Benefical Distractions For Winter Months - What Can you Add?

Here are a collection we put together last year on the forum.

Firstly we have a pre-printed pad of coloured one week to a page sheets, to enable each of us to mark on in pencil our planned activities. so I can see when my wife plans to be out, she can see my external trips planned. We can then if necessary move activities around to gain access for example to the conservatory for tumble-drying (as the machine is based in there).We can see if gardening is being planned, and join in or not as we feel we wish to.

A major shopping trip can be planned and recorded on the log.

It's in pencil so easy to move things dependent on the weather, for example.shopping.

Assume responsibility for some of the washing and provisioning to ease pressure on my wife and give her some free time
• Watch the Sky At Night CD-Roms I have been collecting with the magazine all year.
• Get out my keyboard and compose a song or two and play some music and sing a little.
• Take my wife down the leisure centre and have lunch out during the week occasionally
• Look to keep weekends along the lines of our old formula of activity to give a balance and make them different to weekdays - like when I was working
• Get into series like Strictly on TV and science programmes on TV, and watch a bit of catch-up, TV
• Pursue creative writing
• Learn some more cooking skills

- Cook/Bake creative foods
- I live pretty far away from my family and closest friends and so I really like to send them postcards or letters or just a little something to show them that I am thinking about them.... during the holiday months (and always) it is nice to show others how thankful you are for them.
- Watching movies, snuggled up with my husband, my coziest blanket and some yummy treated - always a good thing.
- Go out to dinner or cafes more often. Getting out of the house in the winter time is tough because it is soooooo cold and it makes me just want to curl up in a ball under my fuzzy blanket and never leave my bed. However, staying in all the time is no good for my OCD or my depression - so I will head out a lot with my husband or friends and go to nice restaurants or cafes.

Listen to music
-Write a song
-Write a story
-Watch 90's Nick
-Make tea and bundle up with a book
-Find the worst chick flick ever and make popcorn and watch it
-Find a puzzle
-Bake cookies
-Find gifts for birthdays/Christmas

Edited by taurean

For me:

Playing guitar and singing country songs badly and loudly

Changing an instrument's strings

Get completely lost in a sci fi book

Get completely lost in [the MMO that I play]

Put together a model kit

Sleeping/snoozing listening to a radio drama

Firstly we have a pre-printed pad of coloured one week to a page sheets, to enable each of us to mark on in pencil our planned activities. so I can see when my wife plans to be out, she can see my external trips planned. We can then if necessary move activities around to gain access for example to the conservatory for tumble-drying (as the machine is based in there).We can see if gardening is being planned, and join in or not as we feel we wish to.

You're a very organised pair Mr & Mrs R.......it's a good job we're not married......I don't even write a shopping list!!

Impressive list. thumb%20up.gif

It'll be spring before you know it.

I think it's a collective list from last year Snowbear, not Roys own. I hope so or given this, Mrs.R might be a bit cross :angry:

- Watching movies, snuggled up with my husband, my coziest blanket and some yummy treated - always a good thing.

:tongue_smilie:

I now have a mental image of Roy and Caramoole as a married couple snuggled up under a blanket eating yummy treats. :laugh:

Caramoole has just done this... :faint:

Roy is thinking about it... :unsure:

While Snowy goes off to make more mischief... :diablo:

I could amuse myself all winter long just doing emoticons. :sleazy:

Drawing,

History Books,

Knitting,

Sewing/repairing things instead of throwing them away,
George Clarke's Amazing Spaces,
Crafts in General,
Going for a walk every day
Baking (Particularly good to plan and bake goodies for Christmas hampers.)
Matching odd socks (I need to do this all the time, but winter especially)
Sorting out clothes/books for the charity shop
Planning adventures for the year ahead
Christmas planning (if you're into Christmas)

Get into a weekly pub quiz then you can brush up revising your general knowledge

I have to say I love winter :) I love being outside in, shall we say, bracing weather conditions and then getting home to a cup of coffee and lighting some candles. I love wearing scarves and warm jumpers and having soup and hearty stews and drinking Bailey's and snuggling up. I even like the dark nights, I like walking home and seeing all the lights in people's houses and reflected on the roads.

I think I'm pretty much alone in this though!

I think I'm pretty much alone in this though!

I love winter too!

I'm so annoyed I've been getting down recently because I normally love winter and how pretty it is. Layers of knitwear, socks and lots of tea and soup is ideal ^_^

Romcoms are actually pretty good watching, even for guys like me. There is usually a will they won't they why can't they angle - sometimes it seems impossible, but they might get there....

And in general terms they are quite calming.