If you eat rubbish expect to feel like rubbish!

Guest Tricia

Hi Tricia,

Thank you for replying and I hope this week is less stressful for you.

I didn't think you were being critical of anyone who is overweight and I understand and appreciate the message you are communicating about healthy eating and vitamin D.

I hope you can establish the boundaries you need with people and they will respect them. I read a fab book book on boundaries once by a couple of Psychologists called Cloud and Thompson if I remember their names correctly. It is a Christian book but people have found it helpful even if they are not Christians because the psychology within it is sound. It was one of those reads that was life-changing for me and it maybe worth a look.

lots of love xx

I really do appreciate your message, Sara.

Twenty calls yesterday evening and this morning (from the same man). I am about to disconnect the phone!

I really do hope your health improves, and thank you again for taking my message the way it was intended.

Love, Tricia xx

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Poor diet and general lack of fitness can both contribute to depression. In addition, anecdotal evidence suggests that occasionally people become very depressed in response to some specific foods. Such a reaction is very individual, and people are often not aware of the particular food substance or drink that is causing the problem."

Caramoole, you quoted the above and I am unsure if what I am about to say has already been discussed, but the foods that lead to intolerances, which can affect physical and mental health, are often the very things we crave. Some cruel joke, I feel!!

So many people are lactose intolerant but unaware. This can lead to low mood and tiredness.

I would just like to point out that it's also possible to be thin and very unhealthy indeed - I know plenty of people like this. They never get any stick for it, though. They just get 'oh you're so lucky, etc.'

In my experience larger people tend to have a healthier lifestyle because they have an 'external' incentive - whereas the 'thin but unhealthy crowd' tend to not give two stuffs what they're putting in their bodies.

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

I agree, GBG. Many thin people eat badly and are very unfit. I had a school friend who ate only junk (and lots of it) and remained so slender. So much is down to genes and certainly many overweight people can be healthier than thin ones. But for optimal health we do need to eat well, exercise and be the correct weight.

I said fat, not obese.

Penn & Teller did wonderful show about this.

I didn't know Penn and Teller discussed medical matters, that's interesting.

I wasn't referring to obese, either, although you don't need to be that overweight to be classed as clinically obese. I would just have said 'overweight' but you had said 'fat' so I used the word. I don't think I mentioned being obese. However, to be truly healthy you can't be carrying any excess weight, although you can still be fit. Fit is different from healthy.

Guest yinyang

One things for sure, mental illnesses don't give a stuff whether your fat, thin or anything in-between.

I've been very thin with OCD and now verging on overweight with OCD, and it's never complained!

I couldn't agree more, healthy eating is so important when it comes to keeping our minds healthy. I forgot how much a healthy diet effects how I feel, no wonder I've felt a bit rubbish recently. If we fuel our bodies properly, our bodies feel good, it's getting what It needs, boosting our energy and mood and thus making our minds feel good. It can be difficult to eat well and get sufficient exercise when you feel rubbish, but I've made it apart of my routine to eat sufficiently and walk at least once a day.

Not weird really, and visceral fat is the worst kind. But again, although our genes play a role in where fat is stored, the right diet and exercise will prevent visceral fat. Nature is nearly always trumped by nurture. Some people, unfortunately, just have to work much harder than others at remaining healthy.

I am prone to this problem and have had to cut my fat intake right down. I eat nothing with oil/butter/margarine etc., and have to limit fatty healthy foods like nuts and avocados.

A healthy weight (neither under or over) and healthy eating are bound to be beneficial to our general well-being.

It's interesting how people who are over-weight or under-weight (take Cheryl what's her name?) are vociferous and touchy about defending this issue......those who are a bit larger frequently describing themselves as "Bubbly" whereas if they are, they would be anyway!!

Maintaining weight within the recommended range (and it's quite a range) and eating reasonably well can only be good for you. Also, it does't mean you can never have a Pizza or fish & chips, it's about common sense

Maintaining weight within the recommended range (and it's quite a range) and eating reasonably well can only be good for you. Also, it does't mean you can never have a Pizza or fish & chips, it's about common sense

I grew up thinking this way, and until 2013 still believed it to be true, but alas it isn't so for all.

I have a book about heart disease and there's a chapter 'Moderation Kills'. Even one fatty meal has a dramatic effect, which I know sounds astonishing. Of course, those who are in good health will get away with treats like pizza, but if you already have partly blocked arteries (and many - in fact, most - have without even realizing it) then that one pizza or very fatty meal can hurt. It's why A & E departments and ERs are especially busy after Christmas and Thanksgiving, apparently.

I am sure I will sound obsessional over this (my mother certainly claimed I was!) but I am quoting experts who have studied diet for decades and made wonderful reversals in diseases. Diseases that are solely down to our poor western diet.

I suppose many find this thread upsetting but I found all I've read about diet empowering. We are not at the mercy of our genes after all (at least most of the time!). We have choices! And my goodness that vitamin D has helped me. I am even tempted to stop many of my compulsions (I say 'tempted' because I know how my husband will react if I become stressed...) But the fact my fear has reduced enough for me even to be considering drastic change is positive, I feel. It's so mild at the moment, but if it turns colder, I might just put some clothes on!

