feel so trapped

Hi

I am currently staying at my parents cos things have gone to pot at home. I can't compulse in front of them cos they either say I am ridiculous or they just start going on about how worried they are.

I am currently stuck cos I want to compulse and can't tell them. I am 30 years old and being here feels like I have been reduced to a child. I am working on getting back home but they dont get it whatsoever.

I am exhausted. I know how to get better with the ocd part but having to cope with the fact my parents who I always thought were understanding simply are too busy to take the time for emotional support. My mum always say she knows everything there is to know about ocd yet she doesn't even know what ERP is and my dad just asks if I am ok and if I say yes it seems sufficient.

Just tired,

Gemma x

I think sometimes people on the outside get tired of being exposed to OCD all the time. They don't understand what it's like and they are sometimes constantly reminded that there is something not right going on. They don't know how to react. Sometimes they react out of anger because it's not something they can fix on their own.

You may have to do this more or less on your own. It's doable. It's nice having emotional support from others but you know the work to overcome OCD has to come from you.

Guest Cathead

Do they understand what having OCD means, and what it means to you in particular? Because if they're seeing it as "ridiculous" as you said or talk about their concerns, they might not understand it well?

I've learnt that compulsions are more jarring to people that don't understand them, once people understand it a bit they tend to be less taken aback.
It might be worthwhile sitting down to talk to them about it. It could be stressful, yes, but to clear up any misunderstandings they have about your OCD can help you get back to normal without them causing more issues.

I don't think that you should have to do it on your own, that's a massive ask of anyone, especially if you're in a stressful period!

Do you have any friends that you could look to for help? Or take what support your parents offer, something is always more than nothing.

Hi thanks polarbear and cathead, thankfully I have a brilliant boyfriend who gets me completely. I guess it's hard to come to terms with the fact that my parents probably just aren't able to comprehend ocd. I tend to keep every compulsion from them because they get too frustrated with me and are too emotional about it.

Gemma x