Just looking for a little support

Guest ThankYouLetters

Guest ThankYouLetters

Hi! I'm entirely new to these forums. I'm going to go into detail or anything, but I am OCD. I've had it since I was ten, but I've brushed it under the carpet a lot, putting it down to a passing feeling. It was only recently that this got really big, really quickly: it's mainly focused on even numbers and a fear of anything facing the left direction. It's gotten to a point where I pretty much limp on my right leg and I go up stairs by taking two steps up with my right leg and one with my left, even if I'm carrying something heavy or delicate. There are other things, not to mention the strangest thoughts, but I don't want to make this into a huge paragraph

There are days when I think I'm just being stupid, or I'm going insane, or I'm just using OCD as an excuse for stuff, even if I haven't really properly confided in people. I've always lost my courage at the last minute...

Hello TYL. Welcome to the forums! When you are walking up the stairs, Could you try walking with your left leg? Maybe you could try to do it to the beat of a song, right, left, right, left, and repeat this. I understand it's hard, but showing your OCD you're stronger than it may help. With the numbers fear, when an even number pops up, dismiss the thought with a "Yeah, whatever" and try to focus on something else. I'm not a professional, but one thing I've learned from this forum is do NOT reassure yourself.

Or, you could contact your GP and they could refer you to a professional?

Guest ThankYouLetters

Thanks for your response. Believe me, I've tried to break the habit, but it's this feeling that if I don't do it, somebody I love will die. Or if I don't scribble 999 on my test (especially maths, before every equation) then I'll fail. I don't know if I'm making any sense? It sounds stupid, I know.

I'm not really sure about what to say, or if they'd tell the people I live with :p

Guest ThankYouLetters

Actually, now I just sound lame... I'm walking myself in circles and I need to do something about it. Does anybody know how exactly you can tell somebody you have OCD?

I've been there with the "if you don't do something, someone will die". It's no fun. I had to learn to teach myself to stop listening: it does go against our human instinct to not listen to what our mind says, but its your ocd mind saying that stuff and you have to fight back.

If you're thinking of telling someone you have OCD, approach them and say "Can I talk to you about something that's really getting to me. I've come to the conclusion I'm suffering OCD and I really need your support.". If they don't understand it at first, allow them to research the disorder or you can show them something. You don't have to explain to them what you're going through just now, because it can be hard to talk about. If you're in school, talk to a trusted teacher (e.g the school learning support coordinator if you're in secondary school or your class teacher if you're not in secondary). I hope this helps and if you need any more tips, ill tell you what I learned from the last 2 years. :)