OCD - Your Opinion

Guest LadyLuck

Guest LadyLuck

I realize that people here are not doctors and I'm ok with that, just want opinions, please. My boyfriend weighs over 400 pounds. His very nice home is filled with tons of trash, mostly boxes from Amazon purchases and packing materials, plus a lot of mail and food trash. I once bagged up 27 huge bags of trash but he never took them anywhere, they are still in the front room of his house. The fridge stunk so bad you could smell it 10 feet away. He made a few attempts to find the cause of the odor but didn't do enough, then finally insects developed inside. He got rid of all the food in there now but hasn't been able to get rid of the insects which keep appearing in his ice cubes.

I'm trying to figure out what subcategory of OCD he has. I considered Diogenes syndrome but it doesn't fit because he's very particular about his personal hygiene, being clean and smelling good are extremely important to him. His truck is immaculately clean.

You would think that someone who lived in this kind of squalor would be more of a relaxed easy going kind of person with his guests (although I think I'm the only person he ever invites over), but it's actually the exact opposite. I once left a paper towel sitting next to the sink and he stood there and stared at me until I put it in the trash. If I touch anything, ever, he is watching me closely and I never do anything right, he frequently asks me to re-do things I've done, like placing something in a cabinet or something, he always asks me to put it somewhere else and there are certain glasses I am not allowed to drink out of. He likes that I pick up trash at his place and if I don't do it voluntarily, he asks me to do it. I am somewhat homeless at the moment, having financial difficulties and staying on the couch of a relative, but he hasn't offered me a place to stay outside of being invited over for sex and I get to stay the night and use the shower, etc.

Would love to hear thoughts from others. Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm no expert on hoarding (and not medically trained anyway!) but hoarding is now viewed as something different from OCD in most cases.

I believe a person hoards (in the disorder sense) when their home space can't be used for its intended purpose. Some people have difficulty discarding items because they attach significance to the items rather than hoarding for OCD reasons.

I'd encourage your BF to talk to a medical professional about his hoarding.

Does he view his hoarding as a problem? Has he told you why he hoards?