I threw out the peelings yesterday with no worry at all about what I might have inadvertently dropped inside.

P.S I see cancer is in the news again today and how it's mainly down to lifestyle choices.

Edited by Tricia

Everyone, when I was really bad a couple of weeks ago I wasn't eating properly and as a result I got deficiency symptoms, especially muscle tremors. Eating better again and taking my supplements has made a big difference.

I am even tempted to stop many of my compulsions (I say 'tempted' because I know how my husband will react if I become stressed...)

Tricia.....you're driven by the need for a healthy diet as being vital for good mental health and yet appear on the face of it to be unable/unwilling to consider/deal with one major influence (your Husbands attitude/behaviour/demands/abuse) that could be critical....certainly instrumental to your progress. I know it can be complex and multi-faceted but it's puzzling :(

I have a book about heart disease and there's a chapter 'Moderation Kills'. Even one fatty meal has a dramatic effect, which I know sounds astonishing.

I think there are many complex elements to health - but I think it is also important to enjoy life. For me, and many others, an occasional meal of pizza, chocolate, wine, junk food etc is an important part of an enjoyable life. There's only so much you can plan for your exit strategy.

My twopenny worth is that becoming obsessed about diet (or indeed anything) can be highly detrimental.

Every two years at work my firm paid for a full two-hour well man healthscreen.

There was an awful lot in the first hour of it in tests and physical examinations , and they took blood and urine and analysed it too onsite.

The second hour was with the doctor, having having one to one discussions on any of the test results, and discussing lifestyle and suggested changes.

I learned a lot form these screens, and they were very beneficial. I got my initial diagnosois of OCD from one of these and was encouraged to go and get CBT. .

Every two years at work my firm paid for a full two-hour well man healthscreen.

There was an awful lot in the first hour of it in tests and physical examinations , and they took blood and urine and analysed it too onsite.

The second hour was with the doctor, having having one to one discussions on any of the test results, and discussing lifestyle and suggested changes.

I learned a lot form these screens, and they were very beneficial. I got my initial diagnosois of OCD from one of these and was encouraged to go and get CBT. .

It's great and encouraging to hear there are work places that do this and that you were encouraged towards CBT.

Tricia.....you're driven by the need for a healthy diet as being vital for good mental health and yet appear on the face of it to be unable/unwilling to consider/deal with one major influence (your Husbands attitude/behaviour/demands/abuse) that could be critical....certainly instrumental to your progress. I know it can be complex and multi-faceted but it's puzzling :(

I will respond on that other thread you separated for me, Caramoole, but it isn't really that puzzling.

Just briefly for now, though, I am not prepared to do anything that will distress my daughter. If I lived alone with my husband it would be a very different matter, as I am not afraid of his reaction towards me. My daughter has witnessed enough horrors and I am doing all I can to keep life as peaceful as possible for her sake. I can control what I eat but I cannot control my husband's temper, except by remaining as calm as I can, which I was unable to do during therapy.

I think there are many complex elements to health - but I think it is also important to enjoy life. For me, and many others, an occasional meal of pizza, chocolate, wine, junk food etc is an important part of an enjoyable life. There's only so much you can plan for your exit strategy.

My twopenny worth is that becoming obsessed about diet (or indeed anything) can be highly detrimental.

I really don't see it as an obsession, though.

Also, for most people occasional treats are fine. I will have a little chocolate on my birthday and at Christmas.

I suffered ME for 25 years and it was getting so bad I struggled to climb the stairs. Now I can run up them (I was lucky as I appreciate changing the diet doesn't work for all with ME). So, I truly believe I am doing the right thing by keeping to a strict diet. Eating reasonably healthily wasn't enough to relieve my symptoms and depression. I think it depends on our situation (and genes) as to how far we have to take it.

By the way, if ever I do slip and have just one bad day food-wise, I immediately suffer for it. I've heard others with ME say the same.

Edited by Tricia

I will respond on that other thread you separated for me, Caramoole, but it isn't really that puzzling.

Just briefly for now, though, I am not prepared to do anything that will distress my daughter. If I lived alone with my husband it would be a very different matter, as I am not afraid of his reaction towards me. My daughter has witnessed enough horrors and I am doing all I can to keep life as peaceful as possible for her sake. I can control what I eat but I cannot control my husband's temper, except by remaining as calm as I can, which I was unable to do during therapy.

Please don't feel you have to respond to issues of a personal nature unless you feel it will be helpful, I only raised it as the whole domestic situation does potentially seem to be detrimental to good emotional and mental health.

I understand your concerns for your Daughter but she is an adult I believe and could be an ally in helping you with this. Even though your concerns for her are admirable and sincere, it does seem that your choice of action (although entirely your choice to make) are possibly harming you severely. I would have hoped that Mum living a happier, less traumatic life would have also led to your Daughter having a happier, more peaceful life also.