If you eat rubbish expect to feel like rubbish!

Guest Tricia

Hi Bambi,Tricia has said she understands that people eat comfort food,and I am certainly guilty of that!

My understanding of this thread was that Tricia was talking about people bombarding her with their problems,never asking how she is,then when she tries to help by suggesting a healthy diet,they totally ignore her,yet still are moaning about their problems!

I may be wrong and have misunderstood,but I'm sure Tricia will reply x

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that Bambi was referring to Tricia Daisy, possibly more me. That said, I neither lack Compassion or consideration.........I'm just a bit longer in the tooth than Bambi and our opinions probably differ through different experiences.

I don't dispute "comfort eating" (for want of a better term) exists, I still feel it's addressable and the first step is to take ownership of it as a behaviour we can change. In that respect I'm puzzled at her disappointment......My wish is for people to improve their lot, not remain powerless and victims!

Whether we suffer from Binge eating, comfort eating, anorexia, BDD, OCD, Panic disorder....or even poor diet...,we have to acknowledge the problem and change the behaviour...,.that isn't lack of understanding, it's a fact.....difficult as it may be to accept or implement!

Guest Bambi98

Again, no...if what I said was aimed at a specific person or post I would have quoted it. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just find that people lack compassion towards overweight individuals in general whilst other equally unhealthy coping techniques are shown more understanding and aren't branded as a result of a conscious decision. I don't know. I'm probably wrong.

Again, no...if what I said was aimed at a specific person or post I would have quoted it. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just find that people lack compassion towards overweight individuals in general whilst other equally unhealthy coping techniques are shown more understanding and aren't branded as a result of a conscious decision.

Absolutely, Bambi.

Well said.

While eating right is a good thing for your body, I've seen no studies suggesting eating less junk food and more fruits and vegetables has a direct benefit for OCD symptoms, anxiety or depression.

As for being a doormat, maybe it would be better for you to take the time you give counselling others and use it toward trying to make your situation better.

There are so many studies about diet and depression/anxiety. One example is a group of people fed either a high or very low fat diet and then put under emotional stress. Those who ate the high fat diet were showing far more signs of stress than those who didn't, including raised blood pressure. There is no doubt diet plays a significant role in depression and anxiety.

PB, I see you added to your comment, but as OCD is an anxiety disorder, it stands to reason that if diet helps anxiety it is likely to do something for OCD. I am not talking about a complete cure, obviously.

A centre for OCD bans caffeine. That also affects our levels of anxiety, as does sugar...

Edited by Tricia

Don't take it back, you could eat the most amazing balanced diet in the world, but id you don't do the therapy then not a lot will change. Eating well will help our mood, and that is generally good for our mental health. But as for direct impact on the OCD, nope.

I really think it can have a direct impact.

Also, the Bethlem will turn down those who have severe depression as well as OCD.

No one can dispute that depression can (for many) be alleviated by diet and exercise.

It's almost impossible to benefit from therapy when deeply depressed, so diet can make a huge difference (and vitamin D!).

I'm not seeing a lot of compassion or consideration when it comes to opinions that may differ from your own. How disappointing.

I am not a comfort eater. I struggle to eat enough on the best of days for a vast array of reasons. However, I understand that some people see food as their only comfort and sometimes the only consistent thing in their lives. It's horrible for them and I can assure you that 99% of these people don't want to rely on food and wish to be healthier. I suppose that you could argue that they are making the choice themselves, but it certainly isn't an easy choice to make. I've known people who eat a lot because they say it helps them to manage their emotions.

Is it healthy? Absolutely not. Humans have a tendency to deal with their feelings in unhealthy ways. It's not as simple as just choosing to stop...it's a little deeper than that. Are there some people who are just lazy? Perhaps. Even so, they're still people with feelings and if you're worried about someone it'll get you much further to be supportive and encouraging instead of making them feel bad about themselves.

As a rule of thumb, if you eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly you will feel generally better. For some, certain foods or ingredients (caffeine, for example) exacerbate the issues that are already present. It varies from person to person.

I agree with so much of what you've said.

Please don't think I judge anyone for being overweight or eating badly.

