Let's Try To Look For The Positives Today!

It seems we all a bit better if we can (without engaging or neutralising) replace reframe or refocus away from the damaging obsessional thinking, plus ease away from the compulsions that in reality just close the OCD around us.

The thoughts will come - it is how we react and how we elect to defuse them that matters. Best to carry on as normal irrespective.

My aim is to aid my brain to SEE them for the distortions and morphs they are, and render them benign and move away from obsessing on them.

Edited by taurean

Just spent a happy couple of hours reflecting on achievements this year.

I haven't achieved much with my own family - they had to go on hold - but my wife's family have had a great need.

Feeling now a little better able to cope. Didn't wake stressed.

Yesterday presented some challenges I faced up too - didn't avoid, but didn't enjoy.

I now can be warm and - with the medication - comfortable - if a bit dopey.

Edited by taurean

Bit of a downer; experienced a flood of diarrhoea.

Checked both medication leaflets and - you guessed it - common side effect, diarrhoea!!!

Hope its just a short-term one, though I do have some loperamide - diarrhoea treatment!

I got lucky this morning - I was in the supermarket and managed to get to the toilet.

Edited by taurean

Negatives:

- Got very drunk last night and intoxicated my body badly

- Said some things I regret to my flat mates but they understand I was drunk

- CMHT are supposed to be seeing me daily and prescribing meds for that day but they've given me a whole months worth which I am likely to OD on.

Positives:

- Dealt with what I said to my flat mates by saying I'm an idiot, so sorry!

- Didn't do OCD compulsions

- Tidied up my room and about to do some work

- Listening to some nice music

- Downloaded some Christmas music

negative: crappy night with ocd nightmares...

- feeling a little more ocd these past few days

positive: woke up. now having a nice cup of coffee while the rain pours down on my world outside

feel like i'll make some plans to nip this ocd in the bud

Positives

Watched plenty of football and made the dinner.

Read a nice novella.

Negative

Very unpleasant picture from the newspaper yesterday keeps hanging around but I am aware of course that this is OCD at work and just getting on with things.

Some unwanted flashbacks today.

Edited by taurean

Weather much better here in the south.

Had a good sleep and fun dream - been wanting that.

Not sure if can get out today but maybe unwise till the diarrhoea eases. Probably better to rest up heal and enjoy my books.

Despite the challenges of shoulder meds and diarrhoea I made it a good day yesterday.Lots of tv and made tea and read. Those are fine activities.

Found myself unelpfully obsessing just now so will switch attention.

Negatives:

- Didn't get much sleep

- Wanted to OD last night

Positives:

- Didn't OD last night

- Taking positive steps to get better

- Done a lot of work for next week

- Applied for a job

- Feeling a bit more positive today

- Had a nice lunch

- Am going to relax tonight and play video games

Positives

Done a lot round the house, had lunch together - but mental chatter busy so not such a great experience for me because of that.However kept going notwithstanding, left them be.

Been writing a historical piece - needs a bit more flesh on the bone.

Negative.

Those looping thoughts again;been churning away today again.

Edited by taurean

Positive

Needing to take on the newspapers again didn't fill me with joy, but I am out to find a balance between essential exposure and response prevention on the nasty stuff, and enjoyment on the good stuff - sufficient to take the sting out of intrusions and work towards rendering them benign. Before I got too complacent, I took on too much of the bad stuff and I think it overpowered me.

Negative

The thoughts feelings and emotions the news throws up in me, and I need to sit with for a while in ERP.

Concerned about those of us who live in the north and Scotland, badly affected by flooding, infrastructure damage and loss of power. At Carlisle part of the West coast main line railway has collapsed - that is really serious. In Keswick in the lake district - a town I know well - flooding is dreadful.

Negative: Been feeling guilty about my thoughts and wondering if there's something bad inside me, something horrid.

Positive: I know I'll never act on it and I won't hurt anyone and that our thoughts are just flotsam and jetsam. Had a much better day today; got some stuff done and will hopefully be busy over the next few days. Am very grateful for the support.

Negative: Feeling much the same as always.

Positive: I walked home.

