Counsellor or Therapist

I was diagnosed with OCD five years ago. Recently I agreed to go for therapy (or so I believed).

The first appointments I received I felt were fine and I was to see a psychotherapist. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend.

After some months I've received another appointment but now it with a different person - a counsellor.

I'm concerned because I believe the appropriate treatment for OCD to be CBT and I doubt that's what is being offered from a counsellor. Whether I should or not I'm unsure, but I feel let down. It took a lot of courage to agree to go for CBT in the first place and now I feel I'm being offered something that's unlikely to be beneficial.

I'm a very private person anyway and find it difficult to open up to people. From what I've read on the internet a counsellor is somebody who primarily sits and listens to you, albeit with empathy. It's not what I believe I need and its not what I want.

Now I'm unsure what to do.

I've just reread the letter and the place it's from has changed too - it's now from the rural counselling service.

Had the question asked of me been will you go for counselling the answer would have been no.

I was diagnosed with OCD five years ago. Recently I agreed to go for therapy (or so I believed).

The first appointments I received I felt were fine and I was to see a psychotherapist. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend.

After some months I've received another appointment but now it with a different person - a counsellor.

I'm concerned because I believe the appropriate treatment for OCD to be CBT and I doubt that's what is being offered from a counsellor. Whether I should or not I'm unsure, but I feel let down. It took a lot of courage to agree to go for CBT in the first place and now I feel I'm being offered something that's unlikely to be beneficial.

I'm a very private person anyway and find it difficult to open up to people. From what I've read on the internet a counsellor is somebody who primarily sits and listens to you, albeit with empathy. It's not what I believe I need and its not what I want.

Now I'm unsure what to do.

Absolutely ask the question. Remember, if the person treating you is 'funny' about you asking the question, that in itself in indicative of them not being the right person. Some counsellors are CBT trained, and will deliver the therapy as CBT not counselling, if that is the case fair enough. But if it is counselling being offered I would decline it, because there is no evidence that counselling will work for OCD (other than giving you someone to talk to maybe).

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice - it's much appreciated.

I tend to avoid speaking on the telephone if I can, but my husband will ring them for me and there's an email address. My husband wants to simply cancel the appointment though because it's had me in tears (it doesn't take much unfortunately) and is stressing me quite a lot and I have to say it seems a less stressful solution.

Hopefully, I should have another appointment with my psychiatrist soon (my husband's going to ring them to find out when it's likely to be) and I can discuss it with her.

The question she (the psychiatrist) asked of me though was would I go for CBT - had I been asked would I go for counselling I wouldn't have agreed. I'm not a particularly talkative person anyway, but I have my husband to talk to.

Edited by CJay

Just a quick update on this.

My husband rang them yesterday and I managed to talk to them myself and explain what was worrying me. They were very nice and helpful and it seems they do offer CBT as well and the appointment I've got is for an assessment.

Thanks again for your advice and support.

Edited by CJay