I am merely at the end of my tether giving advice to certain people who won't, or can't, listen but who continue to bombard me with calls. They are not all overweight, but they all eat so badly and are suffering due to it.

Orwell - about fat and illnesses such as fibro - I have fibro and I can say that whether I am overweight or not I still struggle with pain and fatigue. Maybe one of the reasons people with these kinds of illnesses are overweight is that having an illness like fibro can makes a massive impact on your ability to exercise. I frequently feel frustrated about what I cannot do but wish I could and for some time I made my condition worse by pushing my body to exercise more than it was ready for.

As for ocd and diet I don't think diet makes a direct impact on ocd. Due to ocd there was a time when there was only a few healthy foods I was allowed to eat and during those times the ocd prevented me from eating most sugars (except those ones such as fructose in fruit). My ocd wasn't improve by the change in diet nor has any other dietry change impacted on it. The only real benefits I can see for ocd in a healthy diet and exercise is that people often feel more confident and alert when they exercise enough - I guess that confidence enables us to fight the ocd more. A recent study suggested exercise outdoors helps depression and that makes sense - especially when vitamin D in sunlight is taken into consideration.

There are lots of medical conditions that impact on our weight too - a fat person doesn't necessarily have a poor diet. Conditions such as PCOS or cushings make an impact. I have PCOS due to insulin problems starting in childhood - I was very trim when it started. Now I have to work solidly at exercise and diet thoroughly and I am lucky if I can lose half a pound in a week or so. Out of curiosity has anyone ever thought about psuedo cushings and weight caused by the stress of the constant anxiety involved in living with or fighting ocd?

SaraJane, I wanted to reply to your message but don't have time to today, but just wanted to ask whether you've heard that ME and Fibro are misdiagnosed (up to 60 per cent of the time) and the symptoms are often due to a vitamin D deficiency. You may well be aware, but I've only recently discovered this.

Hi Tricia - thank you for replying. Yes I do know as the consultant started out from a standpoint of tackling my difficulties as probably being caused by vitamin D as my levels were undetectable in a blood test. Mega doses later and on a long term prescribed daily supplement unfortunately I am still in pain and suffer with fatigue and fog. It was only after the low vitamin D was resolved, other issues ruled out through blood tests and some time had passed that I was finally given the fibro diagnosis. It's encouraging to know that there are consultants who are vitamin D aware and rule this possibility out first along with ruling out thyroid and so on. I'm just starting physio so am hoping that will help and an adjustment in walking habits - switching to a slower pace and avoiding hills has improved my ability to get out and walk further - which all helps in vitamin D exposure :). My psychiatrist was curious about how the vit D would affect my mental health and whether it would improve it - so far it hasn't but the CBT I am having is making a massive difference.

I hope things are improving for you.

Sara :)

No one can dispute that depression can (for many) be alleviated by diet and exercise.

Nobody can dispute that diet is important and certainly factors in mental well being, but often people's diets are poor because they suffer from severe depression, or major depressive order.

One of the things health professionals look for, to reach a diagnosis, is a change in diet, appetite and weight.

Edited by CJay

I really think it can have a direct impact.

Also, the Bethlem will turn down those who have severe depression as well as OCD.

It's almost impossible to benefit from therapy when deeply depressed, so diet can make a huge difference (and vitamin D!).

Of course diet can improve mood. Mood can help with depression that's all common sense stuff. As for OCD, anything that helps improve our mood can only be a good thing, more power to it, But let's not be naïve and pretend eating healthy will make the OCD go away, it won't, that's what therapy is for.

For the record I live on a diet of coke, chocolate, junk food. I know countless healthy eaters who eat 100% healthy food 100% of the time yet all of us are still winning the fight against OCD because we do the work needed. Our diets are polar opposites yet we are all making the same progress because we do the therapy. The only difference is their bodies are a lot nicer to look at than mine!!!!

Its all a combination of things. B vitamins tail off quickly with me - apart from other vits and minerals - if I am not eating healthily plus taking a supplement.

Doesn't help my own particular forms of OCD/anxiety - which is why we have to always be aware for that for some such things as diet may help, for others its therapy diet and behaviour plus meds if needed.