Pleasant Bonus: I saw one of the funniest things I think I have ever seen. (Having said that it is probably something only I would find really funny.)

Positive

Managed to control my loose stools by taking some some Loperamide .

Kept the kitchen clean and tidy today - we create a lot of cooking utensils and washing up with both of us at home. Wrote to my neighbour explaining about the damp works.

Romance stories are usually biased towards an upbeat and recovery position moving towards health and happiness - this is why I think i enjoy them, they calm and interest me.

I read the other half of a regency novel today and - yes - the lady and the lord finally managed to get together! And in a nice twist against the norm at that time, he agreed that she should keep all her own money and place it in trust for their children (the norm at the time was for a woman's money to revert to her husband upon marriage - not great as, if you believe the books, the men tended to gamble large sums away).

Chicken and roast potatoes for tea today.

I need to do some more looking around on Amazon for more book downlaods, or re-read some of the good ones I have read this year.

Negative

Upper right arm still painful, and important for me to look to stay upright and not go to lie on the bed too early tonight. We have two lovely - and re-upholstered - orthopaedic Parker Knoll chairs, so sitting there - as I have been most of the afternoon (fell asleep at one point) - watching tv, listening to music/reading is just what the doctor would have ordered.

Edited by taurean

Negatives: Went to a work training event today; was okay, but I felt very uncomfortable and panicky and was scared of my thoughts.

Positives: I challenged the thoughts and managed to pick myself up, before going for a KFC. I had trouble sleeping last night, so came home and had a nap; I'm missing my creative writers, but may join them at the pub a little later and am doing some writing now.

I've been feeling that there are elements of my depression that make me - if you'll pardon the phrase - think like a loser, but the last thing I want to do is act like I'm alone and friendless when I know I'm not. I just want to get out of that mindset because I don't like what it does to me. I'm very ashamed of the thoughts I've had, but I know they're not real and they won't happen and I know I can do better. I just want to stop thinking that everyone hates me when I know it's not true; it's just my depression saying so.

Well I can feel that my blood pressure is up a bit, but since there are currently pills everywhere in this room - as I am using 3 now for the shoulder injury, plus citalopram and the propranolol, and taking a vitamin and mineral supplement - I think I will pass on the propranolol (beta-blocker) unless I have to take it - just a little headache and some slightly cramped musles, reckon I will manage them ok.

Have managed to anchor more into the present today - I am pleased with that - and watched a lot of tv - I am also pleased with that.

I plan to go down in a while and watch the 2nd half of the Monday night football on Sky Sports 1.

Before that, I will use the OCD-UK amazon link from the laptop and see if I can find some more Kindle books to download.

Edited by taurean

Negatives:

- Feeling very tired but overslept and missed lectures

- Debating having Dominos

- Feeling that I'm a bad person

Positives:

- Had a nice flat Christmas dinner

- Got £50 from the University

- End of term this week

- Nearly done with my coursework

- Christmas is on its way!!

I enjoyed the football, dinner together and looking through the types of book I like on Amazon and making some orders.

Done lots of kitchen work, dishwasher loading and unloading today.

Managed a walk out to the supermarket and a coffee in the cafe.

A little better on the pain front today, but still not great.

Hugs for you, Heryn. Please remember you're not a bad person; you're just not well. And we've all overslept and missed things; it's happened to me and the last two months I've overslept and been late for work twice. It happens to us all.

C x

That feeling of being a bad person is a common issue with our disorder, especially when we get horrible detestable intrusive thoughts that repulse us and are opposite to our core values.

Hugs to everyone struggling with this problem - the latter issue is one with which I am sadly only too familiar myself.

:group:

Negative: I had a horrible day at school. I was having very graphic, very disturbing thoughts about harming people, to the point where I basically refused to go to class, so I got sent to ISS, which is basically detention that takes place during the school day, because I was being insubordinate. Every time I refuse to go to class, I will be sent to ISS, but if I'm honest, I don't really care. I'm tired of dealing with OCD, and I'm tired of hearing other people complain to me about how difficult it is for them to deal with me.

Positive: I had a chicken sandwich for dinner, and it was delicious. I also went on a walk, and it was nice. I like the cold weather.