Probably my most bizarre obsession yet...

Guest heartplace

Guest heartplace

It sounds crazy.

I have this fear that eventually, everyone in the world is going to start killing each other! And I just don't quite know how to shake it off.

Obviously I know we have wars already, but my fear is more along the lines of a global thing. Not even a world war, just literally everyone killing everyone! If that makes sense.

I don't even know of any compulsions that come with this obsession, so I don't know how to deal with this one! It's stressing me out.

Guest Tricia

I have similar obsessions without compulsions, although mine are a little different.

Can you not use your religious beliefs here to help you? I find that knowing there's better to come helps me deal with similar fears.

With all my obsessions of this nature, I try to keep busy and focus on the moment. The thoughts don't always go away, but that approach does help somewhat.

Edited by Tricia
Guest heartplace

I have, and I continue to do so, but it doesn't make the doubting go away. It comes and goes, really. Occasionally I don't think about it, then it comes back. In fact since starting meds my intrusive thoughts are no longer present throughout the majority of the day. But when I get them, I certainly do get them!

So when I read a scripture or a paragraph in a religious journal, it brings comfort to me yes. But then a day or so later something triggers me back into the same doubt I had earlier.

Guest heartplace

Anyone else have any advice? I don't quite know what to do about obsessions with compulsions. I think this is just about the only obsession I have that DOESN'T have a compulsion!

Guest Tricia

I hope someone will, because I have no idea how to deal with obsessions that have no compulsions. I know many people will say obsessions never exist on their own, but that is not true.

Hi heartplace and tricia dont you think the compulsion is giving this thought the time of day. Thinking about it questioning it and yourself. The thought just needs labelled as ocd as that is what it is.

Gemma xx