Compulsively cracking my joints... constantly, every minute. It's like I can't stop. Someone please help! Could this be a form of OCD?

Guest yelliegilbert

Guest yelliegilbert

It started around 2 years ago, when my severe depression started and has progressively gotten worse. I can crack just about every joint that is crackable in my body (jaw, neck, back, elbows, wrists, fingers and each little joint in each finger, hips, knees, ankles, and toes), my back is what is the worst though. I try to crack it constantly, and the thing is, it'll only crack so much. You would think after it cracks, I would stop, but no. I keep trying to crack it. Sometimes the compulsions are worse than other times. Yesterday and today have been very bad. My math tutor asked me if I was okay yesterday because I kept bending my back in various ways to try to crack it. I have pulled muscles because I do it so forcefully and so much. In the timespan that it's taken me to write this, I have probably tried to crack my back over 50 times by contorting my it in different ways. Can someone please help me? Please, if you know anything or anything to help stop this.

I know this sounds stupid, but I feel as though I am trapped in my own body. I hate this.

Hello! Your problem doesn't sound stupid at all, and I can definitely understand why something like that would be so bothersome. Have you spoken about this with your parents, a sibling, a teacher, a friend, etc.? I know that it can be extremely difficult to do this, but I think that it's very important to have a good support system. Now, I'm not a doctor, but is there anything that causes you feel the need to crack your joints? Maybe if something triggers it, then we could work on responding to that trigger differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you crack your joints to make it "feel better" or is it like people who tap a door frame several times before walking into the room? Do You get anxious if you don't crack a joint?