tiredness and intrusive thoughts

Yes I suffer more when I am tired. Anything really that lowers your tolerance levels can make it harder to deal with ocd. This is why it is important to keep yourself as well as you can and make sure you are slept and fed well. If you are finding it hard getting sleep try to take other moments of rest and do something that you enjoy.

Yes I find tiredness makes the intrusive thoughts worse and harder to manage. It's exhausting with a baby up at nights and with all the extra work having a little one creates - it's understandable to find it tougher at the moment. I agree with Gemma about resting when you can. When our youngest was three weeks old my hubby started Uni and I found the ocd and anxiety alongside the exhaustion and responsibility very tough. We found that just a few everyday tweaks took some of the pressure off - it was still tough but it did help. Little things like buying tealights to help light the open fires or playing games when my daughter slept just to distract myself from the anxiety or investing in jars of baby food rather than making my own - it's worth looking out for those things that may ease a little of the pressure for you. We also invested in one of those night lights that sing lullabies and eventually that helped to create a sleep cue in our daughter as well as for me - I found it really soothing :).

I hope too you can get some sleep soon.

Edited by SaraJane

It's lovely to speak to other mothers that understand how tough it is with this anxiety disorder and a new little one...she's teething so up literally all night and obviously then we have things to get on with in the day I try and get out the house when possible this helps...its been really really bad lately but I'm sure it's linked to lack of sleep my mum passing when she was six weeks old did not help...although am severely anxious am not doing avoidance as I don't believe in this its crippling inside but I am just about coping by dismissing although am still doing this about every thirty seconds of the day...everyone says in doing amazing and am a natural but no one ever knows what torment is inside. I'm doing my best us better when rested tho to literally be able to think slightly more clearly xx

Hi Scorpio. As a father, I can only say how much harder I think mothers have it, especially at night. That said, I can relate to the tiredness-intrusive thoughts connection in a big way. The only good thing about being a parent with OCD is that you have someone you care about more than yourself to hold things together for. This kept me going through many tough times and still does. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Scorpio - I am so sorry to hear how tough it has been and about your Mum. I think it is amazing that you are not avoiding things and you are fighting the ocd throughout all of this - that is fantastic and I want to encourage you that you are doing incredibly well in the face of so much. I hope your little one starts to sleep better soon so you can get more sleep. It may be worth seeking out some additional support too just to get a break or have an extra outlet if you can - I know that isn't always easy to find but it can help.