Who here has had a formal diagnosis of OCD in the UK and what did it entail?

This was more a matter of interest to be honest. No matter how hard I pushed for a 'formal' diagnosis in the past, no one seemed to have the expertise to do it.

Although I'm 99.9% sure that I have OCD and I'm not really bothered whether I'm formally diagnosed or not, it gets tiresome having to keep repeating myself to doctors and having to explain the symptoms etc everytime I go for a medication review.

Guest Icicle

I have a diagnosis from a psychiatrist, but I still have to explain everything anytime I go to the GP's! My understanding is that it is at a psychiatric assessment that you can get formally diagnosed :)

Guest maj28

Hi Ascend,

I have been formally diagnosed as having OCD-it was quite a straight forward process for me, it probably varies according to the quality of healthcare proffessionsals you visit. At my first visit my gp asked me to describe my symptoms although not a psychiatrist she tried her best to understand what i may possibly be going through, she didnt give me a formal diagnosis there and then obviously But she did refer me to a psychioatrist/pscyhologist for a formal assessment and they picked up on it quite quickly. I was then referred to get the relevant treatment.

Regardless of whether you have been formally diagnosed or not, you are right it doesnt mean anything however it is important you are getting the relevant help to overcome it and to do so ( in my experience) it would be better if your gp picked up on it just because it helps i think with the next steps ect.

Just thought i would share my "formal diagnosis" with you.

Take Care :)

I've been diagnosed with GAD, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Phobia's but I can't say I've ever heard my GP mention the word OCD - although I know that's what it is and my medication says that it is for OCD patients.

Edited by inneedofhelp