppos to spell dr ziggy's name :lol:

Edited by eve.bisrat

No one on this thread said a psychiatrist wrongly diagnosed anyone with bipolar. Slamming all psychiatrists is not right.

A psychiatrist is basically a psychologist with a medical background. A psychiatrist can prescribe meds. Psychiatrists do not think every problem is one type of mental disorder. They are highly trained professionals who understand all of the many psychological disorders out there.

Guest eve.bisrat

Psychiatrists do not think every problem is one type of mental disorder. They are highly trained professionals who understand all of the many psychological disorders out there.

yes one would assume so, unfortunately the evidence does not support this.

Perhaps in your experience. It is not wise to paint all in a profession with such a wide brush.

As for the original post, I think careful consideration of symptoms would easily show a difference between OCD and bipolar.