Over reliance on ERP - CBT the better approach

I think erp works pretty bloody well when inclusive of the package that is Cbt. The important part also is the person with ocd is in a good position to enter it . Treatment specifically for each individual is unique, very rare that people just present with just Ocd 

On topic of topic headline *over reliance on erp. Yes ! You can become overly reliant.... I've tried.. it hurts , not working= misunderstanding= what's the point= learn about CBT 

I'm not surprised OCD-UK doesn't advocate Erp alone ! That's absolutely so like , nah .. but perhaps say Erp isn't solution alone , erp works with cbt , which goes together hand in hand 

Erp is a USA term I feel

Thanks 

Legend 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 14:07, mummyoftwogirls said:

Personally I don't do erp intentionally as a task as such. BUT I wont avoid something and I come across a trigger accidently nearly every day. To me this is still Erp but not in a set way .

I don't think it's ERP, because that's choosing to specifically expose yourself to your fears.  However, if you come across triggers what would previously have resulted in anxiety and a compulsion, but you no longer react to it, I guess that's called 'living' which is a fabulous place to be :)

• Ashley unpinned this topic
  • Ashley pinned this topic

A really good post (on another thread) by Polarbear which I think really helps emphasise the points I was trying to get across in this thread.

15 hours ago, PolarBear said:

That's why ERP is just one tool in the toolbox to use for OCD recovery. ERP should not be done on its own.

There are three main tools: Cognitive work (changing the way you think about contamination and contaminated objects), stopping compulsions and ERP. What you are doing is not really ERP. It is stopping compulsions. You are triggered by some kind of potential contamination. In response you refrain from doing compulsions. That is stopping compulsions, not ERP.

To do ERP at a set time, you purposefully expose yourself to contamination and then you practice not performing compulsions. It helps to have a heirarchy written down of things that bother you, rated from least anxiety provoking to most anxiety provoking. You start near the bottom of the list, exposing yourself perhaps on a daily basis to the contaminant, then practicing not doing compulsions. Repetitive exposures should see your anxiety level going down and the time taken to recover less and less. Once that type of exposure no longer bothers you, you move up the heirarchy to the next item on the list.

Cognitive work is all about teaching yourself to think differently about your obsessions and compulsions. You can begin by looking at what you think is contaminated and perhaps starting to realize that the thing is not contaminated at all, that is just OCD telling you the thing is contaminated. It's realizing that OCD lies, all the time, and you don't have to do compulsions to satisfy your OCD.

• Ashley unpinned this topic