Buy yourself a 10 minute cookbook for XMAS Ashley - you can knock up some great healthy meals very quickly and wkith healthy ingredients.

And that full sugar coke has got to go....... I use great-tasting no added sugar squash concentrate - only need a little added to water, fantastic.

Edited by taurean

Of course diet can improve mood. Mood can help with depression that's all common sense stuff. As for OCD, anything that helps improve our mood can only be a good thing, more power to it, But let's not be naïve and pretend eating healthy will make the OCD go away, it won't, that's what therapy is for.

For the record I live on a diet of coke, chocolate, junk food. I know countless healthy eaters who eat 100% healthy food 100% of the time yet all of us are still winning the fight against OCD because we do the work needed. Our diets are polar opposites yet we are all making the same progress because we do the therapy. The only difference is their bodies are a lot nicer to look at than mine!!!!

The last time I saw you, Ashley, you looked fine. It's the inside of you body that will be suffering and as you get older you'll truly regret your diet of junk!

I'm really surprised you can take such a firm line on therapy but not feel the same about healthy eating.

I do still really miss some unhealthy foods, but I resist them. By doing so I avoid depression. However, no matter how much therapy I face the fear of contamination has not yet gone. One kind of compulsion is much easier to stop than another. In other words, pleasure-based compulsions are a doddle to give up compared with fear-based ones!

pleasure-based compulsions are a doddle to give up compared with fear-based ones!

Although I totally see the point you are making Tricia, I think the fact this is true for you does not necessarily mean it is true for everyone. I think for many the concept of eating badly or drinking (or whatever) isn't just to do with pleasure and is mixed up with a variety of complex factors.

The last time I saw you, Ashley, you looked fine. It's the inside of you body that will be suffering and as you get older you'll truly regret your diet of junk!

I'm really surprised you can take such a firm line on therapy but not feel the same about healthy eating.

I do still really miss some unhealthy foods, but I resist them. By doing so I avoid depression. However, no matter how much therapy I face the fear of contamination has not yet gone. One kind of compulsion is much easier to stop than another. In other words, pleasure-based compulsions are a doddle to give up compared with fear-based ones!

I think this is spot on.

Working hard on tackling OCD and its compulsions is fine, but we need to also think of number one,and our general health and well-being too.

A friend at work justified his smoking by saying it "calmed him down".I pointed out that in fact what it was calming was simply the compulsive craving to smoke , not general stresses and anxieties!

Healthy eating is fine and something we must all strive for, it will also have an advantageous on our mental well-being (not OCD directly in my opinion) the same with exercise, these are all helpful lifestyle things but they are not treatments.

I am working on my food habits, but it is not easy and is a lifelong habit and bad food learning as a kid that I need to change, but in my opinion is completely separate from a discussion about OCD.

Tricia is right re giving up the fear-based compulsions.And as has been pointed out by the estimable Caramoole,mine are built into some complex layers like an onion, and are resistent to exposure and response prevention - as with Tricia's contamination.

I do manage to cope better when I feel well and that does help to build some stronger mental resilience. Today I will be able to get my vitamins and minerals into me over lunch -I am ahead of the game with the combinations of meds I am taking becuase of my shoulder strain. :original:

Although I totally see the point you are making Tricia, I think the fact this is true for you does not necessarily mean it is true for everyone. I think for many the concept of eating badly or drinking (or whatever) isn't just to do with pleasure and is mixed up with a variety of complex factors.

I do see your point, GBG, and have defended people on here who say they can't quit drinking/smoking etc. We are all different, but in the main it is easier to resist something that gives pleasure rather than something that alleviates fear.

I would say I have been addicted to alcohol and chocolate and Coke. I have frantically searched the house for all three! My situation has been such that these things were my only comfort in life. But still I can't say with certainty that my craving was as great as another's, or my situation as bad.

I wish everyone who insists I and others should try harder with therapy had your fair-minded, empathetic view.

Edited by Tricia

A friend at work justified his smoking by saying it "calmed him down".I pointed out that in fact what it was calming was simply the compulsive craving to smoke , not general stresses and anxieties!

Roy, you wouldn't like to explain this to my husband would you?! He might just listen to you!